none
Mailbox Database.edb size

Question

• hi,

we have exchange 2007 sp2. 

Get-MailboxStatistics in the exchange management shell shows 26 mailboxes with a combined size of 35497 mb. event 1221 shows free space of 15972mb, giving a total of 51469 mb equating to 50.3 GB.

from within windows explorer, the properties of the  mailbox database.edb shows a size of 53.1GB.

can anyone account for the difference between the 2 GB figures?

`joe prior

Monday, January 21, 2013 9:19 AM

Answers

• it can be dumpster size or the open references of the mails which recently moved/deleted.

Dumpster- will clear as per the retention period defined

Open references- will turn into white spaces as the online maintenance progresses.  

Kottees : My Blog : Please mark it as an answer if it really helps you.

• Marked as answer by Frank.Wang Wednesday, January 30, 2013 2:08 AM
    Monday, January 28, 2013 6:24 AM
  • Hello

There are few things that you would not counting here.

1.Deleted emails which are in dumpster also counts in size till they expired in retention.

2.Disabled mailboxes also include in it till their retentions expired.

Thanks Prem P Rana MCSA Messaging 2003 MCSE 2003 Server MCTS MCITP Exchange 2007, 2010 Gurgaon, India

Monday, January 28, 2013 2:22 PM

All replies

• get-mailboxstatistics shows the amount of data present in the mailboxes. Exchange database size wont be reduced. 1221 information says that the amount of white space that can be reclaimed as free space after offline defrag is 15972m. In case if your aim is to reduce the size of the EDB File then rather than affording downtime to perform eseutil /d you can consider moving mailboxes to a different store.

Let me know in case if you have any additional queries and please brief about what you are looking for.

M.P.K ~ ( Exchange | 2003/2007/2010/E15(2013)) ~~ Please remember to click “Vote As Helpful" if it really helps and "Mark as Answer” if it answers your question, “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. ~~ This Information is provided is "AS IS" and confers NO Rights!!

Monday, January 21, 2013 12:26 PM
  • I am not concerned about reducing the edb. My query relates to why there is a 2.8gb difference in the 2 figures.

`joe prior

Thursday, January 24, 2013 2:23 PM
  • it can be dumpster size or the open references of the mails which recently moved/deleted.

Dumpster- will clear as per the retention period defined

Open references- will turn into white spaces as the online maintenance progresses.  

Kottees : My Blog : Please mark it as an answer if it really helps you.

Monday, January 28, 2013 6:24 AM
  • Hello

There are few things that you would not counting here.

1.Deleted emails which are in dumpster also counts in size till they expired in retention.

2.Disabled mailboxes also include in it till their retentions expired.

Thanks Prem P Rana MCSA Messaging 2003 MCSE 2003 Server MCTS MCITP Exchange 2007, 2010 Gurgaon, India

Monday, January 28, 2013 2:22 PM