none
how to move mailbox back to 2003 from 2010

Question

• We are currently in the process of migrating from 2003 to 2010. In the attempt to move one of the mailbox's an error happened. The error said that it could not cleanup the old mailbox after the move. So, now there is a stub mailbox still sitting in the old exchange server. I installed hotfix http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940012 and need to move the mailbox back to exchange 2003. I can not find any steps to do this. Can someone help?
    Saturday, February 27, 2010 4:26 PM

Answers

• This is quite common with moves from 2003 to 2010, but there should be no need to move the mailbox back to 2003. As long as the user is able to log into 2010 and get new mail there then the move should be considered successful. :) The stub should be purged once the mailbox cleanup age (Default of 30 days) has expired and the next maintenance cycle is run after that.

But.... if for some reason you ever need to truly move a mailbox back to 2003 you can type the 2003 (or 2007) server's name in the search field of the database picklist window and it should return all the 2003 DBs.

-b
    Brian Day, Overall Exchange & AD Geek
    MCSA 2000/2003, CCNA
    MCTS: Microsoft Enterprise Server 2010, Configuration
    MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator 2010
    LMNOP
    Saturday, February 27, 2010 4:34 PM
  • Hi,

when you tried moving the mailbox to 2010 server, the move completed (just it gave a warning that it couldnt cleanup the legacy mailbox)

so, ater that did you try to login to the mailbox through OWA or Outlook (OL)

it sounds to me like after you got the warning you tried to move the mailbox back to 2003 server
    then it seems some how you deleted the mailbox which is moved to the new 2010 server

so, you were able to create a new mailbox for the user (on AD users and computers console) using the Exchange Tasks. because if a user account already have a mailbox associated we cant create new mailbox.
    so it started receiving new mails on the new mailbox

Now... if my above understand is true

we should have the (Old ) mailbox in 2010 server.. under "Disconnected Mailbox" if you dont see that run "Clean-MailboxDatabase" (you may run it couple of times too)
    then go to "Disconnected Mailbox" (referesh it) check for the deleted mailbox

if we found the mailbox....
    take the pst of the current mailbox (the new mailbox) delete it.
    then reconnect the old mailbox from the "Disconnected Mailbox"

hope it will work

Ref: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124076.aspx

Hari
    Saturday, February 27, 2010 7:15 PM
  • Guys, I got it..

I was able to use the cmdlet to reconnect the mailbox.

Thanks guys for your help.. I really appreciate it..
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 1:47 AM

All replies

• This is quite common with moves from 2003 to 2010, but there should be no need to move the mailbox back to 2003. As long as the user is able to log into 2010 and get new mail there then the move should be considered successful. :) The stub should be purged once the mailbox cleanup age (Default of 30 days) has expired and the next maintenance cycle is run after that.

But.... if for some reason you ever need to truly move a mailbox back to 2003 you can type the 2003 (or 2007) server's name in the search field of the database picklist window and it should return all the 2003 DBs.

-b
    MCSA 2000/2003, CCNA
    MCTS: Microsoft Enterprise Server 2010, Configuration
    LMNOP
    Saturday, February 27, 2010 4:34 PM
  • Thanks for the reply Brian,

On the 2010 server, the users mailbox account says that it is still located on the 2003 server. Thinking that the mailbox was just a stub i manually tried to delete the mailbox. So, from the DC i tried using the Exchange Task to move the mailbox. Now the user has 2 mailbox's. One is a stub and the other looks like it has a small amount of items associated with it.

Where do i type the 2003 servers name? On the 2010 server, the DC or the 2003?

Saturday, February 27, 2010 4:52 PM
  • How long after the move did it still say a Legacy Mailbox in EMC? You may just be looking at a replication or cached information delay. As long as the user is able to log into 2010 it should eventually update.

Once you move a mailbox to 2010, don't ever use the 2003 Exchange tools on it or you risk putting it into a corrupt state (fixable, but still annoyince). Only use the 2010 tools on 2010 mailboxes.

If you use LDP or ADSIEdit to look at the user's exchange home server or homemdb, what server is it pointing to?

You would type the 2003 servername into the 2010 tools when it asks what DB you want to move the mailbox to.
    MCSA 2000/2003, CCNA
    Saturday, February 27, 2010 5:16 PM
  • The account changed from legacy to a user mailbox as soon as we recieved the error about not being able to delete the legacy account.

