none
Exchange 2007 / Outlook 2010 appointments in meeting room only showing for the creator

Question

• The Exchange Server is a 2007 CCR cluster and the users have been recently upgraded to Outlook 2010.

Users in the site are having problems with appointments not showing up in Meeting Room calendars.

One user can make a booking and it will show on her Outlook but others can't see it - the reverse is also true.

Also, she can't edit appointments i.e. if she has to cancel meeting it says she doesn't have permission. This is causing major problems with double bookings etc. Apparently these problems have only occurred since the 2010 upgrade. The user who reported the issue does not have cached mode enabled on her Outlook.

Hope someone can advise. Thanks.

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 9:24 AM

Answers

• The appropriate proceedure for canceling a meeting for a Room is for the organizer to cancel the meeting on their calendar and the Room will follow suit.  By default, no one can directly change/delete on the Room calendar.  You can give other users permission to do so, but that will break the process that is in place and will probably cause you more issues than you are having now.

As far as viewing the room, you have to set the visibility for the room.  Most calendars by default only allow free/busy to be viewed and if you want more detail than that, the permissions of calendar needs to be changed.

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 2:49 PM
  • You are right, using outlook 2010 should have nothing to do with it, I was just giving you the default behaviour of a Room mailbox which is what you described as what your users are experiencing.  All I am saying is, your organizers should not be directly editing your Room calendars and if they are, then there was a custom permission setup that someone has changed, but I doubt it has anyhting to do with Outlook 2010.  Check the permissions on the Room you are having issues with, including the Calendar permissions to see what is going on.
    Thursday, July 26, 2012 3:12 PM

All replies

• The appropriate proceedure for canceling a meeting for a Room is for the organizer to cancel the meeting on their calendar and the Room will follow suit.  By default, no one can directly change/delete on the Room calendar.  You can give other users permission to do so, but that will break the process that is in place and will probably cause you more issues than you are having now.

As far as viewing the room, you have to set the visibility for the room.  Most calendars by default only allow free/busy to be viewed and if you want more detail than that, the permissions of calendar needs to be changed.

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 2:49 PM

Thanks for replying, but I don't understand how this could relate to the recent upgrade of Outlook to the 2010 version? The meeting room calendars worked before this upgrade, and I don't see how this would have changed permissions.
    Thursday, July 26, 2012 2:21 PM
  • You are right, using outlook 2010 should have nothing to do with it, I was just giving you the default behaviour of a Room mailbox which is what you described as what your users are experiencing.  All I am saying is, your organizers should not be directly editing your Room calendars and if they are, then there was a custom permission setup that someone has changed, but I doubt it has anyhting to do with Outlook 2010.  Check the permissions on the Room you are having issues with, including the Calendar permissions to see what is going on.
    Thursday, July 26, 2012 3:12 PM