none
Exchange 2010 OWA All Attachments are Blocked

    Question

  • My Exchange 2010 implementation seems to be blocking all attachments.  I only have a single client access policy, and while there are some attachment types that are blocked in there, there are many that are allowed.  However, I'm not able to access any attachments in OWA.

    Has anyone seen this?

    Sunday, March 25, 2012 10:14 PM

Answers

  • Thanks Sukh.  That actually broke it further, however it led me to the fix.  I ran the following command on each CAS server:

    Set-OwaVirtualDirectory -identity "cassvr1\owa (Default Web Site)" -WebReadyDocumentViewingOnPrivateComputersEnabled $false -WebReadyDocumentViewingOnPublicComputersEnabled $true -DirectFileAccessOnPublicComputersEnabled $true -DirectFileAccessOnPrivateComputersEnabled

    Some of the settings were false, so this cleared it up.

    Thank you very much for your input.

    • Marked as answer by Dan112233 Monday, March 26, 2012 6:55 PM
    Monday, March 26, 2012 6:55 PM

All replies

  • What happens if you remove that policy and test?

    Have you tested another browser?

    Same results internal/external accessing OWA?


    Sukh

    Sunday, March 25, 2012 10:44 PM
  • If I remove the policy and test, then I can use the WebReady Viewer.  But I can't save the attachments.  Creating a new policy exhibits the same behavior.

    IE and Firefox disply the same symptoms.

    Same internal and external.

    What I want is for users to have the ability to use WebReady Viewer, but save if they choose to.

    Sunday, March 25, 2012 11:45 PM
  • Have yuo set this - Configure WebReady Document Viewing

    Sukh

    Monday, March 26, 2012 8:40 AM
  • Thanks Sukh.  That actually broke it further, however it led me to the fix.  I ran the following command on each CAS server:

    Set-OwaVirtualDirectory -identity "cassvr1\owa (Default Web Site)" -WebReadyDocumentViewingOnPrivateComputersEnabled $false -WebReadyDocumentViewingOnPublicComputersEnabled $true -DirectFileAccessOnPublicComputersEnabled $true -DirectFileAccessOnPrivateComputersEnabled

    Some of the settings were false, so this cleared it up.

    Thank you very much for your input.

    • Marked as answer by Dan112233 Monday, March 26, 2012 6:55 PM
    Monday, March 26, 2012 6:55 PM
  • No worries, that link I posted was to show you the settings that you were supposed to check for access.  That's all.

    Sukh

    Monday, March 26, 2012 7:02 PM