none
Room Mailboxes - Change Location of Meeting

Question

• What is the recommended method for moving a meeting to a new location?

Scenario - Meeting created in Meeting Room 1.  Administrator wants to forcibly move the meeting to Meeting Room 2 while at the same time informing the meeting attendees and have it update on their personal calendars.

When I open the Meeting Room 1 calendar, I have options to decline/propose new time, but no Rooms button or option to change the room location.

Seems like a simple requirement - hopefully someone can give me a quick solution....Thanks!

Friday, March 02, 2012 5:17 PM

Answers

• I believe the issue is that the meeting organizer cannot be changed. The person creating the meeting should be the one changing and sending out meeting updates from their own calendar (room, time, etc). If someone else needs to make a change, the original meeting should be cancelled and a new one should be sent out by the other user.
    Wednesday, March 07, 2012 3:39 PM
  • Hi Catmandu,

I have followed your description and got the same situation with you.

Agree with Brian's opinion. This setting can only be updated from organizer's calendar or it will cause some problem when many other people have full permission on these two room mailbox as well. They can update to what they like.

Thanks.

Rowen

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, March 08, 2012 6:14 AM

All replies

• Whart I would do is open the meeting, go to the Scheduling Assistant, add the new room and remove the old room.  Then hit send.  This should update all copies of the meeting and remove it from the other room.

JAUCG

Friday, March 02, 2012 7:38 PM
  • Hi,

Please try to open the meeting from your own calendar.

It should show you a location bar that you can update there.

Hope I am not misunderstanding you.

Thanks.

Rowen

Monday, March 05, 2012 5:10 AM
  • Thanks for the responses.  After a little more investigation, I find that for some user's meeting requests I get a room button and can therefore change the location.  For other users I don't get such a button.

I tested a little more and noticed that if the user creates the meeting request in his calendar, I don't get the room button.  If he creates it directly in the meeting room calendar then I do get the location button.

Any solution for this?  I need users to create the meeting requests in their own calendars (as they use the room finder options to find a free room).

Monday, March 05, 2012 12:07 PM
  • For my test environment which is Outlook 2007 and Exchange 2010, if I create a new meeting request in the user's calendar I can click on Scheduling Assistant and in the bottom left of the screen is a button that says 'Add Rooms'.  Once I click on that button I can add any rooms defined in Exchange. Do you see this button?  If not, what version of Outlook are you using? 

I tried the same thing in Outlook 2010 and I still see a room button in the lower left after click on Scheduling Assistant.  Do your users see this?

JAUCG

Monday, March 05, 2012 12:22 PM
  • Hi,

Right, normally you should find this button directly.

If you don't see it please verify that whether only one user got this problem.

It may be related to some personal setting.

You can recreate a new profile for this user firstly.

Thanks.

Rowen

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 1:10 AM
  • Thanks for replies.

After a bit of testing with my own account, it seems that if I create the meeting request from my calendar, then I only see the Rooms button if I open it from my calendar (not the meeting room calendar).  If I create the meeting request from the Meeting Room, I can only see the Room button if I open it from the Meeting Room (not my own calendar).

Generally users create the meeting request in their own calendar, which means that when the admin goes to change the meeting location from the meeting room calendar, there is no Room button and therefore cannot change the location.

Any ideas?

(this is not related to profiles and seems to be the case with all users).
    • Edited by catmandu Wednesday, March 07, 2012 3:33 PM
    Wednesday, March 07, 2012 3:32 PM
  • I believe the issue is that the meeting organizer cannot be changed. The person creating the meeting should be the one changing and sending out meeting updates from their own calendar (room, time, etc). If someone else needs to make a change, the original meeting should be cancelled and a new one should be sent out by the other user.
    Wednesday, March 07, 2012 3:39 PM
  • Hi Catmandu,

I have followed your description and got the same situation with you.

Agree with Brian's opinion. This setting can only be updated from organizer's calendar or it will cause some problem when many other people have full permission on these two room mailbox as well. They can update to what they like.

Thanks.

Rowen

Thursday, March 08, 2012 6:14 AM
  • Thanks again for the replies, and particularly for testing my situation.

Really disappointed if this functionality is not available - it seems a necessary requirement for most companies to have someone who can override bookings.  I'll leave this question open a little longer to see if anyone else can provide a recommendation.

Thanks again.

Thursday, March 08, 2012 11:05 AM