none
Can't open or save a pdf attachment in outlook 2003

Question

• Here are the symptoms:

A user subscribes to several mail lists that deliver a pdf file.  User has been using these pdf files fine.

Starting last week, the user can not open the pdf file from one of these mail lists

The message is:

"Can't create file: Rate.pdf. Right-click the folder you want to create the file in, and then click Properties on the shortcut menu to check your permissions for the folder".

Other users subscribe to this mail list and can open or save the file without error.

The user in question can open the file when logging on to other machines

The user in question can open the file when using OWA from their own desktop

I have done the following to try and resolve:

- Reinstall Adobe reader

- Reinstall Office 2003

- Checked user permissions

- Run full A/V scan

- Updated patches

Any suggestions to resolve this?

Thank you

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 12:41 PM

Answers

• Similar to the previous post, I resolved by doing the following:

1. Open REGEDIT.EXE and go to Edit -> Find... In the Find dialog box type "OutlookSecureTempFolder" without the quotes and locate that registry key.

2. That key will contain the actual folder location, and will look like:

C:\Documents and Settings\%USER_NAME%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\OLK#\ (where # is a random letter or number)

3. Copy the location of that folder.

4. Click on Start -> Run... and paste the folder location from step #4 then click OK.

5. Windows Explorer will open that folder. Please, delete all files present.

6. Restart Microsoft Outlook and you should be able to open your attachments.

Tuesday, April 24, 2007 1:16 PM

All replies

• I have the same problem buit with a excel file any idea to solve this??
    • Proposed as answer by Onwidit Monday, June 28, 2010 3:36 PM
    Friday, April 20, 2007 5:05 PM
  • I too have this problem. I gave the user a new laptop with all the latest updates running for Office 2003 and Windows XP SP2. When I make the user a local admin, he is able to open the files attached to the email.

Perhaps the key is in the new laptop. I transferred his Windows 2000 profile over the XP machine. I am also wondering about AV. Could be blocking the process to save the attachement (creating a file) but the local admin rights might disprove this.

Any similarities that you guys can find with your systems?

Andre

Tuesday, April 24, 2007 11:42 AM
  • I was able to resolve this by deleting the Local Settings folder from the user's profile. I guess one can be specific and delete the Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft folder (or even deeper), but since this was a profile that I copied over from another machine, I figured that it is better to allow the computer to recreate this again completely.

I wanted to also keep the user's profile from Windows 2000 so that the user did not have to go and recreate all the settings from scratch.

Hope this helps you.

Tuesday, April 24, 2007 11:56 AM

1. Open REGEDIT.EXE and go to Edit -> Find... In the Find dialog box type "OutlookSecureTempFolder" without the quotes and locate that registry key.

C:\Documents and Settings\%USER_NAME%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\OLK#\ (where # is a random letter or number)

4. Click on Start -> Run... and paste the folder location from step #4 then click OK.

Tuesday, April 24, 2007 1:16 PM
  • Is this a permanent solution and do you have to clear out the folder continously?
    Thursday, April 26, 2007 7:38 PM
  • I had this same issue that you have described with a user that recieves pdf faxes as an attachment in Outlook 2003 that are named file1.pdf. The way I finally got it to open was to recreate the users profile locally on the computer. The user can now open up those attachments with out errors. I hope that helps. Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks
    Saturday, April 28, 2007 7:08 PM
  • I have assessed this issue by examining the files being opened. In my case the file in question always has the same name. The file is a work-order generated from Crystal Reports. The file is always generated with the same name and emailed to a coordinator.

Ideally, the Outlook Temp folder should always be empty, because when a file is closed, the file should disappear from said folder. This is not always the case, though.

That's why you will end up with several files like this in the temp folder:

workorder(1).doc

workorder(2).doc

workorder(99).doc

If Windows is trying to create a file with an identical name to one already there, it will suffix the name with a number like above.

When you've opened the same file so many times, Windows can apparently not continue the count from (100)+ and will result in an error. The method cleaning out the temp folder can't always do its job (the file is possibly still locked for some reason) resulting in garbage getting piled up in OLK2 or OLK75 and similar folders.

After clearing out the OLK folders, attachments could be opened successfully again.

Mind you, it took the user about a year to collect all this garbage resulting in the error. A large number of work-orders flow into that particular mailbox every day, so it does take a while for it to "throw up" Smile

I hope that helps.

Tuesday, May 08, 2007 8:54 AM
  • Hi! I had a problem opening .doc files with outlook 2003... and what bmdvt90 mentioned worked just fine!!!

Thanks! bmdvt90

Monday, May 14, 2007 5:48 AM
  • I am experiencing this problem with a user from our legal department.  This user receives 20 to 30 PDF files each one different and all called document. PDF.  This file is generated from a scanner and uses the same "document. PDF: file name for each document.  By the end of the week the user is no longer able to open another document. PDF attachment now that the OLK temp folder has reached document (99).PDF limit. 

