none
Exchange 2007 CCR Backup failing

Question

• i have a Exchange 7 CCR enviornment, for the past few day symantec backup was failing, which led to log drive getting full and the DBs was subsequently dismounted.

we had to manually delete the older log files from the server.

my application logs are getting filled with the following events  event id 440 and source ESE.

Microsoft.Exchange.Cluster.ReplayService (4392) Log Verifier E03 29984903: The log file L:\Exchange Logs\SHJ Standard users\inspector\E03003998E7.log is damaged, invalid, or inaccessible (error -501) and cannot be used. If this log file is required for recovery, a good copy of the log file will be needed for recovery to complete successfully.

we have also tried running the NTbackup and get the following error

he 'Microsoft Information Store' returned '50d' from a call to 'HrESEBackupSetup()' additional data '-'The 'Microsoft Information Store' returned 'Functions called in an invalid sequence.

' from a call to 'HrESEBackupClose()' additional data '-'
    The operation was ended.

any help will be appreciated.

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 2:00 PM

All replies

• The error represents a log file corruption.

E03003998E7.log appears to be corrupt.

IF you have a good copy of the above log replace it where you are taking the backup else you need to take the backup with other alternate means and restore replication.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/scottschnoll/archive/2006/10/06/exchange-2007-_2d00_-continuous-replication-architecture-and-behavior.aspx

http://www.articlesnatch.com/Article/Resolving-Error-501-In-Exchange-Server-/790085

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 2:37 PM
  • the last sucessful backup was about 20 days, and we had also deleted the log file. now please let me know the alternate method to get this backup working.

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 5:27 PM
  • Assuming what you may have ...

I would rather CONFIRM , I have not lost any mails . That is you have not lost any mails but have the issue with the backup.

Since you have a CCR you need to take the full exchange backup on active node. ( this may or may not delete the logs)

if it does not delete the logs then you may have to dismount the stores and delete the logs ( PSS help is recommended )

eventually if you are sucessful in deleting the logs and mounting the server , you can opt for the backup again . ( at this time your replication willl fail as you have log file inconsistencies between primary and secondary.

remove the database and log files from the secondary node and start the replication from scratch . This will synchronise the database and logs to the secondary.

the process requires deligence and PSS help is appreciated. ( but in short you need to recreate the replication after taking the backup on the primary)

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 5:44 PM
  • thanks for the suggestion,

so far i have not lost any emails, i was also thinking of doing a reseeding of the storage group after deleting/moving the logs and database from the passive node.

if i create a blank database and start moving all the mailboxes from the current one, will it work?

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 7:39 PM
  • I would do the first option of reseeding the storage group after moving /deleting the logs.

the second option of creating a blank db and moving the mailboxes ..... will create lots of transaction logs and if used circular logging also may complicate things a bit. I am still not sure where you will move the mailboxes and why ?

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 7:47 PM
  • Hi Shadab,

NTbackup fail probably another instance of backup was still running even after aborted.

You may try below steps:

1 Try stopping the Information Store service and it goes into stopping state

2 Do an end process for the store.exe and restart the Microsoft Exchange Information Store service (It takes some time to start)

3 Check from EMC, the Mailbox database is mounted

4 Restart NTBACKUP

Thanks.

Rowen

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 2:08 AM
  • i have found this problem solution on http://www.melibu.com . but i am not remember page link. just go there and search.
    Tuesday, July 24, 2012 10:53 AM