none
Message Recall - How does it really work

Question

• Hi Guys,

We have just recently moved from GroupWise to Exchange and one of the great functions that GroupWise had was its message retraction. I know that Exchange (Outlook) does have the exact functionality as GroupWise Retraction but it does have Message Recall but our users are having mixed results with it.

We are Running Exchange 2007 SP1 Rollup 2 with clients using Outlook 2007. We have multiple Exchange Mailbox Servers all over the world within our Organization.

Below is a question from a user who has been trying to use the recall message function. When the user tries to recall the message from John Graf it fails.

I checked with John Graf and he confirmed that he does not have a rule to move emails that I send to him to another folder.  According to him, all my emails go right into his inbox and stay there until he opens them.

With reference to your email below, basically what I did to recall the email that I sent to John Graf was as follows:

1. Opened the email from my "Sent Items" folder.

2. Selected "Other Actions", then clicked on "Recall this Message".

3. When the "Recall this Message" window popped up, it confirmed that "No recipients had read this message" and I selected the "Are you sure you want to delete unread copies of this message?" box.  Also, I placed a tick on the box that states "Tell me if recall succeeds or fails for each recipient".

Fyi, I sent the initial email to John Graf and copied it to Raju.  I was able to recall the email from Raju successfully but could not recall the email from John Graf although both of them had not read the email.

The User Recalling the message is on Server 1 in Singapore (Different Time Zone), John Graf is on Server 2 in the USA. Raju is on Server 1 in Singapore.

Can someone explain why it is failing and also explain how the whole Recall Message system works?

Thanks

John.

Thursday, August 14, 2008 10:17 AM

Answers

• Hi,

With reference to how does recall work, I would like to explain the below information:

Message Recall will not be successful if:

The recipient is not using Outlook.

The recipient is not logged on to the mail service provider.

The message has been moved from the Inbox.

The message has been read. This includes viewing the message with the Preview Pane so that the message is flagged as Read.

Recall can only work for:

The recipient uses Outlook, and Outlook is running.

The recipient's mailbox must be open for the recall to succeed.

The message must still be unread and in the recipient's Inbox.

There are a number of circumstances in which message recall doesn't work. Since it is an Outlook feature here are some reasons why it might not work:

You can only attempt to recall a message you sent if you're using Outlook.

Recipients who aren't using Outlook (e.g. POP3, IMAP4, and OWA users) will get the recall request messages, but they have no way to do a recall.

If an Outlook recipient opens the message before opening the recall request, the recall will fail.

Outlook users who have the preview pane turned on may still be able to read the recalled message, even if they haven't opened it.

Most users will see the recall request and immediately rush to read the message.

Below article can also help you understand this issue.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HA010917601033.aspx

Thanks

Allen

Monday, August 18, 2008 3:47 AM
  • Hi,

Yes, if the user in Singapore sends the email from Outlook 2007, and then recalls the email, the user's Outlook in USA must be opening and the message is not read. Otherwise, the recall will be failed. Once the user in the USA opens the Outlook 2007, the recall failure message will be sent.

You said that the user in the USA didn't open the e-mail but the Singapore's user still got a recall failure, to be caused this issue that the cause maybe is the user's Outlook isn't open when the Singapore's user sends the recall message.

Thanks

Allen

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 3:14 AM

All replies

• Hi,

With reference to how does recall work, I would like to explain the below information:

Message Recall will not be successful if:

The recipient is not using Outlook.

The recipient is not logged on to the mail service provider.

The message has been moved from the Inbox.

The message has been read. This includes viewing the message with the Preview Pane so that the message is flagged as Read.

Recall can only work for:

The recipient uses Outlook, and Outlook is running.

The recipient's mailbox must be open for the recall to succeed.

The message must still be unread and in the recipient's Inbox.

There are a number of circumstances in which message recall doesn't work. Since it is an Outlook feature here are some reasons why it might not work:

You can only attempt to recall a message you sent if you're using Outlook.

Recipients who aren't using Outlook (e.g. POP3, IMAP4, and OWA users) will get the recall request messages, but they have no way to do a recall.

