none
Oulook 2010 (on exchange 2010): "Cannot open this item" after search in online archive on indexed mail

Question

• Hi,

Has anyone seen this behaviour also on Outlook 2010?

We are running Exchange 2010 with an outlook 2010 client.

The user opens his online archive and searches for a mail (older than one day in archive so it should be indexed).
    The search succesfully locates the mail, but when opening it the error: "Cannot open this item" shows up.
    No additional information can be found.

If we do not use the search and look the mail up manually in the online archive, we don't get the error.
    So to me this is search / indexing related.

Any help would be appreciated!

Regards,

Filip

Tuesday, November 23, 2010 8:44 AM

All replies

• Hi Filip,

For this issue, I want to clarify the following information:

1.       What’s the version of your Exchange Server and Outlook ?

2.       Could you reproduce the issue?

3.       Do you install the latest updates on your Exchange Server and Outlook?

Troubleshoot steps:

1.       If your Outlook or Exchange Server have not installed the latest updates, please have a try after you install the latest updates.

2.       Please recreate the profile to have a try.

3.       please check the application log for related log<Start->Run->eventvwr>.

If the problem persists, please feel free to let me know and I will be glad to help.

Thanks,

Evan

Friday, November 26, 2010 8:32 AM
  • We have the same issue.

Exchange 2010 SP1

Outlook 2010 (14.0.5128.5000) 32-bit on Win 7 Client

1. User opens online archive from Outlook.  User can open every item in Archive.

2. User searches for an item.  User locates item, however, receives "Cannot open this item" for every item in the search results in the Online Archive.

This issue does not exist in OWA 2010.  The user can correctly open items in the search results from OWA.

Event Log from Win 7 Client:

Microsoft Outlook

Cannot open this item.

P1: 300064

P2: 14.0.4763.1000

P3: gkkh

P4: 0x80040107

Recreating the profile does not resolve the issue.

Tuesday, December 14, 2010 9:21 PM
  • I have the same problem.

Did you find a solution for this problem.

Thanks

Amir

Thursday, January 13, 2011 3:17 PM
  • We are having the same issue out of both Outlook 2007 and 2010.  Is there any solution yet?
    Monday, January 24, 2011 5:10 PM
  •  

We think this might be related to Symantec Enterprise Vault items that were restored (before moving the mailbox to Exchange 2010).  Does this make sense to anyone else?

Friday, February 04, 2011 4:18 PM
  • Anyone have a fix for this yet? 

It seems to be random, restart Outlook and seems to fix it for a day or two and then reappears.  Some users have it one day and then another group...

thanks

David

Wednesday, February 09, 2011 11:02 PM
  •  

SR with Microsoft: This is a known bug.  Hotfix to be available by end of Feb.

• Proposed as answer by davidbrabant1 Friday, February 11, 2011 12:20 AM
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 4:52 PM
  • fantastic... thanks for the reply
    Friday, February 11, 2011 12:20 AM
  • SR with Microsoft: This is a known bug.  Hotfix to be available by end of Feb.

Any more detail on this hotfix? Getting the same issue.

Wednesday, February 16, 2011 6:53 PM
  • SR with Microsoft: This is a known bug.  Hotfix to be available by end of Feb.

I contacted MS again today. I'll let you know if I find out anything more on the hotfix.
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 7:09 PM

I contacted MS again today. I'll let you know if I find out anything more on the hotfix.

Same problem with Outlook 2007 client.
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 10:26 AM
  • The Outlook 2010 and Outlook 2003 Feb CUs have been delayed until possibly next week. The Outlook 2007 Feb CU is publicly available.  This must be the Outlook 2007 fix  (although I have no way of testing this right now).

No fixed date on the Outlook 2010 CU.

Thursday, February 24, 2011 2:04 PM
  •  

Hi all,

What you can do to fix this:

If you're running Exchange 2010 SP1, reseed your catalog index. Use EMS, with this command:

Update-MailboxDatabaseCopy –Identity DB1\MBX1 –CatalogOnly

If you're running Exchange 2010 RTM, you have to rebuild the catalog index. To do so, follow these steps:

- On the Exchange Mailbox server, stop the "Microsoft Exchange Search Indexer" service

- Open Windows Explorer, browse to the database path and rename/delete the folder with name "CatalogData...."

- Start the "Microsoft Exchange Search Indexer" service

Depending on the size of the database it can take up to 48 hours before the index is rebuild.

If you want to know when the indexing has finished, execute this command in EMS before you do the rebuild steps:

Set-EventLogLevel “MSExchange Search Indexer\General” –level Expert

Set-EventLogLevel “MSExchange Search Indexer\Configuration” –level Expert

In Event Viewer, application log, search for event id 108. This means index rebuild is running.

