none
A certificate with the thumbprint...already exists.

Question

• There was a typo in my certificate and I have corrected it. I created a new certificate, submitted it to RapidSSL and received the response file which I saved. I am now trying to complete the pending request but I get the following error;

Cannot import certificate. A certificate with the thumbprint 9F0535C475387C8AC95FA306DF8229F57DA09C3C already exists.

How can I resolve this issue?

Saturday, December 01, 2012 10:01 PM

Answers

• I would suggest you recreate new certificate request in exchange 2010 console by recreating new ignoring the old and get rekeying with the new thumbprint from rapid ssl. 

While recreating it will automatically pull all the fqdn you were using during mailserver migration. Remove all those one from activesync, outlook anywhere, activesync and ensure you have proper fqdn and additional name in place.

Rekey the certificate thumbprint with rapid ssl and obtain new public certificate, import the certificate and publish it again. While importing you will be asked to overwrite the existing certificate, select the required from list and submit. Then the certificate issue would be solved. 

For the outlook client may be cache would be the problem, you may need to reconfigure new outlook profile to stop the old cache address.

All the best

Regards, Ganesh, MCTS, MCP, ITILV2 This posting is provided with no warranties and confers no rights. Please remember to click Mark as Answer and Vote as Helpful on posts that help you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by johnny77 Saturday, December 15, 2012 1:29 PM
    Sunday, December 02, 2012 7:10 PM

All replies

• Try to locate the certificate in the personal store which is having the same thumbprint and delete that from there and it should suffice.

Om

(MCITP,Enterprise Messaging Administrator)

**My posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind**

Saturday, December 01, 2012 11:10 PM
  • Sounds like this is the same certificate if you have the exact same thumbprint.

stefan@xperta

Saturday, December 01, 2012 11:17 PM
  • Hi

You can use the Certificates  MMC snap-in to remove the first certificate from the server and then complete the request.

Cheers, Steve

Sunday, December 02, 2012 9:08 AM
  • I deleted the certificate, still couldn't complete the pending request so I deleted that one and started fresh. All seems to be good now except one thing.

This is the whole reason why I'm regenerating the certificate, one of my other sites mail servers keeps showing up in the list so in addition to this certificate mail.client2.ca, another certificate of mail.client1.ca is showing up in the list also. I don't remember entering that information on this migration but I guess I must have.

Anyway, how do I get rid of that mail.client1.ca address? It does show up when Outlook is first opened I noticed on some machines

Sunday, December 02, 2012 1:56 PM
  • I would suggest you recreate new certificate request in exchange 2010 console by recreating new ignoring the old and get rekeying with the new thumbprint from rapid ssl. 

While recreating it will automatically pull all the fqdn you were using during mailserver migration. Remove all those one from activesync, outlook anywhere, activesync and ensure you have proper fqdn and additional name in place.

Rekey the certificate thumbprint with rapid ssl and obtain new public certificate, import the certificate and publish it again. While importing you will be asked to overwrite the existing certificate, select the required from list and submit. Then the certificate issue would be solved. 

For the outlook client may be cache would be the problem, you may need to reconfigure new outlook profile to stop the old cache address.

All the best

Regards, Ganesh, MCTS, MCP, ITILV2 This posting is provided with no warranties and confers no rights. Please remember to click Mark as Answer and Vote as Helpful on posts that help you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by johnny77 Saturday, December 15, 2012 1:29 PM
    Sunday, December 02, 2012 7:10 PM