none
Migrate/upgrade/transition from Exchange 2003 to 2010 or 2013

Question

• We have an existing Exchange 2003 environment and are looking to upgrade our Exchange to 2010 or 2013. What I'm reading out there right now is that in Exchange 2010 there are 5 server roles mailbox, cas, unified messaging, hub and edge and to have a good HA/DR solution would require 2 servers with the CAS/HT roles on it and 2 servers with the mailbox role for (DAG) and another server or 2 with the edge transport role on it. We currently do not do any webmail/smart phone access but that will change with this upgrade. Due to budget constraints they really would like to only purchase 3 servers at this time 1 for CAS/HT 1 for Mailbox and 1 for Edge. I really would like to be able to do HA/DR with this solution can I install all 3 roles on 2 servers and have 1 edge server? So Server A would have CAS/HUB/Mailbox roles on it Server B would have CAS/HUB/Mailbox roles on it and I would since DAG members utilize Windows Failover Clustering, which can’t co-exist with NLB I would have to have some type of HLB like Netscaler/Barracuda etc. Does anyone have a heck no dont do this moment or is this ok? Would you wait to go to Exchange 2013 or do 2010 first and then migrate to 2013? Personally I would like to go to 2013 right away but am open to any suggestions.

From what I understand in exchange 2013 there are only 2 server roles the mailbox and the cas what happened to the Edge? I see on technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj150569.aspx I can use a 2010 Edge in my perimeter. I've only got roughly 60 users and a couple of public folders/calendars so if I would be better off just moving to 2013 I'm open to that as well.

If I do the 2010 version first and then wait till SP1 for 2013 and decide to upgrade do I need to install 2 new servers with 2013 and then migrate the mailboxes over and then decommission the 2010 servers or can I upgrade the 2010 to 2013 my initial thoughts are no to that upgrade.

Thanks

Friday, February 22, 2013 4:53 PM

All replies

• Hi

Your design idea for 2010 is on the right track and you cannot go directly to 2013, so if that is your ultimate goal you could install a single 2010 server, migrate everyone off 2003 and then install your 2013 servers as above.

CU1 for 2013 will be released soon so that shouldn't be a problem.

If you have any other mail filtering solution available then I would consider not installing the Edge role - the extra complexity for a 60 user organisation isn't worth the trouble.

Cheers, Steve

Friday, February 22, 2013 5:15 PM
  • Right now we currently use a barracuda for spam/virus filtering so basically the Edge is just duplicating the functionality of the barracuda? So to make sure that I'm following you correctly install 1 2010 Exchange Server with all the roles (CAS/HUB/MBX) then migrate from 2003. Then install a new 2013 server with the CAS/MBX role and migrate to that 2013 from 2010. Once that is all done I can start working on the dr/failover portion.

So in the end it would look like this install 1 2010 Exchange (CAS/HUB/MBX), migrate users off of 2003. Then install 1 2013 exchange with (CAS/MBX) migrate users off 2010. Then to get the dr/failover piece install 2nd 2013 Exchange with (CAS/HUB) and setup DAG then setup netscaler for CAS.

In this scenario I would only have the need for 2 2012 Windows Server Licenses, 2 Exchange 2013 Server Licenses plus my CALS and have full Exchange redundancy?

What about getting the Enterprise cals for Exchange 2013 is it worth it? From what I've been made aware of when you get the enterprise cals with SA you also get the FOPE for 3 years. Has anyone used this and is it worth it?

Thanks

Friday, February 22, 2013 9:54 PM
  • If you are using the Barracuda for mail filtering then you don't need an edge.  The one step missing (maybe you thought about it already but didn't type it above) is that you need to cleanly uninstall the 2003 server before 2013 can be installed.

Yes you only need standard licenses for Windows 2012 and Exchange 2013 and you only need enterprise CALs if you plan on using the features they support like Archiving and personal retention tags.  You can get enterprise CALs just for certain users if you need to.

You would need to speak with a licensing vendor or the Microsoft licensing team about specifics or deals.

Cheers, Steve

Saturday, February 23, 2013 3:54 PM
  • Thanks for pointing out that missing step!! I guess I just missed that part. So from the way it looks right now I can get my full redundant setup with just 2 servers and my netscaler. Sounds like a win to me for a smaller environment. Thanks for all the help its much appreciated!!!

Monday, February 25, 2013 8:43 PM
  • Hi to all,

I also need to transition from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2010 and to the end, to Exchange 2013.

For a testing purposes, I have virtualized my production environment, before I go live.

In my virtualizes environment, I made successful transition from 2003 to 2010. I transfer all the mail boxes and public folder and everything has worked fine.

After that, I have try to uninstall the Exchange 2003 and there is a problem. It won’t to uninstall, as should be. I looked to the forums several solutions and I have tried everything, but nothing helped. On the end, I removed the Exchange 2003 forcefully from ADSIEDIT.

And again, everything looked fine, until I try to prepare schema for Exchange 2013. Now he finds remaining’s of Exchange 2003 and it won’t continue with installation.

Does anyone have idea, what to do?

Regards,

Aleksandar

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 9:49 PM
  • It would be better to start a separate discussion - people might not notice your question at the end of an existing discussion that may soon be marked as resolved.

How exactly did you remove E2K3 using ASIEdit? What elements did you delete?

Otherwise, at this point, you'll probably have to find the remaining references to Exchange 2003 in Active Directory and remove them manually.

Fortunately, this is a virtualized test environment. I don't believe removing Exchange like that is supported by MS, so if you do that for the real environment, you could have problems, real problems.

I sounds like you tried to remove E2K3 correctly but that didn't work.

In your real environement, if that happens, I would really insist on removing it the way you should, coming back here if necessary to ask more questions.

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 1:45 AM
  • Ok, I open new discussion on this link:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchangesvrgeneral/thread/3339a388-d571-4969-8c37-e55ff73012da

If anyone can help, please join.

Aleksandar

Thursday, March 14, 2013 1:44 PM