Clearing the OLK temp folder or just the PDF files will fix the problem.  The issue is that the user does not want to manually delete these files.  Is there a switch, parameter or option to enable in Outlook to delete these files automatically the same way that IE does for example?  I could create a script to delete the temp files each time the computer restarts, but I want to avoid that and use it as a last resort.  I know that there are many 3rd party tools that you run independently to clear-out temp files like CCleaner, but I do not want to have the user use them.  Any ideas?

Thanks

John Lucas.

Tuesday, May 22, 2007 9:56 PM
  • There is a flurry of this problem happening recently, likely because of how long people have had their Outlook installations running.  The back-log of same-name files in the Outlook Secure Temp folder is finally reaching the 100 file limit for lots of people.  Is there any word from the Outlook/Office folks at Microsoft on a Outlook setting to automatically cleanup the Secure Temp folder?  Anyone know someone at Microsoft they can ask?  If Outlook doesn't have this auto cleanup feature...that is a pretty significant oversight.
    Friday, June 22, 2007 9:09 PM
  •  bmdvt90 wrote:

Similar to the previous post, I resolved by doing the following:

Thanks!! this fixed the problem

• Proposed as answer by Ofer G Wednesday, December 21, 2011 10:08 AM
    Thursday, July 05, 2007 4:30 PM
  • Thank you for your detailed explanation. This did it for me!
    Friday, July 06, 2007 4:57 PM
  • Big thanks to you....worked just like you said!
    Tuesday, July 17, 2007 1:32 PM
  • I've created a batchfile for my users that have run into this problem

del "c:\documents and settings\%username%\local settings\temporary internet files\(OLK folder name)\*.pdf"

The OLK foldername can be found in the registry, as stated before, by searching for "OutlookSecureTempFolder"

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 8:41 PM
  •  

Hi,

can you please email me the batch file. i would like to use it on my PC since im not confortable editing registry stuff.

please email it to me at notoriousmax@hotmail.com

thank you

frustrated outlook user.

Thursday, August 02, 2007 3:16 PM
  •  Netfelix wrote:

I've created a batchfile for my users that have run into this problem

del "c:\documents and settings\%username%\local settings\temporary internet files\(OLK folder name)\*.pdf"

The OLK foldername can be found in the registry, as stated before, by searching for "OutlookSecureTempFolder"

can you email me the batch file to notoriousmax@hotmail.com

thanks
    Thursday, August 02, 2007 3:20 PM
  •  

I have the same problem as everyone else here… and deleting the files from the OLK directory does work but it is a pain.  Interestingly this only started after installing Adobe Acrobat 8.0. Users scan many documents to themselves… Prior to installing Acrobat the documents would open in the Acrobat Reader and no temporary files were saved and there was no problem with the OLK folder getting clogged up.  Now with the full blown version of Acrobat temporary files are saved… Document(1).pdf – Document(99).pdf … Is there a way to prevent Adobe Acrobat 8.0 from saving temporary files?

Thursday, August 23, 2007 1:13 PM
  • Thanks guys.. one of my user was having the same problem in opening scanned pdf files in Outlook 2003 and the registry solution provided here worked perfect.

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 1:50 PM
  •  bmdvt90 wrote:

Similar to the previous post, I resolved by doing the following:

This method is usless when you have over 100 users all having the same problem and the OLK folder has a different name on every computer.  I need generic batch file that will work on ALL computers regardless of the OLK folder name so it can be run as part of the domain login script.

• Proposed as answer by Mohammed Naeem Thursday, November 04, 2010 1:16 PM
    Thursday, September 06, 2007 3:17 PM
  •  

My problem is a little different.  When I try to open a .pdf attachment in Outlook 2003 the message I get is "application not found" .   What is up with that?  This only just started a couple of weeks ago.  By the way, I can save the .pdf with no problem.  

I did do the "regedit.exe" method above and there were no files in the folder.   

Thursday, September 20, 2007 3:43 PM
  • I'm in the same boat you are.  Any resolution?

Thursday, October 25, 2007 1:56 PM
  • Excellent - thank you.

With your posting, I was able to locate the folder and the culprit.  

I had just recently upgraded to Adobe 8.0 Professional. 

I do a ton of scanning utilizing a combo printer to save for my electronic copies to reduce way too much hard copies. 

The combo printer does not allow me to name the scanned pdf file and automically names the scanned document with a file named "DOCUMENT". 

Everytime I opened an e-mail that had a scanned file with the name "DOCUMENT", a copy was automatically saving to the OLK folder, even if I had save the attached pdf file and renamed the file.

Each scanned file name "DOCUMENT" was saved to the OLK and a number was automatically assigns to each doc.