ADSIedit says that the users mailbox is on the old server. It is recieving emails in that mailbox, but is not showing all of the users emails, etc. I believe that this is the second mailbox though. In 2010 on the mailbox properties it also says that DB is teh old server.

Where in 2010 do i type the 2003 servername? I do not see a place to type this.
    Saturday, February 27, 2010 5:46 PM
  • Ok I'm a little confused so let me ask another question. :)

When you tried to move the user back to 2003, did you use the Exchange Tools for 2003, or the New Local Move Request in the Exchange 2010 tools?

MCSA 2000/2003, CCNA
    Saturday, February 27, 2010 5:57 PM
  • So far i have been unable to even try to move the mailbox back.

Here is what i did after i moved the mailbox from Exchange 2003 to 2010 using the local move tool in 2010.

Move completed with warning, error was could not cleanup legacy account.
    So, i attempted to delete the mailbox from the old exchange server, it was only a Stub mailbox.
    No emails would show in the mailbox, so i went to the DC and on the user account went to Exchange Tasks and seleted to Create Mailbox. This is where the second mailbox for the user showed up and is showing emails for that mailbox only. Not the original mailbox. So, is there anyway to recover the items from the original moved mailbox and try thr move again? Or to view the existing 2010 DB to see the mailboxs associated with it. There should only be 2 accounts including the one we are having the issue with.
    Saturday, February 27, 2010 6:08 PM
  • Hi Cook,

"So, i attempted to delete the mailbox from the old exchange server, it was only a Stub mailbox.
    No emails would show in the mailbox, so i went to the DC and on the user account went to Exchange Tasks and seleted to Create Mailbox."

Wrong Move!!!

What you can do is, check for the disconnected mailbox. If the disconnected mailbox is present, you need to reconnect to a "Dummy" account and then export the mailbox items to the .pst files and import from the .pst files to the new mailbox.

Saturday, February 27, 2010 6:24 PM
  • Well isn't that lovely.. Ok, so in exchange 2010 there are no Disconnected mailboxs. What i don't undestand is why the mailbox move said it was moved successfuly and is still showing the mailbox as a User Mailbox and not a legacy account.

What about trying to create a new user mailbox with the same username? Would exchange recognize that it already exists in the DB and ask to merge it?
    Saturday, February 27, 2010 6:35 PM
  • Well isn't that lovely.. Ok, so in exchange 2010 there are no Disconnected mailboxs. What i don't undestand is why the mailbox move said it was moved successfuly and is still showing the mailbox as a User Mailbox and not a legacy account.
    Ok slow down, did you do something else? One step at a time here please. :) What mailbox move said it was successful?  For anything you do going forward remember that any mailbox moves both to or from 2010 should be performed with the 2010 tools and not 2003 or 2007 tools. No exceptions.

Are you saying disconnected mailboxes do not exist in 2010 (they do) or you just cannot see one at this moment?

Is this the right order of events? Please correct them if they are not.

1. You had a 2003 user.

2. You moved the user from 2003 to 2010 using the 2010 tools, but it failed to cleanup the source mailbox and left it as a stub. Could the user log into 2010 at this point?

3. You tried to delete the stub and couldn't.

4. You used the 2003 tools to create a new mailbox for the user on 2003 again. This created a wierd 2nd mailbox scenario.

5. New mail is now being delivered to 2003 for the user and all old mail is gone (because it is on 2010 somewhere)

6. You can't find the disconnected mailbox on 2010 at the moment.

I have to go out for a while, but I'll be back later.
    MCSA 2000/2003, CCNA
    Saturday, February 27, 2010 6:45 PM
  • At this time we have moved 2 mailbox's to the 2010 server. 1 mailbox completed successful and the other completed with a warning.
    The user was able to login to the 2010 mailbox. Everything that i have done so far has been with the 2010 tools.

Your order of events is correct.

Saturday, February 27, 2010 7:00 PM
    Ok slow down, did you do something else? One step at a time here please. :) What mailbox move said it was successful?  For anything you do going forward remember that any mailbox moves both to or from 2010 should be performed with the 2010 tools and not 2003 or 2007 tools. No exceptions.

Are you saying disconnected mailboxes do not exist in 2010 (they do) or you just cannot see one at this moment?

