none
Can't open Outlook 2013 - The connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action.

Question

• I am running newly installed Office 2013 on Windows 8 Pro on the Surface Pro.  I have several IMAP emails and one Exchange email.  When I first started Outlook 2013, I began adding my IMAP emails and everything was working fine.  Then I went to Mail in Control Panel to add the Exchange account and I got the infamous "The connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action."  Furthermore when I tried to open Outlook 2013 again, it gave me the "Cannot start Outlook. Cannot open outlook window. The set of folders cannot be opened." message.

I tried outlook.exe /resetnavpane and that did not solve the problem.

I then deleted my profile and started over from scratch.  Every time I try to add my Exchange account, I get the same set of errors whether I start with the Exchange account or try adding it after I have created a profile with my IMAP emails.  Of note, I can still run Outlook just fine with my IMAP emails, but I cannot get my Exchange account to work.  I have tried every solution I can find on the internet to no avail.

I have tried creating new profiles and starting over about 20 times now and nothing works.  I have tried every combination of checking/unchecking the "Cached Exchange mode", "Encrypt data between Microsoft Outlook and Microsoft Exchange", and even "Connect to Microsoft Exchange using HTTP."  I even checked the registry for a missing AppData registry key in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders per one of the Microsoft Support solutions.  Guess what, the AppData key was there.

One more thing (and I certainly hope this is not the root of the problem), I elected to not sign up for a Microsoft email or a 365 account.  I have a stand-alone version of Office 2013 and I'd like to keep it that way.

Commentary: I love the new Surface Pro, but it really shouldn't be this difficult to access my Microsoft Exchange account through Microsoft Outlook in Microsoft Windows 8 on a Microsoft Surface Pro.  My Gmail works just fine in Outlook...just sayin'.

• Edited by nilking23 Friday, February 22, 2013 10:05 PM
    Friday, February 22, 2013 9:49 PM

Answers

• Hi
    If you have installed Office 2013 on your Windows 8 computer or Surface Pro tablet, try the tips for using Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync to set up Outlook 2013. install certificate

* Within Outlook 2013, click on the File tab > Add Account > Manual setup or additional server types > Next.
    * Select “Outlook.com or Exchange ActiveSync compatible service.” in the new Choose Service screen. >  Next.
    * Type in the information, such as user name, logon information and
    E-mail Address uses the full email address,
    Server address: activesync address

You also need to test exchange activesync on other mobile phone.
    Maybe you can post it to surface support forum
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/surfwinrt

Terence Yu

TechNet Community Support

Monday, February 25, 2013 6:27 AM

All replies

• Hi
    If you have installed Office 2013 on your Windows 8 computer or Surface Pro tablet, try the tips for using Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync to set up Outlook 2013. install certificate

* Within Outlook 2013, click on the File tab > Add Account > Manual setup or additional server types > Next.
    * Select “Outlook.com or Exchange ActiveSync compatible service.” in the new Choose Service screen. >  Next.
    * Type in the information, such as user name, logon information and
    E-mail Address uses the full email address,
    Server address: activesync address

You also need to test exchange activesync on other mobile phone.
    Maybe you can post it to surface support forum
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/surfwinrt

Terence Yu

TechNet Community Support

Monday, February 25, 2013 6:27 AM
  • I have the exact same problem with my new Surface Pro.

My Windows 8 Mail app connects fine to my Exchange server but not Outlook. 

I have tried the proposed solution beow without success.

Saturday, March 09, 2013 1:10 PM
  • I have the same exact issue.  At least 10 calls to Microsoft and still no fix.  What a disappointment.  As mentioned earlier, Windows Mail works fine.  This seems to be a common issue.  Anyone come up with a fix yet?
    Thursday, March 14, 2013 3:17 AM
  • Nice to see that microsoft again does its job and releases only software that is not as bad as an older version...

Exchange 2013 is overall disappoiting! Microsoft should take back the release, as well as Server2012...

Friday, March 15, 2013 8:14 AM
  • This is an unhelpful response, Terence. The error reported is "Can't open Outlook" and you responded with steps that require Outlook to be running.
    Tuesday, April 02, 2013 3:26 PM
  • I have the exact same issue...have tried all fixes suggested on this site and others.  My corporate Help Desk has researched it and hasn't found a fix.  I have a brand new Windows 8 computer and Office Pro Plus 2013 but can't use it until I get this fixed.  How is it possible that Microsoft could screw this up so bad when it always worked fine in XP and Windows 7??
    Tuesday, April 02, 2013 5:37 PM
  • Hi,

I have the exact same problem with my new Surface Pro 128.

Anyone come up with a fix yet?

best

Sharepoint and CRM Student

Tuesday, April 09, 2013 11:43 PM
  • I just bought a new laptop with 2013 and am having the same issues.  Hopefully they will fix this very soon!!
    Saturday, May 04, 2013 2:10 AM
  • I have the exact same issue with my laptop.  I cannot open Outlook 2013 so how can I open File with Outlook 2013? 
    Thursday, July 25, 2013 11:09 AM
  • I was having this same problem and ran across this solution

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2010-outlook/the-connection-to-microsoft-exchange-is/ef8052b9-82f1-413c-a7d8-5096f90275f6?msgId=7c53ba91-64e4-4c17-86ab-7813c6d8f05d

Essentially, you delete your profile from the Mail section in the Control Panel

Throwing it out here in case someone else runs across this thread.

Friday, October 18, 2013 10:39 AM