For example:

Document1

Document2

Document3

When the folder reach Document 99, I (at the time did not know) was maxed out on pdfs autosaves and was received an error message that I was able to open the file.

I clear out the auto saved Document files on a daily basis to prevent having the same problem.

Thanks for your suggestions - it worked perfect.

Thanks,

Sunshine2006

Thursday, November 01, 2007 7:38 PM
  • I have used this fix with success in the past, but now I have a new problem with the same user.  The problem with opening pdf's has now morphed into letting me open normal pdf's that are attached to emails, but when I try to open email/faxes that have been sent from the copier I get the error message "the file cannot be saved, right click .....".  Also when I do the search in the regedit it shows the complete path for the OLK# folder, but when I try to open the OLK# folder it is nowhere to be found.

Thursday, November 15, 2007 3:43 PM
  • You need to do as stated above to find the path because it's hidden, or go my way which is to look for the same path via THE NETWORK PLACES to the computer with the issues, to the user, etc.  As an administrator you'll be able to see the hidden folder OLK.....and be able to clear it out.

Thursday, December 06, 2007 7:02 AM
  • wanted to thank you this fix my issues too

Thursday, December 06, 2007 6:17 PM
  • This has been a headache for some time. Thanks for the great tip!

ITRef

Wednesday, December 26, 2007 4:57 PM
  • This solution worked perfectly.  It sure beat's Adobe's list of possible solutions which includes reinstalling Windows??!!

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 7:05 PM
  • Thank you! Once I found the folder using this method, I ended up saving the folder to my favorites. This eliminates having to go through the registry to find the folder next time.  Another solution is to use a free program called CCleaner to clean up your temp files regularly.  Unfortunately I am not permitted to use the program at work

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 10:48 PM
  • This worked like a champ for me as well!

User had over 1800 items in there, and I went ahead and deleted them all.  She's now able to open up any attachment.  Great find, thanks!

~Shaun
    Tuesday, March 11, 2008 8:39 PM
  • Brilliant!  Worked first time.

Thanks!

D

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 8:13 PM
  • Thanks!

It works since then.

Saturday, May 31, 2008 8:02 AM
  • Thanks for the information.

I had the exact same problem with Outlook 2007 on a Windows VISTA workstation.

the files are stored slightly differently but the fix is the same.
    C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temporary Internet Files\Content.Outlook\X30MWG3N

Monday, June 02, 2008 2:56 PM
  • This resolved my problem. I had a gut feeling there was a problem with files named the same thing and a maximum on the number, but I would not believe my instincts because it seems like such a ridiculous limit. Plus the apps shoul be deleting the temp files.

Monday, June 02, 2008 5:12 PM
  • New local profile did the trick. Nice one jjonte!

Thursday, August 07, 2008 3:12 PM
  • Creating a new local profile is ONLY a short term fix, the problem will continue to reoccur every time the temporary folder reaches its limit.  I was continually creating new local profiles for users on a daily basis and often had to repeat the process for the same users multiple times.  You need to create a batch file that purges the files in the temporary folder on a regular basis to stop the problem from reoccurring.

Sunday, August 10, 2008 1:10 AM
  • I followed these instructions and the problem was solved.  Thanks!

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 5:46 PM
  • Best way to fix this is to put the script into the logon script.
    Example:
    c:
    cd C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files
    del *.pdf
    del *.jpg
    del *.gif
    del *.zip
    del *.mp3
    del *.xls
    del *.ppt
    del *.pps
    del *.doc
    del *.png
    del *.bmp
    del *.txt
    del *.wmv
    del *.w*

Then all users empty the temp folder when logging on

Thursday, August 28, 2008 12:22 PM
  • That won't resolve anything because Acrobat saves these temporary files in a hidden OLK folder beneath the Temporary Internet files.  You need to enter this in a logout script

del "c:\documents and settings\%username%\local settings\temporary internet files\(OLK folder name)\*.*"

The reason for putting it in the logout instead of the login script is to prevent sensitive documents from being left on the local hard drive over night where they can be easily accessed.

Friday, August 29, 2008 4:44 AM
  •  

I have emailed it to you.

Monday, September 15, 2008 3:56 PM
  •  MarySue wrote:

My problem is a little different.  When I try to open a .pdf attachment in Outlook 2003 the message I get is "application not found" .   What is up with that?  This only just started a couple of weeks ago.  By the way, I can save the .pdf with no problem.  

I did do the "regedit.exe" method above and there were no files in the folder.   

Did anyone ever get a solution for this.  I can save to my dos.. then open, but can't open directly in outlook

Monday, October 06, 2008 4:20 PM
  • I have followed all the steps but ...
    Here is a problem - under the
    C:\Documents and Settings\%USER_NAME%\Local Settings\
    there is no folder with temporary internet files (only TEMP) and the files are directly under that. Deleted them and nothing worked

There is no "OutlookSecureTempFolder" in the registry either.

