none
Exchange 2010 and Outlook 2010 does not show distribution list members (Those who are hidden form the GAL)

Question

• Exchange 2010 and Outlook 2010 does not show distribution list members (Those who are hidden form the GAL)

1. Mail contacts are hidden from the GAL

2. When expanding the distribution group those hidden mail contacts do not show up

3. Those hidden mail contacts do show up in OWA

4. In our other Exchange 2010/Outlook 2010 environment hidden mail contacts show up when you expand the distribution group

I want hidden mail contacts to show up when a distribution group is expanded. Any suggestions or help would be awesome

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 5:09 PM

Answers

• I ran into the same issue and worked around it by unhiding all the Mail Contacts, while at the same time redefining the default global address list so it doesn't include Mail Contacts. This will cause a problem for you, however, if you have any Mail Contacts that you do want to see in the default global address list. In that case the best fix is to change those Contacts to Mail Users.

Peter

• Marked as answer by QuiGonLeong Wednesday, September 14, 2011 11:34 PM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 9:46 PM

All replies

• You could unhide them.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 5:13 PM
  • Yes but I don't want them in the GAL
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 5:48 PM
  • If they show up in a group's membership, then they're in the GAL!
    Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 7:06 PM
  • I ran into the same issue and worked around it by unhiding all the Mail Contacts, while at the same time redefining the default global address list so it doesn't include Mail Contacts. This will cause a problem for you, however, if you have any Mail Contacts that you do want to see in the default global address list. In that case the best fix is to change those Contacts to Mail Users.

Peter

• Marked as answer by QuiGonLeong Wednesday, September 14, 2011 11:34 PM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 9:46 PM
  • Funny thing is I just completed doing those exact steps and THEN saw your response. Great minds...

Thanks for your input Peter

• Edited by QuiGonLeong Wednesday, September 14, 2011 11:34 PM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 11:34 PM
  • Is there any other way of doing this?  All our distribution lists in the Adress book are based on the org chart.  I have over 100 differenet distribution lists that we've created along the way for whatever reason and have hidden them from the default Address book to not confuse users.  That being said, I would like users that have requested these "non-standard" DL's be able to expand(+) them when sending mail.   
    Friday, November 04, 2011 8:42 PM