none
Outlook 2007 keeps going into offline mode.

Question

• I have a client who is using outlook 2007 connected to Exchange 2007. Outlook 2007 keeps going into offline mode. This has happened several times in the last month. I un check use cached exchange mode, but then Outlook won't connect at all. I can un check work offline then everything works fine for a day or two. I have checked the cable/other network connections and the user is able to connect fine to the server/Internet/other network resources. What is causing otulook to go into offline mode and how can I fix it. Thanks.

Tuesday, July 06, 2010 4:58 PM

Answers

• Hi,

When you use a Microsoft Exchange Server e-mail account, working offline allows you to continue working with a local copy of your information.  If Outlook loses its connection to the Exchange server for a while, it may go into Offline mode. More information, please see the followling article:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/about-working-offline-HP005251652.aspx

You configure outlook to awaly connect to exchange server:

1.On the Tools menu, click E-mail Accounts, click View or change existing e-mail accounts, and then click Next.
    2.In the Outlook processes e-mail for these accounts in the following order list, click Microsoft Exchange Server, and then click Change.
    3.Click More Settings.  click Manually control connection state, and then click Connect with the network.

Then please test to see if the issue persists.

• Marked as answer by JasonS134 Wednesday, July 07, 2010 2:01 PM
    Wednesday, July 07, 2010 7:12 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Try the Clt + right click on outlook icon on task bar & the check the connection status & check in which part is getting stuck & try troubleshooting accordingly.

Ripu Daman Mina | MCSE 2003 & MCSA Messaging
    Tuesday, July 06, 2010 5:16 PM
  • I don't know if it is necessarily a problem with just one user. A couple of other have been saying the same problem has been happening. But most of the office is fine. It wouldn't be a software/hardware compatibility issue because we all use the same hardware and software.
    Tuesday, July 06, 2010 6:01 PM
  • Are all these users on the same message store? Are there any plug-ins? Do they lose connectivity to the entire network or just Exchange?

Mark Morowczynski|MCT| MCSE 2003:Messaging, Security|MCITP:EMA 2K7,EDA Win 7,ES,SA,EA|MCTS:Windows Mobile Admin|Security+|http://almostdailytech.com
    Wednesday, July 07, 2010 1:15 AM
  • Hi,

When you use a Microsoft Exchange Server e-mail account, working offline allows you to continue working with a local copy of your information.  If Outlook loses its connection to the Exchange server for a while, it may go into Offline mode. More information, please see the followling article:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/about-working-offline-HP005251652.aspx

You configure outlook to awaly connect to exchange server:

1.On the Tools menu, click E-mail Accounts, click View or change existing e-mail accounts, and then click Next.
    2.In the Outlook processes e-mail for these accounts in the following order list, click Microsoft Exchange Server, and then click Change.
    3.Click More Settings.  click Manually control connection state, and then click Connect with the network.

Then please test to see if the issue persists.

• Marked as answer by JasonS134 Wednesday, July 07, 2010 2:01 PM
    Wednesday, July 07, 2010 7:12 AM
  • I think that may be the answer I'm looking for. Thanks Gen Lin. Now all I need to do is find a way to push that setting out through group policy.
    Wednesday, July 07, 2010 2:01 PM
  • does anybody know if this can be done in GPO?
    Wednesday, July 28, 2010 8:23 PM