none
Need your help on OWA issue

Question

• Hi all,

Exchange 2010 SP1

Recently, some users in OWA can not reply or forward emails (the screen just hangs) and also some users can not open attachments from external connections(internet) and they were fine before. OWA does not have any issue inside network.

How would I troubleshoot this?

Thank you.

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 9:24 PM

Answers

All replies

• if those users can use OWA on another machine and everything is fine that would point to a local issue.

Maybe they can try and use a diff. browser to see if that is an issue

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 9:32 PM
  • Recently,...

What has changed since?

Have you upgraded the browser?

What is the browser now? I imagine some version of IE?

Otherwise, do as Halo-NEXT suggested. If I may elaborate:

1) If you have updated the browser (from IE7 to IE9 for example), can you try a client machine with the former (if any former versions remain).

2) Try with an alternate browser such as Firefox. You may have the "light" interface but does that avoid the problems mentioned?

some users can not open attachments from external connections(internet) and they were fine before. OWA does not have any issue inside network.

So if you send an attachment using Outlook (if you use it inside your organization) to one of these users, the user can open the attachment?

But if someone outside the organization sends a message with an attachment (from Gmail for example) the attachment cannot be opened?

In both cases though, the message (and attachment), once received, reside on the local mail server.

Exchange 2010 SP1

What Rollup?

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 10:01 PM
  • Hi ,

Thanks for all suggestions.

We haven't upgraded any browser and  updates on Exchange servers (SP1 and RU6).

I did extensive tests with IE and Firefox .

The issue happens to every user.

The issue:  The OWA (forward) does not work if a user access it through internet and OWA (forward) works fine inside network.

If I access it through internet connection(like from home etc), the Forward does not work and just hung and can not open any attachment either and hust hung. 

If I am in the office and use internal network, the OWA forward works and can open attachments.

firewall?

any other suggestions?

Thank you.

• Edited by janeHHH Wednesday, June 13, 2012 2:51 PM
    Wednesday, June 13, 2012 1:56 PM
  • by forward do you mean http to https redirect?
    Wednesday, June 13, 2012 3:05 PM
  • We need more information it sounds like you can open OWA and log into it. but when it is open and you try to forward or reply to an email it does not work? if that is the case does creating a new email work?

If you are not able to even log in then this is a different situation. or if you are able to log in but it does not bring up your mailbox then that is a different situation. so can you explain more.

Thanks

Mitch Roberson MCM Exchange 2010|MCITP:Enterprise Server Admin, Messaging 2007, 2010 |MCTS:OCS with Voice Achievement |MCT |MCSE 2000\2003 |MCSE Messaging 2000\2003

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 3:10 PM
  • Sorry about misunderstanding and we do not redirect set up.

I mean In OWA and open a message and click "Forward", it does not work and just hung.

Thank you.

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 3:20 PM
  • Hi Mitch,

>you can open OWA and log into it.

Yes. no problem to login and we can open messages too.

>when it is open and you try to forward or reply to an email it does not work?

Found out that only forward does not work and can not open attachments in OWA.  it just hangs.

>if that is the case, does creating a new email work?

Yes, creating a new email works and  we can create a new mail without any issue. 

the only issue is with "Forward" a message when in OWA and open an attachment.

any other ideas?

Thank you.

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 3:25 PM
  • it shouldn't be a firewall. OWA communication is over https port 443. If firewall was blocking that you wouldn't be able to log into owa

How are you publishing OWA externally?

• Edited by Halo-NEXT Wednesday, June 13, 2012 3:26 PM
    Wednesday, June 13, 2012 3:25 PM
  • I'd check firewall logs anyway. An application level firewall could interfere without totally blocking port 443.
    Wednesday, June 13, 2012 3:41 PM
  • Hi Halo-NEXT,

It seems that this is a global issue which it happens to every user.  No user can "Forward" a message in OWA and No user can open an attachment

through an internet connection.

If a user is in the office, there is no issue with OWA. they can forward and open an atttachment.  So, can we rule out which Exchange servers cause this?

So, what cause this issue?

Thank you.

• Edited by janeHHH Wednesday, June 13, 2012 4:19 PM
    Wednesday, June 13, 2012 4:11 PM
  • i don't really think that this is an exchange issue per say.

If it was you wouldn't be able to perform those tasks internally.

I would probably concentrate on how external users are getting in before they hit your CAS and see if there is anything going on there

• Edited by Halo-NEXT Wednesday, June 13, 2012 8:26 PM
    Wednesday, June 13, 2012 4:52 PM
  • since we have several sites with CAS and MBX servers, just move two users to our DR site.

Two users have no issue with Forward in OWA or open an attachment in another site (https://mail1.mycompany.com/owa.)

The users at the production site use (https://mail.mycompany.com/owa.) these two users can not forward or open an attachment at production site before move.

So, I think it's the firewall issue at production site.  Right?

Thank you.

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 5:33 PM
  • Most likely it is a firewall or your reverse proxy. some firewalls have SSL inspection that will cause problems and others during the proxy may cause problems as well. I would start by checking with the firewall  team. since this all operates over 443 it is not just a port opening issue. most likely it is some type of inspection that is happening somewhere in the path.

Mitch Roberson MCM Exchange 2010|MCITP:Enterprise Server Admin, Messaging 2007, 2010 |MCTS:OCS with Voice Achievement |MCT |MCSE 2000\2003 |MCSE Messaging 2000\2003

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 5:46 PM
  • In addition, you can use the Test-OwaConnectivity cmdlet to verify that Microsoft Office Outlook Web App is running as expected.

And here is a document about configuring external client access. Have a check.

Noya Lau

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, June 14, 2012 7:09 AM
  • update: reboot the CAS servers and the issue is gone.

Thursday, June 14, 2012 2:54 PM