none
can receive mail but can not send mail through 2010 exchange server

Question

• Hi All

I hav just installed exchange 2010 into exisiting exchange 2007 sp2 network.  Can not send mail. just hangs in queue 421 4.4.2 error.  Have been searching with no luck.  Have moved public folders and mailboxes to exchange 2010.  Created new Send connector for Internet email. 

Any thoughts appreciated

Wednesday, October 06, 2010 6:29 PM

All replies

• Do you still have the Internet Send connector configured on the 2007 server as well?  Just configure one send connector for your organization.  Which exact queue is it hanging it?

Tim Harrington - Catapult Systems - http://HowDoUC.blogspot.com
    Wednesday, October 06, 2010 6:41 PM
  • Hi Tim

Thanks you for your response,  yes it is still installed on exchnage 2007. i tried to remove or disable and both failed

Wednesday, October 06, 2010 7:02 PM
  • I have deleted and created new send connector on exchaneg 2010 emails stuck in exchange 2010 queue
    Wednesday, October 06, 2010 7:06 PM
  • Hi again

it appears that the connector is in Send connector field inside it is only pointing to new 2010 server, i removed 2007 server from that connector

Wednesday, October 06, 2010 7:24 PM
  • You do not need to create send connectors to route email betweent the 2007 and 2010 server (this is done automatically).  Send connectors are only needed to route email to the internet or a foreign host.  If I misunderstood, please clarify.
    Wednesday, October 06, 2010 8:01 PM
  • Hi again

not sure what is going on, i replied to a email to a verizon address and it went through.  all others so far have not, so now i have a intermittent issue??

Wednesday, October 06, 2010 8:08 PM
  • Can you run a Get-SendConnector?  How many do you have listed?  So what is not working?  Just external email or internal as well?
    Wednesday, October 06, 2010 8:13 PM
  • Hi again

Yes i can get the Send Connector SMTP:*;1 enabled true

internal mail works fine just outbound Internet email

Wednesday, October 06, 2010 8:25 PM
  • In your send connector, are you sending to a smarthost?  Do you have the box checked to "Use the External DNS Lookup settings on the transport server"?  If so, uncheck it and restart the Transport service.

More info: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa997285.aspx

Wednesday, October 06, 2010 8:38 PM
  • Thanks for your assstance, all is configured well i will continue testing,
    Wednesday, October 06, 2010 9:57 PM
  • HI

Here is the latest am having some interesting items.  I installed 2010 sp1 exchnage into a 2007 sp2 exchange network.  receiving mail ok, however sending some mail is held up in queue.  Some mail is getting through.  All settings have been transferred to exchange 2010. well at least i think so,  Any thoughts.  Thanks

Ed

Thursday, October 07, 2010 1:04 PM
  • Is the queue the SMTP Internet connector queue?  Does all mail eventually get delievered or is some of it bounced back?  On the emails stuck in the queue, can you open the message in the queue and see that the retry error is?
    Thursday, October 07, 2010 1:30 PM
  • Mr. Harrington,

I'm hoping that you check back on this thread because it seems somewhat familiar to my situation.

We've got 2003 using a smarthost to transport emails to users within the organization who are not on exchange as well as external recipients SMTP.DOMAIN.COM.  This has worked fine for many years.

I deployed 2010, setup the connectors for 2003/2010 coexistence and I added a smarthost on 2010 pointing to the same SMTP.DOMAIN.COM.

This was working fine and then out of nowhere it's not.  2010 users can email 2003 users and external recipients but I'm not getting resolution for IMAP users who are within the organization but not on exchange (2003 or 2010).  2003 users are able to send/receive to everyone (exchange/imap and external).  2010 users can only email 2010/2003 users and external.

Are you saying that I should delete one of the send connectors?  Can 2010 use the send connector that 2003 is using or should it be the other way around?

note:  my organization is kind of weird in terms of the environment...my active directory sits in a child namespace for a domain that runs Unix mail and DNS...so I'm AD-DOMAIN.DOMAIN.COM.

For accepted domains I have:
    ad-domain.domain.com
    domain.com = default

both set as authoritative.  If I switch domain.com (which technically would be the Unix Mail/DNS namespace with IMAP users) so internal relay seems to be a better choice here...when I do this, it hangs up all of the queues in 2003.

Respectfully,

Ken Friend

kfriend
    Monday, October 11, 2010 5:23 PM
  • My send connector stays in the 'ServiceDown' status. I have the 'Network' set to 'Use domain name system (DNS) "MX" records to route mail automatically'. I can't fix it.
    Tuesday, October 26, 2010 6:31 AM
  • There is problems with SMTP Host setup. Do one think just go to the SMTP > properties (just remove old one server and set the new SMTP server name space.

restart the HT services and also check firewall, if you're using. I believe you're using static NAT on firewall for the Exchange 2010. run telnet command on you're Exchange server 2010 to connect any internet domain so that you'll be confident by firewall side.

Thanks

Shambhu

sam
    Tuesday, October 26, 2010 8:27 AM
  • Thanks for the reply. I've given up on Exchange 2010. SBS 2008 is way easier. Thanks.
    • Proposed as answer by eiger3970 Thursday, January 06, 2011 1:17 AM
    Thursday, January 06, 2011 1:17 AM