none
Send As enable Ditribution lists not generating NDR's.

Question

• Hi,

I need urgent help.

We have exchange 2007 SP2 CCR environment.In this we have created Didtribution group and provided Send as Rights for users who need to send mail behalf of Distribution list.User is able to send mail but for unknown email addresses message Originator not receiving NDR's and OOO messages for receipents.

Please suggest on above.

Note:- When we set option for sending delivery reports to Group Manager its work but not for message originator.

Let us know what are mandetory steps we need to take.

Monday, August 09, 2010 10:25 AM

Answers

• Hi Santosh,

Rich gave goode suggestion.
    Per my known, if you send email to B as DG, and for some reasons, NDR returned, the NDR would delivered according to the configration in the advanced TAB,
    1. send delivery reports to group manager
    2. send delivery reports to messager originator
    3. do not send delivery reports
    When you send as DG, the messager originator is DG, and so the NDR would not be found though your mailbox, you could check the log to confirm where the NDR go. DG has no mailbox. :)
    So, if you want to receive the NDR you could add your account as the owner/manager of the DG.

Regards!
    Gavin

• Marked as answer by Gavin-Zhang Friday, August 13, 2010 7:58 AM
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 7:08 AM
  • Thanks for your detailed explaination all my doubts cleared and I have kept settings as 1.Send deliver reports to group manager and added distribution group's owner in owner.manager of the DG.NDR"s and OOO message are generating and getting in owner's account.

Thanks for your support.

Regards,

Santosh Dalvi (MCTS)

• Marked as answer by Santosh Dalvi Friday, August 13, 2010 5:20 AM
    Friday, August 13, 2010 5:20 AM

All replies

• On Mon, 9 Aug 2010 10:25:33 +0000, Santosh Dalvi wrote:

>I need urgent help.
    >
    >We have exchange 2007 SP2 CCR environment.In this we have created Didtribution group and provided Send as Rights for users who need to send mail behalf of Distribution list.User is able to send mail but for unknown email addresses message Originator not receiving NDR's and OOO messages for receipents.

I'm pretty sure that if you check the SMTP protocol log you'll see
    that the "MAIL FROM" command is the null address ("<>").

If you just send an e-mail to the DL, does the sender get the NDRs?

If you think about it, why would you want the entire DL to get the NDR
    and OOO messages? That's what would happen of the DL received those
    messages.

>Please suggest on above.
    >
    >Note:- When we set option for sending delivery reports to Group Manager its work but not for message originator.
    >
    >Let us know what are mandetory steps we need to take.

I really don't think what you want to do is a good idea.
    ---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
    Monday, August 09, 2010 11:27 PM
  • Thanks Rich for your reply.

If I am sending mail behalf of DL,i am not getting NDR's.I will give you example.

We have DL name as Team HR and wanted to send mail to all employees.I am having send as rights for Team HR DL and able to send mail to all employees but problem is I am not receving NDR's (Failure message) for unknown users (Disabled/deleted Users) also not receiving OOO messages which employees are setting up while going on leave.

This is when we set option for Sending reports to message originator in advanced features of DL.

Please Help!

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 3:58 AM
  • On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 03:58:45 +0000, Santosh Dalvi wrote:

>
    >
    >Thanks Rich for your reply.
    >
    >If I am sending mail behalf of DL,i am not getting NDR's.I will give you example.
    >
    >We have DL name as Team HR and wanted to send mail to all employees.I am having send as rights for Team HR DL

FYI, "Send As" isn't "Send On Behalf Of".

>and able to send mail to all employees but problem is I am not receving NDR's (Failure message) for unknown users (Disabled/deleted Users) also not receiving OOO messages which employees are setting up while going on leave.
    >
    >This is when we set option for Sending reports to message originator in advanced features of DL.
    >
    >Please Help!

Don't send the e-mail "As" or "On Behalf Of" the Distribution Group.
    Create another mailbox (call it "Corporate Communications", for
    example) and send the e-mail to the distribution group as the
    "Corporate Communications" group. Why would you want the message to
    appear as if the Distribution Group sent the message? Would you want
    the NDRs and OOO messages to be sent to the entire DL?
    ---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
    Tuesday, August 10, 2010 11:46 PM
  • Hi Santosh,

Rich gave goode suggestion.
    Per my known, if you send email to B as DG, and for some reasons, NDR returned, the NDR would delivered according to the configration in the advanced TAB,
    1. send delivery reports to group manager
    2. send delivery reports to messager originator
    3. do not send delivery reports
    When you send as DG, the messager originator is DG, and so the NDR would not be found though your mailbox, you could check the log to confirm where the NDR go. DG has no mailbox. :)
    So, if you want to receive the NDR you could add your account as the owner/manager of the DG.

Regards!
    Gavin

• Marked as answer by Gavin-Zhang Friday, August 13, 2010 7:58 AM
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 7:08 AM
  • Thanks for your detailed explaination all my doubts cleared and I have kept settings as 1.Send deliver reports to group manager and added distribution group's owner in owner.manager of the DG.NDR"s and OOO message are generating and getting in owner's account.

Thanks for your support.

Regards,

Santosh Dalvi (MCTS)

• Marked as answer by Santosh Dalvi Friday, August 13, 2010 5:20 AM
    Friday, August 13, 2010 5:20 AM
  • Thank you Gavin-Zhang,  this helped me for  DG NDR issues.

Regards Gopi K

Friday, June 14, 2013 12:43 PM