none
Problem setting default mail server in DAG

Question

• We're having a bit of a tricky issue right now. We have two mail servers set up in a DAG. Mail1 is the "primary" while mail2 is the secondary. When we migrated everyone over, some users' profiles showed mail2 as their default mail server and we can't seem to change that. Today, we had to take #2 offline for maintenance. Any of the users connected to #2 are now also offline (they can still use webmail fine).

I could swear there was a command I used a while back to set autodiscovery to make EVERYONE'S default server their primary.

What do I need to do??

Wednesday, May 02, 2012 7:07 PM

Answers

All replies

• I realize this may not exactly be a DAG issue, btw....
    Wednesday, May 02, 2012 7:15 PM
  • What's the RPCClientAccess value on each DB?

Do you have a CAS Array?

Dedicated CAS servers or CAS role on same server as DAG?

Sukh

Wednesday, May 02, 2012 7:17 PM
  • We do not currently has a CAS array set up (at least I don't recall setting that up!).

I believe set-rpcclientasscess was what I ran a while ago to set them all to be mail1. When I run get-rpc.... Both servers have mailboxes and public folders listed under responsibility.

I believe I set both of them up as CAS servers, which may not have been the right thing to do.

• Edited by DevRock Wednesday, May 02, 2012 7:24 PM
    Wednesday, May 02, 2012 7:24 PM
  • Can you check the RPCClientAccess value on each DB.

Sukh

Wednesday, May 02, 2012 7:34 PM
  • Would you mind providing the command? I can't seem to find it.

Wednesday, May 02, 2012 7:36 PM
  • That only gets it for the server, not the individual databases. That's what I ran earlier.
    Wednesday, May 02, 2012 7:48 PM
  • That only gets it for the server, not the individual databases. That's what I ran earlier.

Get-MailboxDatabase | fl rpc*, name
    Wednesday, May 02, 2012 7:58 PM
  • Sure enough, the ONE database out of 18, is set to mail2 and those are the users having an issue!

Now, how to set it properly...

Wednesday, May 02, 2012 8:01 PM
  • Set-MailboxDatabase DB01 -RpcClientAccessServer CAS01
    Wednesday, May 02, 2012 8:10 PM
  • That's the joy of powershell - its easy to jump from one command to another :0)

Set-MailboxDatabase -ID DB-to-change  -RPCClientAccessServer correct-name-to-use-here

Cheers, Rhoderick NOTICE: My posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Wednesday, May 02, 2012 8:11 PM
  • That's the joy of powershell - its easy to jump from one command to another :0)

Set-MailboxDatabase -ID DB-to-change  -RPCClientAccessServer correct-name-to-use-here

Cheers, Rhoderick NOTICE: My posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Powershell? I just use voice commands to manage my Exchange Servers!

Wednesday, May 02, 2012 8:18 PM
  • I like kicking it old school - what can I say?  :)

Wednesday, May 02, 2012 8:44 PM
  • Thanks, guys. Hopefully, that's it. Is there any way to have everyone fall over to mail2 if mail1 goes offline, or does the DAG tale care of that under normal circumstances?
    Wednesday, May 02, 2012 9:04 PM
  • What are the names of the CAS Servers? Mail2 and Mail2? Are the multi-role servers?

For true redundancy, you need to create a CAS Array with the Exchange tools, assign that CAS Array FQDN as the RpcClientAccessServer on all the databases and then use a load balancer that answers on that CAS Array FQDN and handles the client connections. That and the DAG provide the high availbility.

Note that since you apparently do not have a CAS Array now, if you create one, the Outlook profiles will need to be recreated or updated to reflect the new CAS Array value.

Also see:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2012/03/23/demystifying-the-cas-array-object-part-1.aspx

http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2012/03/28/demystifying-the-cas-array-object-part-2.aspx

http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2011/05/31/exchange-2010-high-availability-misconceptions-addressed.aspx

Wednesday, May 02, 2012 9:22 PM
  • Yup - that is totally true!

What you also need to get straight in your head is that CAS and MBX are made highly available in different ways.

CAS via  a load balancer and CASArray

MBX via DAG.

The common mistake that I see is that all the focus is placed on the DAG, and CAS is skipped.  But if users cannot get to the DAG, since CAS is down then............

Wednesday, May 02, 2012 9:31 PM
  • Awesome! Thank you so much, guys! I've bookmarked this page and hope to set up the CAS array in the next few weeks.
    Wednesday, May 02, 2012 9:41 PM