none
Migrate Exchange 2003 to 2010 on new server

Question

• Hello All,

I am setting up a new SBS 2011 server.  I have an old SBS 2003 server and would like to migrate the Exchange data to the new server.  Is there a way to move the Exchange 2003 data files and then import them into 2010 on the new server?  We don't use public folders so this will not be an issue and we have < 30 users to move to the new server.  I will be decommisioning the old server and will be giving he new server the same server name and domain to make the shares from clients work correctly.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Rob Battaglia

Tuesday, February 05, 2013 3:36 PM

Answers

• Hi,

While migrating from one Exchange to another Exchange take care of the following steps:

1) Administrative Rights 
    2) Active Directory Permission for the new users creation (if you are creating) while migrating the data from existing exchange to new exchange. 
    3) While you are migrating you should also need to take care of things like Special Identification of each users when you are moving from the existing Exchange to the new Exchange 
    4) Even after migration (Whether you will be using a tool or manually), you need to create every user profile manually and it will ask for the outlook version. 
    5) You also have to take use of the cmdlet command to move the data. 
    6) During the move you also need to take care of the SMTP  for moving purpose. 
    7) Proper two way routing connection.

Wednesday, February 06, 2013 10:19 AM
  • Hi,
    If you need help with migrating from SBS 2003 > SBS 2011, I would suggest that you ask in the SBS Forum.
    It is there you will find the experts on Small Business Server.

A good start:

Migrate Windows Small Business Server 2003 to Windows Small Business Server 2011 Standard
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-US/library/gg563801.aspx

Martina Miskovic

Tuesday, February 05, 2013 3:54 PM

All replies

• Not too familiar with SBS but i'm pretty sure you would have to perform a side by side migration.

• Proposed as answer by Sukh828 Tuesday, February 05, 2013 3:54 PM
    Tuesday, February 05, 2013 3:38 PM
  • Hi,
    If you need help with migrating from SBS 2003 > SBS 2011, I would suggest that you ask in the SBS Forum.
    It is there you will find the experts on Small Business Server.

A good start:

Migrate Windows Small Business Server 2003 to Windows Small Business Server 2011 Standard
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-US/library/gg563801.aspx

Martina Miskovic

Tuesday, February 05, 2013 3:54 PM
  • Good info from the rest of the members here and I agree that you would need to do a side by side migration, however if you want to be able to migrate the information from the mailbox EDB into  a new 2010 Production server check out Lucid8's DigiScope http://www.lucid8.com/product/digiscope.asp since it will allow you to open an offline copy of the Exchange 2003 EDB so that you can Browse, Search and Export mailboxes, folders and items to PST & MSG, OR in your case you can import/migrate/recover the data directly from the offline 2003 EDB into the Production 2010 Server.

Troy Werelius
    www.Lucid8.com
    Search, Recover, & Extract Mailboxes, Folders, & Email Items from Offline EDB's and Live Exchange Servers or Import/Migrate direct from Offline EDB to Any Production Exchange Server, even cross version i.e. 2003 --> 2007 --> 2010 with Lucid8's DigiScope

Tuesday, February 05, 2013 7:03 PM
  • Hi,

While migrating from one Exchange to another Exchange take care of the following steps:

1) Administrative Rights 
    2) Active Directory Permission for the new users creation (if you are creating) while migrating the data from existing exchange to new exchange. 
    3) While you are migrating you should also need to take care of things like Special Identification of each users when you are moving from the existing Exchange to the new Exchange 
    4) Even after migration (Whether you will be using a tool or manually), you need to create every user profile manually and it will ask for the outlook version. 
    5) You also have to take use of the cmdlet command to move the data. 
    6) During the move you also need to take care of the SMTP  for moving purpose. 
    7) Proper two way routing connection.

Wednesday, February 06, 2013 10:19 AM