Still will the same problem - can`t open the attachment, any other ideas
    Thursday, October 16, 2008 5:22 PM
  • There's a post on page 2 of this thread that gets at the part I'd like to understand and fix.

Setup - we send linking files around, they're all named Link1.ndl

If I watch the OLK directory when opening attachments, you see the following:

Reader pane is closed (this is important).

Open an email and open it's attachment.

You see the attachment show up in the OLK dir.

Open a 2nd email message (leave the first open), open another attachment, see Link1 (2).ndl show up.

Repeat and see more and more (n) files show up.

Start closing down email messages and the temp files go away.

How the heck do you get to (99) files?  Nobody in their right mind would be opening 99 emails, leaving them open and opening 99 identically named attachment links in one sitting...

Make the files go away when they're supposed to and this problem goes away.

Anybody know how you'd get to (99) files?

Thursday, October 30, 2008 7:47 PM
  • I deleted the temp files and the user was able to open the pdf attachment, and since there has not been another issue with this problem!
    THANKS!
    Monday, November 03, 2008 1:10 PM
  • it seems a good idea to enter the script in the logout script; can you please assist me in where to find the logout script; I have done many the startup but no the logout.

thanks,

K,

Tuesday, December 02, 2008 10:00 PM
  • Dear bmdvt90,
    thanks for the quick fix help--it worked like a charm. I can't believe this thing tied me up for months!
    Thursday, February 19, 2009 8:55 PM
  • what if you do not have regedit access?
    Tuesday, May 05, 2009 3:44 PM
  • i went to that particular folder as i was not able to paste bigger pdf files into my outlook 2003 messages, smaller attachments seem to work ok
    so within the folder i just del some stuffs away and it works
    Monday, August 10, 2009 1:35 PM
  • I was wondering if there was an ADOBE fix as this seems to have just started happening to the users that have 8.0 installed and get the same file name for a AMEX travel as a report for their expense account. "MyTravelPlans.pdf"
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 3:18 PM
  • This worked for us, I recommend doing it this way.
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 3:25 AM
  • I have Outlook 2003, Vista and just put Adobe Reader 9.3 on the computer.
    I cleared out regedit outlook temp folder as previous posts suggested.
    I still cannot open PDF files in Outlook when people send them to me as attachments in an e-mail.  I get a little pop-up box that says "The parameter is Incorrect"

please please help.
    i can save the pdf to the desktop, but opening it straight from outlook as an attachment does not work.
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 7:44 PM
  • Thanks for the tip on the location of the Outlook Temporary files. Once I had that, all I needed to do was delete the file that was causing the issue.
    Friday, May 14, 2010 4:35 PM
  • first of all, bmdvt90, i cannot believe you would advise someone to open regedit and change a key without exporting their registrty first.... OMG .. you should be able to open those files again by reassociating the file types.
    Saturday, May 15, 2010 8:03 AM
  • This solved the issue I was having, thanks a bunch.
    Monday, May 17, 2010 1:00 PM
  • first of all, bmdvt90, i cannot believe you would advise someone to open regedit and change a key without exporting their registrty first.... OMG .. you should be able to open those files again by reassociating the file types.

I don't believe bmdvt90 mentioned anything about modifying a value in the registry. He just said find the entry and then copy the value in the OutlookSecureTempFolder field.
    Wednesday, June 23, 2010 4:41 PM
  • http://www.howto-outlook.com/products/outlooktempcleaner.htm - just download this nice little tool from this site and after installation, click on Clear Folder and no more issues until the next time the folder is full.  No registry issues and easy tool for the average end user!
    Monday, June 28, 2010 3:40 PM
  • Hi,

I just followed your instructions, and found exactly what you suggested!

Once rebooted Outlook, all still stayed the same. My Pdf file has the little e icon on it and when I double click, nothing happens??

I am despearte to look at these files, what to do as I have to proof them and send them on again??

Desperate!!

Ettienne

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 2:01 PM
  • Hi,

it's not worked for me. i have deleted all the temp files in the outlooksecurefolder. created new outlook profile same issue. i dont want to rename the user profile.

Regars,

A.Ajay

IT-Analyst

FLSmidth Pvt Ltd.

India.

Regards, A.Ajay
    Monday, January 31, 2011 10:16 AM

It worked perfectly fine I followed the same process as mentioned above and fixed it. Thank you very much.
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 8:10 PM
  • Thanks to bmdvt90!!!

It was the right solution! (for outlook 2007!)

It looks like files can not manipulate at this location ("OutlookSecureTempFolder") more than 99 times!

Well done!

Wednesday, December 21, 2011 10:07 AM