Is this the right order of events? Please correct them if they are not.

1. You had a 2003 user.

2. You moved the user from 2003 to 2010 using the 2010 tools, but it failed to cleanup the source mailbox and left it as a stub. Could the user log into 2010 at this point?

3. You tried to delete the stub and couldn't.

4. You used the 2003 tools to create a new mailbox for the user on 2003 again. This created a wierd 2nd mailbox scenario.

5. New mail is now being delivered to 2003 for the user and all old mail is gone (because it is on 2010 somewhere)

6. You can't find the disconnected mailbox on 2010 at the moment.

I have to go out for a while, but I'll be back later.
    MCSA 2000/2003, CCNA

Except for Step 4. I used the tools associated with the Domain Controller (Exchange Tasks) On the account there were no exchange tabs associated with the user account in active directory.
    Saturday, February 27, 2010 7:03 PM
  • Hi,

when you tried moving the mailbox to 2010 server, the move completed (just it gave a warning that it couldnt cleanup the legacy mailbox)

so, ater that did you try to login to the mailbox through OWA or Outlook (OL)

it sounds to me like after you got the warning you tried to move the mailbox back to 2003 server
    then it seems some how you deleted the mailbox which is moved to the new 2010 server

so, you were able to create a new mailbox for the user (on AD users and computers console) using the Exchange Tasks. because if a user account already have a mailbox associated we cant create new mailbox.
    so it started receiving new mails on the new mailbox

Now... if my above understand is true

we should have the (Old ) mailbox in 2010 server.. under "Disconnected Mailbox" if you dont see that run "Clean-MailboxDatabase" (you may run it couple of times too)
    then go to "Disconnected Mailbox" (referesh it) check for the deleted mailbox

if we found the mailbox....
    take the pst of the current mailbox (the new mailbox) delete it.
    then reconnect the old mailbox from the "Disconnected Mailbox"

hope it will work

Ref: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124076.aspx

Hari
    Saturday, February 27, 2010 7:15 PM
  • Yes i was able to login to the mailbox through OWA and Outlook 2007. All i did was purge the legacy account from Exchange 2003. This was hours after i moved the mailbox.

There was no attempt to move the mailbox back to 2003. I went to the domain controller and noticed on the User Account that all of the Exchange Tabs were missing from the account. So, thought i would be able to associate the account with the existing 2010 mailbox. I was wrong, when selecting the mail server 2 showed if i selected the 2010, nothing would show for the Mailbox store. If i selected the 2003 server the 2003 mailbox store would show.
    Saturday, February 27, 2010 7:36 PM
  • So i ran "Clean-MailboxDatabase" and the mailbox is now showing in the disconnected mailbox section. Now, when i try to connect the mailbox the user account is not showing. Actually only a few accounts are showing, like 6 out of 45.

So we are alittle closer to solving this..
    Saturday, February 27, 2010 8:06 PM
  • Now, in the legacy mailserver there is no mailbox for this user.

On the 2010 exchange server, i have the users mailbox in the disconnected section. I am unable to find the user account to connect the mailbox.
    Saturday, February 27, 2010 8:42 PM
  • I appreciate everyone helping with this issue.

I am still having issues with connecting the disconnected mailbox to the users account.

When i choose Connect, i select User Mailbox from the options and then I try to find the account either by using Matching User or Existing User. When i click browse for Matching User and put the username in to search for nothing appears. When i use Existing User only a 10 accounts appear and when i search for the user, it does not find the account. Now from what i can see is the accounts that do show are accounts without mailbox's.

When i open the Active Dir User and Comp. on the server hosting Exchange 2010 the account is there.

How do i get Exchange 2010 see the User Account in Active Directory?

One thing i was thinking of was to create a new user account without a mailbox then try to connect the user mailbox to that account. Setup Outlook for the new user, then export the account to a .pst.

Create a new mailbox for the User with the issue on the 2003 exchange server setup outlook and then import the .pst file.

Then try to move the mailbox again..

Only issue is that i am not sure if Exchange will see the account to move the mailbox.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.. 
    • Proposed as answer by v-9hasiv Sunday, February 28, 2010 2:00 AM
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 1:09 AM
  • Guys, I got it..

I was able to use the cmdlet to reconnect the mailbox.

Thanks guys for your help.. I really appreciate it..
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 1:47 AM