Exchange Search Indexer has enabled indexing for the Mailbox Database %database name% (GUID = %database GUID%)

Search for Event id 110, meaning indexing has finished

Exchange Search Indexer completed a full crawl (indexing) of Mailbox Database %database name% (GUID = %database GUID%)

to set the logging level back to normal, execute these commands in EMS:

Set-EventLogLevel “MSExchange Search Indexer\General” –level Lowest

Set-EventLogLevel “MSExchange Search Indexer\Configuration” –level Lowest

Hope this helps

Peter

Friday, February 25, 2011 8:34 AM
  • http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2475877 is the Outlook 2010 x86 Feb 2011 hotfix.  This fixed the issue for me.

From the KB: You perform a search in all the email messages in an Outlook 2010 mailbox. Then, you double-click an email message in the search results. In this situation, you cannot open the email message. Additionally, you receive the following error message:  Cannot open this item.

• Proposed as answer by NateClark Tuesday, March 01, 2011 9:02 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by NateClark Tuesday, February 14, 2012 1:24 PM
    Tuesday, March 01, 2011 9:00 PM
  • The hotfix didn't work for me.  Using OUtlook 2010 and getting the "Cannot open this item" error when trying to open messages restored from CA Arcserve backups.  Restored messages can be opened using OWA.

I've tried this on 3 different computers under 3 different user accounts, all using Outlook2010.  I just tried using Outlook 2003 and the messages were accessible there.  Just Outlook2010 seems to have the problem.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 8:53 PM
  • installed this hotfix on 5 clients for testing 4 work and 1 has had no effect. all machines have been rebooted.

Wednesday, April 13, 2011 8:42 PM
  • We are running Outlook 2007 SP2 with the latest updates and we have Exchange 2010 SP1 rollup 2 and we are experiencing the same symptoms. Is there a patch for Outlook 2007 SP2 to resolve this issue? I can't seem to find one that works.

Thanks in advance for any updates.

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 9:56 PM
  • Please try applying the below hotfix,

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2540106

Thanks

Mohammed Kasim

Mohammed Kasim
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 7:40 PM
  • Mohammed the hotfix fixed not being able to open the email but the preview still didn't work.

I installed Office 2010 Service Pack 1 and it seems to have fixed the issue completely. However most of my users are still on Outlook 2007 and experience the same symptoms. Is there any fix available for Outlook 2007?

Monday, July 11, 2011 1:41 PM
  • If I am using Office 2007 (Word-Excel)SP2 and Only Outlook Retail 2010 for Archiving feature what patch do I apply to take Outlook 2010 Retail to SP1 ?
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 1:29 AM
  • I am using 2007 Professional Plus, and I have the same problem, and I do not see a hotfix for this version.  Please help!
    Thomas Murray
    Tuesday, November 08, 2011 9:28 PM
  • What about for Office 2007?
    Thomas Murray
    Tuesday, November 08, 2011 9:29 PM
  • Any idea on this hotfix, now its Jan 2012?

We have Outlook 2010 users with Office 2010 x86 Pro Plus with Office 2010 SP1 installed + all hotfixes and Exchange 2010 SP1 with UR6 installed (not SP2 yet)

EXACT same issue. We find if you close outlook, reopen, go to archive, do the same search it then works... Bizarre...

Andy

Wednesday, January 04, 2012 9:54 AM
  • I'm getting reports of same problem with Outlook 2007 SP3 connected to an Exchange 2010 SP1 RU6 mailbox with an online archive.  The problem seems to be intermittent.   I've seen a user close Outlook 2007 and reopen the application, and the problem goes away.  

I'd like to open a case with microsoft support, but, I can't recreate the problem (I've had multipe users report this issue, as well).  I haven't seen the problem with Outlook 2010 SP1 (yet).

Thursday, January 26, 2012 8:42 PM
  • We're having the same issue also.

A user can search for an archive email, and it won't preview (they have to open it to see it).

If they browse to that email having not searched for it, it previews and opens fine.

Office 2010 (fully up to date) running on Exchange 2010 SP2.

Any word from MS on this? A confirmed issue?

Monday, February 06, 2012 12:01 PM
  • We're having the same issue also.

A user can search for an archive email, and it won't preview (they have to open it to see it).

If they browse to that email having not searched for it, it previews and opens fine.

Office 2010 (fully up to date) running on Exchange 2010 SP2.

Any word from MS on this? A confirmed issue?

