none
R2 Server Core Exchange Server 2010

Question

• Hello, first of all I know that is not supported but it only test lab, …just another crazy lab.

In my lab there are one DC running on Server 2008 R2 in Native 2008R2 mode, one Exchange Server 2010 RC running CAS/HUB/MBX.
    I try to add one more Exchange Server 2010 RC in my testlab but now on Windows Server 2008 R2 Server Core
    I prepare Server Core and install all prerequisites for installing Exchange Server 2010

Now wane I install I got error message

The following error was generated when "$error.Clear(); install-ContentIndexingService -HubOnlyFilterRegistration" was run: "Object reference not set to an instance of an object.".

Maybe I missed something on preparing stage?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Preparing Exchange Setup

Copying Setup Files              ......................... COMPLETED

The following server roles will be installed
        Languages
        Management Tools
        Hub Transport Role
        Client Access Role
        Mailbox Role

Performing Microsoft Exchange Server Prerequisite Check

Language Pack Checks             ......................... COMPLETED
        Hub Transport Role Checks        ......................... COMPLETED
        Client Access Role Checks        ......................... COMPLETED
        Mailbox Role Checks              ......................... COMPLETED

Configuring Microsoft Exchange Server

Preparing Setup                  ......................... COMPLETED
        Stopping Services                ......................... COMPLETED
        Copying Exchange Files           ......................... COMPLETED
        Language Files                   ......................... COMPLETED
        Restoring Services               ......................... COMPLETED
        Languages                        ......................... COMPLETED
        Exchange Management Tools        ......................... COMPLETED
        Hub Transport Server Role        ......................... FAILED
         The following error was generated when "$error.Clear(); install-ContentInde
    xingService -HubOnlyFilterRegistration" was run: "Object reference not set to an
     instance of an object.".

The Exchange Server setup operation did not complete. Visit http://support.micro
    soft.com and enter the Error ID to find more information.

Exchange Server setup encountered an error.

D:\>

Arman Obosyan, http://postmaster.ge/blog
    Saturday, September 12, 2009 7:28 AM

All replies

• Well, Exchange 2010 is not supported on Windows 2008 R2 Core AFAIK - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa996719(EXCHG.140).aspx
    Did you install Microsoft Filter Pack on Core?

Cheers

Konrad
    Saturday, September 12, 2009 11:40 AM

• Thanks for reply!
    Yes, a know that is not support :)

...but regarding this (from msexchangeteam)
    As you probably already know, Exchange 2007 is the first application that leverages and integrates with the Windows PowerShell. As you may also already know, much of Exchange 2007 is written in managed code that uses the .NET Framework. Neither Windows PowerShell, nor the .NET Framework can be installed on the Server Core version of Windows Server 2008. As a result, the Server Core version of Windows Server 2008 cannot be used to host Exchange 2007 SP1. Instead, you must use the Full Version installation option.

Problem was in that Server Core doe not support Net Framework and there no PowerShell, now in R2 Server Core there is NetFramework, PowerShell, IIS that host ASP.net ....

so now why is not supported? now what is problem for support Exchange Server 2010 in R2 Server Core?

Yep, I install Microsoft Filter Pack, and other prerequisite, Framework, PowerShell, IIS components,...

More that Mailbox role installed, and I can see it from my Exchange Management Console on second server, but not functional because failure of install with same error message The following error was generated when "$error.Clear(); install-ContentIndexingService -HubOnlyFilterRegistration" was run: "Object reference not set to an instance of an object.".

Arman Obosyan, http://postmaster.ge/blog
    Saturday, September 12, 2009 12:34 PM