none
Migrate from Zimbra to Exchange 2010

Question

• I have Zimbra 6.0 and want to move to Exchange 2010 any way to move users and mailboxes.  Zimbra makes it real easy to do other way around has any one found a solution to do it this way.
    Tuesday, June 08, 2010 5:31 PM

Answers

• Currently, there are no tools to make a direct migration from Zimbra to Exchange 2010 Server, but you can use the following options:

1.      You can use the Microsoft Transporter Suite to migrate mailboxes from Zimbra to Exchange 2007 at first, and then make the final transition to Exchange 2010 since Transporter Suite that is only supported in Exchange 2007 and the previous version

2.      Configure outlook for all Zimbra users, export data into PST file, and then you can use “Import-Mailbox” cmdlet to import all PST files back to newly created users’ mailboxes on the exchange 2010 server

Notes: Either way, please play the method in a lab environment to familiar with it

Resources:

Migrating from POP/IMAP to Exchange Server 2007 using Microsoft Transport Suite

Microsoft Transporter Suite for Lotus Domino demo (The video that I have found is not on migration from POP3/IMAP4 email servers but from Lotus Domino. However it will give you an idea how you can use this tool to migrate the mailboxes from POP3/IMAP 4 email system)

James Luo
    TechNet Subscriber Support (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/ms788697.aspx)
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
    Friday, June 11, 2010 3:38 AM

All replies

• I realize that this is off topic, but can you say why you are going away from zimbra?
    Tuesday, June 08, 2010 6:14 PM
  • Currently, there are no tools to make a direct migration from Zimbra to Exchange 2010 Server, but you can use the following options:

1.      You can use the Microsoft Transporter Suite to migrate mailboxes from Zimbra to Exchange 2007 at first, and then make the final transition to Exchange 2010 since Transporter Suite that is only supported in Exchange 2007 and the previous version

2.      Configure outlook for all Zimbra users, export data into PST file, and then you can use “Import-Mailbox” cmdlet to import all PST files back to newly created users’ mailboxes on the exchange 2010 server

Notes: Either way, please play the method in a lab environment to familiar with it

Resources:

Migrating from POP/IMAP to Exchange Server 2007 using Microsoft Transport Suite

Microsoft Transporter Suite for Lotus Domino demo (The video that I have found is not on migration from POP3/IMAP4 email servers but from Lotus Domino. However it will give you an idea how you can use this tool to migrate the mailboxes from POP3/IMAP 4 email system)

James Luo
    TechNet Subscriber Support (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/ms788697.aspx)
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
    Friday, June 11, 2010 3:38 AM
  • Boss said that is what I was going to do so here I go.
    Friday, June 11, 2010 3:31 PM
  • Hi dnrp3,

Have you completed this migration and setup?  We're getting ready to something very similar and I'm very interested to hear how things went for you.  Hope it all went well.

Thanks,

- Adam

Monday, November 15, 2010 9:00 PM
  • Heh I'm planning on doing this as well.  Zimbra had a lot of promise, however since VMWare took them over their commitment to open-source just went down the crapper.  Also if you touch anything to do with SSL certificates in Zimbra, you'll blow up your installation with little or no hope of ever getting it working again.    I am currently running the open-source version of Zimbra and have found the support lacking.  Seriously hoping that exchange will provide a little better platform that will require little or no support.  If the product is anything like Zimbra -- I swear I will go back to qmail+dovecot+squirrelmail which is rock-solid.

Gruic

Thursday, March 10, 2011 6:32 AM
  • I am looking to migrate from Zimbra to Exchange 2010, but I have users that have very large mailboxes, and I do not want to have .pst's in the switch over.  Any advice or suggestions?
    Thursday, May 05, 2011 8:33 PM
  • Would also like to know how it went with the migration job. I´m about to do the same job soon. My solution i think is to use a sort of IMAP copy/sync tool to get the mail over. And the copy the contacs+calendar over to the new account.
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 12:22 PM
  • Is there a way to Migrate to 2010 without having to go to 2007 first?
    Monday, May 16, 2011 1:12 PM
  • PLz i have the same issue can i Migrate to 2010 without having to go to 2007 first?
    Tuesday, June 26, 2012 6:25 AM
  • Hi

I ended ut with using a 3-party tool for the migration job, MigrationWiz.

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 7:20 AM
  • do you have documentation for it ..
    Wednesday, July 11, 2012 10:30 AM
  • Hi

Think you will find all the documentation you need on their site. And they are very fast in answering the questions i had to them.

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 10:38 AM
  • thanks you very much i will make process and give feedback, 
    Wednesday, July 11, 2012 11:30 AM
  • Zimbra to exchange migration always remain challenging but here is something which let you easily convert zimbra emails, contacts, calendars, notes, tasks etc. for multiple users mailboxes. Find zimbra converter from here: http://download.cnet.com/SoftSpire-Zimbra-Converter/3000-2369_4-75914192.html

• Edited by Sandyy247 Friday, June 14, 2013 5:00 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Thomas Bakers Friday, November 22, 2013 7:01 PM
    Friday, May 17, 2013 7:44 PM