none
Mail loop when configuring Doc Lib to receive emails

Question

• Frustrated....  I posted this in the SharePoint 2010 Forums as well...

I have setup a Sharepoint 2010 doc library to receive emails.

We have 1 WFE ServerWe have a CAS/HT Exchange 2010 ServerIronPort Smarthost on the perimeter networkI have followed the instructions I found here:http://www.sharepointedutech.com/2010/10/20/how-to-setup-mail-enabled-document-libraries-in-sharepoint-2010-part-1/

...all 4 parts. everythign was setup in Exchange and AD. No issues.I then sent an email to the library...I was then getting the following error when trying to email the library...

Your message can't be delivered because delivery to this address is restricted. ... seriously??? come on.

I had to go into the contact properties in the Management Console on my CAS/HT Server and set the Message Delivery Setting - uncheck 'Require that all senders be authenticated' - despite the fact that I AM AUTHENTICATED... as an Enterprise Admin...

So after clearing this, I stopped getting bounce backs, but nothing in the library....it's vanished into thin air....

I used the Message Tracking Log Viewer and discovered that the messages was going out through the new Send Connector I built for Sharepoint, and then out through the Send connector to my ironport.... A loop was detected and the message was dropped....This may be more of an Exchange 2010 Question, So I posted this here.

Tony Parker, MSCE . MCTP. MCITP "Anything worth doing, is worth doing right"

Thursday, June 14, 2012 2:51 PM

All replies

• i don;t think having CAS/HT in your DMZ is a supported configuration
    Friday, June 15, 2012 1:32 AM
  • if you created a send connector for Sharepoint, then why are your messages being sent to the ironport instead of the SharePoint server(s)? The Send connector for SharePoint does specify to send the mesages to the SharePoint server(s) directly, is it not?

Dirk Van den Berghe

Friday, June 15, 2012 8:40 AM
  • Ahh, yeah, this is  no brainers, perhaps I should have made it more clear....it's just the Ironport in the perimeter....not the cas/ht.....

Friday, June 15, 2012 2:09 PM
  • well, thats my question!  why is it even going out to the ironport if i created a send connector and yes, specified the sharepoint server directly.....  is this a DNS issue?  should I create a MX internally on my DNS server pointing to the D*mn SP Server?

Understand, that I followed the directions in the link above, word for word,  I even printed them off and checked off each step with a d*mn pencil.  no errors along the way, not brickwalls, all went well.  but it doesn't work. 

Friday, June 15, 2012 2:11 PM
  • what did you specify for smarthost on your send connector
    Friday, June 15, 2012 3:07 PM
  • I specified the Ip Address of my SharePoint WFE Server.  this is running the SMTP Service. 
    So,  In Ex2010 I have the default Send connector that goes to my Ironport
    The intructions were to build a new Send connector Cost of 1 and specify the SP WFE Server.

Its step for step as this:

http://www.sharepointedutech.com/2010/10/22/how-to-setup-mail-enabled-document-libraries-in-sharepoint-2010-part-2/

Thanks

Monday, June 18, 2012 11:33 AM
  • Did you ge this sorted Tony??I'm experiencing very similar. I to followed a guide the same as the one you linked to enable incoming mail to Sharepoint 2010 through Exchange 2010. Followed it to the letter, mutliple times and I now have a bunch of test messages sitting in my Exchang 2010 Submissions queue saying 'Loop detected'. They just don't seem to want to get to my Sharepoint server no matter what I do.

Funnily enough, turning on outgoing mail, for Sharepoint alerts, using another guide and that part works perfectly. SO I have mail going on and external mail getitng as far as my Exchange 2010 box and no further :(

I beleive there is another thread around here where another user is having the exact same issues.

Thursday, June 28, 2012 6:42 AM
  • I was a way on vacation and dreading coming back to this, sadly I have not figured this one out.  I am having an issue with vmware's vcenter operation manager getting anything through as well.  I believe this is coming down to the fact that Exchange 2010 is an over-engineered, bloated peice of Sh*t. I believe in security, but what happened to the days when all it did was just send email...simple.

Keep you posted

Wednesday, July 04, 2012 12:33 PM
  • You could setup a Mail-enabled Public Folder in about 90 seconds...

Wednesday, July 04, 2012 1:16 PM
  • RESOLVED:

Spent a few hours on it this morning.  Here's a new article I followed:

http://sharepointgeorge.com/2010/configuring-incoming-email-sharepoint-2010/

This will get you most of the way.  What he doesn't explain very well is that the address space you enter is the same address space specified in your SMTP Virtual Server Settings on your WFE.  In his example he just simply puts "CHICAGO' which means nothing to me, that could've been the name of his WFE or a child domain, he should've elaborated a bit for those of us who only spend 30 minutes in our Exchange 2010 environment a month.

Most admins don't have a doctorate in Sharepoint or Exchange 2010.  I imagine a lot of them are like me and get a request to do something (which should be so effin simple) and we apply our limited knowledge in combination with reference to MS Documentation.  This is not simple, setting up a library to receive mail required at least 30 steps which take you to your Central Admin, SMTP IIS Management Console on the WFE, Exchange Server, AD and finally back to your library settings.  Serioulsy MS?  Seriously?  Microsoft needs to start making things simplier, A LOT simplier if we are going to adopt SharePoint. And for those that already have adopted, I'm going to go out on a limb and say you'd drop it if something a LOT better, simplier and more intuitive came along.  Look around.... it's not just end users who want the "it just works" environment anymore.  Make this simple, fun and easy to use.  Perhaps visit VMware or Apple and take notes..?  lol

Sorry for the rant, but after 12 years in the industry this endless digging and configuring to do simple mundane tasks is, like me, getting too effin old.

Thanks to all that replied.

Wednesday, July 04, 2012 2:03 PM
  • Hi,
    Interesting Reading.

Just want to add that IF your hear something about "The mailcontact for the Library is not visible in GAL" or "When we reply to emails sent from the library mailcontact, it doesn't show up in the library", take a look at this the below thread.

Tough Exchange-SharePoint configuration question...Any takers?
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchange2010/thread/5caeb981-9f71-44f7-b26f-e8f6e078ce7a/

Martina Miskovic

Wednesday, July 04, 2012 2:32 PM