none
Exchange 2010 - Help 451 4.4.0 DNS query failed

Question

• Hello.

I am in the process of replacing our all in one exchange 2007 server with two cas servers and a mailbox server running exchange 2010

I get this error when trying to send internal mail from exchange 2010 to exchange 2007.
    451 4.4.0 DNS query failed. SMTPSEND.DNS.NonexistentDomain.

After a while the mails does get trough.

I have tried disabling ipv6 in the registry as suggested elsewhere on this forum (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchangesvrtransport/thread/2e9a6263-7863-4d13-9480-7611db222e9e ), that made my internal network adapter register our internal network as an unknown (public) network, so i enabled it again.

When sending the other way there is no problem. I have tried to send to a few external mails as well, and i havent experienced any problems there either, but since i only have a testuser running exchange 2010 i cant be sure the same error wont occur when sending to other external domains.

Been at this for a few days, help is very much appriciated.
    /Michael
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 9:38 AM

Answers

All replies

• Ok i read a little more, and noticed that adding ip to your host file could resolve this issue. i added the internal host name and ip of my 2007 server - and this does seem to work. i have now restarted the 2010 CAS server 5 times, and successfully send an e-mail after each reboot. I will continue to test, throughout the day to be sure,  and give you an update.

That said, this seems like a dumb solution. Would be prefered to locate the source of this problem and fix it - now i might need to periodicly add ips to the host file, as i am not sure all external domains work.
    I'm not really sure how to do that... lets say i get the same error when sending to google, how would i go about adding that domain?
    do a mx lookup, notice google.com.s9a1.psmtp.com - ping that, and add "74.125.148.10 google.com.s9a1.psmtp.com" to my host file?
    /Michael
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 11:13 AM
  • Hi,

That seems the known issue on the platform of Windows Server 2008 for the Exchange 2010, please refer to the below thread to workaround this issue:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchangesvrtransport/thread/a9b1a718-7b22-4678-aa91-c8ecebb4c6fa

Thanks

Allen
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 9:04 AM