Yep, same issue where Exchange 2010 SP2 across 18 servers, Office 2010 fully patched and service packs.. same error, same symptoms. Can also reproduce on Outlook2007 fully patched too. Cached/Online mode makes no difference (even though the archive mailbox isnt cached anyway)

No problem when doing this in OWA 2010

Come on Microsoft, this is clearly a bug!!!

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 12:48 PM
  • We are having the same issue.

We have Exchange 2010 SP1, connecting with Outlook 2007 which is fully patched with the updates available from Windows Update as of 2/17/2012.  Anyone who tries to search JUST the Online Archive folders that they have, they randomly seem to get the message "Cannot open item"

Any ideas on the fix yet?  This is so agitating that Microsoft pushes this as an atlernative to Personal Folders on the network, and you migrate all your users too it and they have this sort of bug in it.

Friday, February 17, 2012 2:31 PM
  • Same exact issue here! Office 2007 running SP3 and Exchange 2010 running SP2 Rollup 6. Users are getting error in instant search "Cannot open item" however it is searching. I am unable to find any patches that can fix the issue. 
    Thursday, February 23, 2012 4:27 PM
  • I have a ticket open with Microsoft. I know they released a hotfix for Outlook 2010, but what about 2007? We are running SP3 all patched and the issue is still present. The DB seems to be fine since it works via the Outlook Web App. This seems to be an issue with the client itself. I am tempted to see what changes were made in the Outlook 2010 hotfix, and make them manually. If indexing on the Exchange 2010 DB was at fault the error would also exist in the web app. I tried to see if it worked in Outlook 2010, but I can only get a "retail" trial version which does no support the online archive feature. I'd love to hear from anyone experiencing the issue, even if you don't have it working to demonstrate the issue is widespread.
    Wednesday, March 14, 2012 3:39 PM
  • Does http://support.microsoft.com/kb/831402 resolve the issue for anyone?

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 3:56 PM
  • Anyone find a fix for Outlook 2007?
    Thursday, April 26, 2012 7:50 PM
  • _Ryan_  Does http://support.microsoft.com/kb/831402 resolve the issue for '07?

Thursday, April 26, 2012 7:52 PM
  • I still see this issue happening across our organization periodically.  I am on Exchange 2010 SP2 RU2 and using fully up to date versions of Outlook 2007 and 2010.  I am still looking for a permanent fix if anyone has it.
    Monday, June 11, 2012 6:23 PM
  • Hi,

Had this issue with Exchange 2010 SP2 + RU2 and Outlook 2007 SP3 + latest patches as of today. I found on another forum (can't find the link again, cleared browser history before i knew fix worked) this method that so far has fixed the issue for me:

Clear the forms cache

1. On the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the Other tab.
    2. Click Advanced Options.
    3. In the Advanced Options box, click Custom Forms.
    4. In the Custom Forms box, click Manage Forms.
    5. In the Forms Manager box, click Clear Cache.

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 2:10 AM
  • Anyone know if this has been fixed from MS?

Disabling the preview pane does not work.  Deleting the forms cache does not work. Recreating the Cat Index does not work.

Monday, July 02, 2012 3:36 PM
  • 1) Apply the hotfix mentioned in the article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2540106  for Outlook 2010.

2) Apply the hotfix mentioned in the article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2596993 and  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2597964  for Outlook 2007 .

This is from a case I opened with MS Support.  Seems to be working for the past few weeks.

Monday, July 02, 2012 3:38 PM
  • Thanks.  I will bug my TAM for this as it only offers 64 bit package.
    Sunday, August 05, 2012 1:06 AM
  • I had 3 computers experiencing the same issue: Search the online archive, double-click a result to open, receive error "cannot open item". The solution for my computers was to apply the hotfix found at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2596485 . The exact issue is described in another KB found at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2544027 which links to the first KB I listed.

• Proposed as answer by Sha4U Sunday, November 17, 2013 10:50 AM
    Wednesday, September 19, 2012 6:18 PM
  • We experienced the same issue with a workstation using Outlook 2010.

Message was saved in the "Drafts" and user sends it out on a monthly basis. However, this time around they received the alert message 

"Cannot open this item"

We reviewed the KB Hotfixes listed here (2596485) and (2475877) that were installed and both had been applied:

We were still getting the error message ...

We then opened the user's mailbox in OWA.

- Opened the email DRAFT and the message opened fine. 

- Then in the body of the DRAFT email message we added a new piece of text (just a few characters) to refresh contents of the draft > CLICKED SAVE in email message.

- Went back to Outlook 2010 on Client machine and error message is no longer appearing.

Hope this helps someone else in a pinch :)

Friday, April 11, 2014 10:48 PM