none
How do you export a GAL to Access

Question

• HI All,

I work for a large financial organisation and many projects I have been involved in require us to manipulate/filter etc etc the employees and provide a means for easy lookup by our inhouse systems.

All our email systems use Microsoft Exchange and our client desktop software is Outlook 2003 (we are a Bank so we rarely deploy the latest version of any software). Our group's infrastructure is managed by our own internal teams including messaging, and given the workloads these guys have we simply cannot request extracts etc etc.

We have seen a solution at http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/database/access/export-exchange-global-address-list-to-access/ however the output it generates in the table is X400 format for the email address but what we need is SMTP format.

So we would greatly appreciate any tweak to this process to get SMTP output OR any alternative way of doing this.

Many thanks for your help

George

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 1:28 PM

Answers

• Being a bank doesn't preclude you from rolling out the latest and greatest. Many, large, small and regional are going headlong into new technology to help them save money (I.e. maximise profits!)
    Do you want this in real-time? If so then you are in the wrong newsgroup and need to ask about LDAP access in Active Directory. Actually, that's simply your answer; use your in-house system to get that information from your domain controllers.
    If you don't want this in real-time then the answer is to use CSVDE to get the data out into CSV format and then pull the result into Access. Go to www.computerperformance.co.uk and the guy there has got some good resources on the syntax you need.

If you want something else, just follow up here.

"george zubo" wrote in message news:deac8c07-5485-4111-9011-a17f485d5017...

HI All,

I work for a large financial organisation and many projects I have been involved in require us to manipulate/filter etc etc the employees and provide a means for easy lookup by our inhouse systems.

All our email systems use Microsoft Exchange and our client desktop software is Outlook 2003 (we are a Bank so we rarely deploy the latest version of any software). Our group's infrastructure is managed by our own internal teams including messaging, and given the workloads these guys have we simply cannot request extracts etc etc.

We have seen a solution at http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/database/access/export-exchange-global-address-list-to-access/ however the output it generates in the table is X400 format for the email address but what we need is SMTP format.

So we would greatly appreciate any tweak to this process to get SMTP output OR any alternative way of doing this.

George

Mark Arnold, Exchange MVP.
    Thursday, July 15, 2010 12:36 PM
  • Hi,

Please have a look at the article below:

How to export GAL (Global Address List)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555397

Regards,

Xiu

Friday, July 16, 2010 6:31 AM

All replies

• Being a bank doesn't preclude you from rolling out the latest and greatest. Many, large, small and regional are going headlong into new technology to help them save money (I.e. maximise profits!)
    Do you want this in real-time? If so then you are in the wrong newsgroup and need to ask about LDAP access in Active Directory. Actually, that's simply your answer; use your in-house system to get that information from your domain controllers.
    If you don't want this in real-time then the answer is to use CSVDE to get the data out into CSV format and then pull the result into Access. Go to www.computerperformance.co.uk and the guy there has got some good resources on the syntax you need.

If you want something else, just follow up here.

"george zubo" wrote in message news:deac8c07-5485-4111-9011-a17f485d5017...

HI All,

George

Mark Arnold, Exchange MVP.
    Thursday, July 15, 2010 12:36 PM
  • Hi,

Please have a look at the article below:

How to export GAL (Global Address List)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555397

Regards,

Xiu

Friday, July 16, 2010 6:31 AM