none
What is the difference in performance between "offline folder only" and "Cached Exchange Mode"

Question

•  Hello,
    I wonder if anyone can help me to answer the following question:
    Is there any difference in Outlook's performance when "Cache Exchange Mode" is not enabled, but an "Offline folder" is configured and when only the "Cache Exchange Mode" is enabled?

In other words, would be correct to say that in both cases “offline folder only” and “Cache Exchange” outlook reads from the local copy, so if there is a server or bandwidth issue the Outlook performance would be same?

Thanks,
    Ben

Friday, February 20, 2009 5:27 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Cached Exchange Mode provides you with a better experience when you encounter the bandwidth issue. A copy of your mailbox is stored on your computer. This copy provides quick access to your data and is frequently updated with the mail server.

In addition, to access the email from the Exchange server directly without Cache Mode, that give more pressure on the performance of Exchange server.

Thus, on the same condition of bandwidth, the cached exchange mode is easy to get good performance when doing the operation.

Especially, if you work offline, whether by choice or due to a connection problem, your data is still available to you instantly wherever you are.

Thanks

Allen
    • Marked as answer by Allen Song Wednesday, March 04, 2009 2:47 AM
    Monday, February 23, 2009 8:44 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Cached Exchange Mode provides you with a better experience when you encounter the bandwidth issue. A copy of your mailbox is stored on your computer. This copy provides quick access to your data and is frequently updated with the mail server.

In addition, to access the email from the Exchange server directly without Cache Mode, that give more pressure on the performance of Exchange server.

Thus, on the same condition of bandwidth, the cached exchange mode is easy to get good performance when doing the operation.

Especially, if you work offline, whether by choice or due to a connection problem, your data is still available to you instantly wherever you are.

Thanks

Allen
    • Marked as answer by Allen Song Wednesday, March 04, 2009 2:47 AM
    Monday, February 23, 2009 8:44 AM
  • Thanks Allen,
    The main issue I needed to find out was if the "Offline Folder" is same as "Cache Exchange". Everything you’ve mentioned are true. what I couldn't find out was that in "offline folder" mode (i.e. no Exchange cache, but with offline folder configured), outlook still talks to Exchange directly not like Cache Exchange where outlook talk to the cache copy (while the cache updated in background). So, from the performance view if there is bandwidth (or intermittent communication) issue with the server, it will be noticed  in "offline folder" but not so when Cache mode since the content come from the cache. I worked it out by validating the traffic in both scenarios. Thanks again.

Cheer,

Ben

Wednesday, March 11, 2009 11:19 PM