none
How to check installed Exchange 2010 Licenses?

Question

• Dears,

I have already deployed on production Exchange Server 2010. I need to know the detail of the licenses already installed on the server.

Is there any PS command or GUI interface to check the detail of the Exchange License and Edition?

Google is no help for my question, please guys your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards,

Friday, March 16, 2012 3:35 PM

Answers

• Correct, but you can look at Microsoft Exchange On-Premises in EMC.  If you refresh this page it will give you organizational data including the number of CALs required, but it will not tell you how many you actually own nor is their a way to enter CAL information into Exchange at this time.  You cannot control CALs on Exchange 2010.
    • Marked as answer by Terence Yu Monday, March 19, 2012 1:34 AM
    Friday, March 16, 2012 8:34 PM
  • You can have as many mailboxes as you want, the concern here is that you have to have the corresponding licenses, if MSFT audit you and you haven't then you wont be in a good position. 

Sukh

Saturday, March 17, 2012 6:04 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You can open EMC > Server Configuration > from the View you can add Edition

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Krisna Ismayanto | My blogs: Krisna Ismayanto | Twitter: @ikrisna

• Proposed as answer by Vijay Vadher Wednesday, April 10, 2013 3:20 PM
    Friday, March 16, 2012 4:51 PM
  • You can use the following to get the server name, if it is in trial mode, and the edition:

get-exchangeserver | FT Name,IsExchange2007TrialEdition,Edition

There are currently no licensing mechanisms for CALs, so that information is unattainable and I have found no way to enumerate the product key once it is entered.

Friday, March 16, 2012 6:10 PM
  • Does this means there is no way i can get the number of CALs? If Yes how can i control MS Exchange licenses?
    Friday, March 16, 2012 8:10 PM
  • Correct, but you can look at Microsoft Exchange On-Premises in EMC.  If you refresh this page it will give you organizational data including the number of CALs required, but it will not tell you how many you actually own nor is their a way to enter CAL information into Exchange at this time.  You cannot control CALs on Exchange 2010.
    Friday, March 16, 2012 8:34 PM
  • One last question, What would happen if exchange server has a Standard CALs for 100 users, but it has for example 300 mailboxes with Exchange Enterprise features like Online Archive, Mobile Access, etc................

Thank You!

Saturday, March 17, 2012 7:40 AM
  • If you are having 300 Mailbox then it is mandetory to have 300 CALs to access all the 300 Mailbox. ( Each user emailbox requires CAL). If you are running out of CAL in your exchagne enviorment then users wont be able to access their email boxes.

Please refer the below link to understand this better.

Understanding CAL.

http://www.boyce.us/articles/licensing_cals.asp

http://clintboessen.blogspot.in/2010/01/exchange-2010-licensing-and-high.html

Hope this helps.

Regards,

_Prashant_

MCSA|MCITP SA|Microsoft Exchange 2003 Blog - http://prashant1987.wordpress.com Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS-IS with no warranties/guarantees and confers no rights.

Saturday, March 17, 2012 7:59 AM
  • You can have as many mailboxes as you want, the concern here is that you have to have the corresponding licenses, if MSFT audit you and you haven't then you wont be in a good position. 

Sukh

Saturday, March 17, 2012 6:04 PM