If an Outlook recipient opens the message before opening the recall request, the recall will fail.

Outlook users who have the preview pane turned on may still be able to read the recalled message, even if they haven't opened it.

Most users will see the recall request and immediately rush to read the message.

Below article can also help you understand this issue.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HA010917601033.aspx

Thanks

Allen

Monday, August 18, 2008 3:47 AM
  • Hi Allen,

So if the user in Singapore sends the e-mail from Outlook 2007 during their day and htne 5 minutes later she recalls the e-mail but the user in the USA isn't in their Outlook 2007 at the point the user in Singapore recalls the message then the recall fails? Also would the recall failure meesage be sent once the user in the USA logs in to Outlook 2007?

What the user in Singapore is telling me is that the user in the USA didn't open the e-mail but she still got a recall failure.

Thanks

John.

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 8:13 AM
  • Hi,

Yes, if the user in Singapore sends the email from Outlook 2007, and then recalls the email, the user's Outlook in USA must be opening and the message is not read. Otherwise, the recall will be failed. Once the user in the USA opens the Outlook 2007, the recall failure message will be sent.

You said that the user in the USA didn't open the e-mail but the Singapore's user still got a recall failure, to be caused this issue that the cause maybe is the user's Outlook isn't open when the Singapore's user sends the recall message.

Thanks

Allen

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 3:14 AM
  • Allen,

Thanks

John.

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 7:43 AM
  • Hi Allen,

Thank you for your explanation, very helpful, but there is still something that is unclear to me and the article given by you doesn't explain.. Here are 3 scenarios that I experienced and that make the Recall feature confusing to me..

Scenario 1:

We have Exchange Server 2007. Both person S (sender) and R (recipient) use Outlook 2007 and have it open. S is going to send a message to X, but by mistake sends it to R (they have very similar email aliases). R should never read the message. R is away from the computer for 15 minutes. S recalls the message. S is notified the message was successfully recalled. But R never receives it and is not notified that such a message ever existed. And never sees any recall request. But the help for Outlook 2007 says the recipient will be notified of the recall, and this is what I understand from your explanation..

Scenario 2:

Same as in 1, but R is at his desk and reads the message immediately. S is notified of the failure. But again, R is not notified that S tried to recall the message, and doesn't see any recall request, which is what Outlook help (and your explanation) says.

Scenario 3:

S is organizing a birthday cake for R and sends the email to a group (S, R and 5 other workmates). He forgets to exclude R from the recipients. R is out of office on holidays but his computer is working and his outlook is (probably) open. Some of the members of the group have already read the message (and commented it in a separate, private email to S). S recalls the message (checking the box to notify him of the results) but never gets any notification of success/failure of the recall attempt. So after one hour retries the attempt, still no report back. So S doesn't know if the message was recalled or not. The same sender then tests scenario 1 and 2 with a workmate and it works.

Secondary question: You said the message will not be recalled if R uses OWA. What if R has both Outlook open (at work machine that is running) and uses OWA at home/on holidays at the same time? If R checks his emails in OWA he'll still see the original message and the recall request?

Thank you in advance for helping me understand this feature!

Agata

Monday, October 20, 2008 4:19 PM
  • Hello,
    Thank you for the good discussion on this topic.

Is there a server side report to run that would show number of messages that were successfully retracted...? Is there a way to eliminate a message from everyone's inbox via the server?

Thank you,

Steve J.
    Monday, August 10, 2009 6:55 PM
  • We just released an Exchange 2007/2010 add-on for recalling emails at the server here:

http://www.windeveloper.com/recall

IMF Tune anti-spam, integrating with Exchange 2003 IMF, Exchange 2007/2010 Content Filter - http://www.windeveloper.com/imftune/
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 10:41 PM
  • Hi,

If The recipient is not logged on to the email service provider and i recalled a message , does it work once he log on the email ?

Note: i didn't receive any failure of success notifications

• Edited by nsobh Friday, March 30, 2012 10:41 AM
    Friday, March 30, 2012 10:37 AM