none
Outlook 2010 messages freeze in outbox, do not autosave, then disappear after Outlook locks up

Question

• We are running Exchange 2003 and have had every version of Outlook on it since 2000. We just recently finished putting everyone on 2010 and at least 7 users have reported this problem.

I see a couple issues. For some random reason a message will logjam the outbox. Auto save to drafts is the default 3 minutes but I get complaints of "I worked on that email for 20-30 minutes" and it's not in the drafts folder. Then it logjams in the outbox. Then Outlook will lock up altogether and upon re-launch all the logjammed messages are gone. Not in sent, drafts, deleted, or even outbox anymore. We had none of these issues on 2007 so I'm wondering if it's Outlook 2010 specific. mail gets cleaned upstream with exchange hosted services and the server itself is running antigen. I'm not concerned so much with the messages logjamming in Outlook but more with the fact that it's not autosaving, going to drafts and not there in the outbox upon rebooting.

I guess that's the long way of saying I can go figure out why messages aren't going out, but not auto deleting and nowhere to be found.

thanks in advance....

Jeff

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 9:50 PM

All replies

• anybody? since I've asked the question we uninstalled Antigen. Sometimes the icon can be right clicked and "cancel server request" will make Outlook usable again, but more often than not Outlook locks up and messagest just disappear. None of this behavior was present when everyone was on Outlook 2007 so I'm wondering if the way Outlook 2010 works has a difference somewhere that is causing this problem....
    Wednesday, September 01, 2010 9:47 PM
  • Did you ever find a solution to this? We're having the same issue.

Thanks,

Vin

Tuesday, March 01, 2011 6:39 PM
  • No, but we moved to Microsoft hosted Exchange Online and of course it went away being on a different server. Funny enough, after we migrated to office 365, this JUST happened again and I found my old thread while seeing if anything new was online...hopefully this does not continue.
    Thursday, May 03, 2012 11:48 PM
  • Is Microsoft burying their heads in the sand on this one?

We have the same mail loss problem.  Recently upgraded to Outlook 2010.  I have NEVER seen this problem on earlier versions of Outlook.

One of my users just lost 33 e-mail messages and an entire morning of work because Outlook kicked out a bogus error about "not having permission to send".  I had the user close Outlook then re-open.  Now user can send mail, but everything in the Outbox is gone!

This is a SERIOUS issue that Microsoft needs to address!  Outlook should never delete a message from the outbox until that message has been successfully sent -- and then should ALWAYS move it to sent items!

Friday, May 04, 2012 7:45 PM
  • anybody? since I've asked the question we uninstalled Antigen. Sometimes the icon can be right clicked and "cancel server request" will make Outlook usable again, but more often than not Outlook locks up and messagest just disappear. None of this behavior was present when everyone was on Outlook 2007 so I'm wondering if the way Outlook 2010 works has a difference somewhere that is causing this problem....

It is not an antigen problem.  We do not use antigen.
    Friday, May 04, 2012 7:45 PM
  • No, but we moved to Microsoft hosted Exchange Online and of course it went away being on a different server. Funny enough, after we migrated to office 365, this JUST happened again and I found my old thread while seeing if anything new was online...hopefully this does not continue.

All hope is lost!  I thought maybe Microsoft is hiding because it is a compatibility issue with older Exchange servers.  We are getting ready to upgrade, so I had hope this problem would go away.

Maybe I should nix the idea of upgrading Exchange -- and instead start looking for a new communications platform.  We all accept a lot of Microsoft bugs, but lost e-mail is not something my company can accept.

Friday, May 04, 2012 7:48 PM