none
Outlook startup error - "Your IMAP server wants to alert you to the following: Folder name contains invalid delimiters" - after recent Office SP3 update

Question

• Hello -

After applying the recent Office SP3 update at the end of July 2013, I now get the following error when Outlook 2010 is starting:

"Your IMAP server wants to alert you to the following: Folder name contains invalid delimiters"

I called GoDaddy and they have never seen this error.

My wife is getting the same error on her laptop, with her Outlook after the recent update.

I checked every folder, took out all spaces / non alpha characters - but I still get the same error.

Has anyone seen this? This is a new error after applying the recent Office update.

I use GoDaddy as my email provider, using IMAP service.

Thanks.

Saturday, August 03, 2013 5:10 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello -

After applying the recent Office SP3 update at the end of July 2013, I now get the following error when Outlook 2010 is starting:

"Your IMAP server wants to alert you to the following: Folder name contains invalid delimiters"

I called GoDaddy and they have never seen this error.

My wife is getting the same error on her laptop, with her Outlook after the recent update.

I checked every folder, took out all spaces / non alpha characters - but I still get the same error.

Has anyone seen this? This is a new error after applying the recent Office update.

I use GoDaddy as my email provider, using IMAP service.

Thanks.

Saturday, August 03, 2013 5:10 PM
  • Are you using Norton software? disable the outlook addin, restart outlook then delete the folders.

http://www.outlook-tips.net/tips/outlook-folders-named-file-file-reflected-item/

Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
    Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center
    Outlook Tips
    Subscribe to Exchange Messaging Outlook weekly newsletter

Saturday, August 03, 2013 8:19 PM
  • Good Afternoon,

For quickest resolution - I would like to make two suggestions.. 

1 - This isn't the correct post for this question - please post in the Outlook forum below..

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/newthread?category=officeitpro&forum=outlook

2 - This is a Go Daddy issue - please see the link below to open a support case with them

https://support.godaddy.com/support/

Dame Luthas | thelifestrategist.wordpress.com

Success is Something you Attract by the Person you Become

If this post is useful, please hit the green arrow on the left & if this is the answer hit "mark as answer"

Saturday, August 03, 2013 8:53 PM
  • Hi,

Is there any update on this thread?

Thanks,

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsfl@microsoft.com

Simon Wu
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, August 05, 2013 7:45 AM
  • For me, this has been annoying, and I was blaming it on GoDaddy.  They suggested removing this account from Outlook (it is IMAP) and adding it back in, which under IMAP recreates all folders/messages.  Tried than.  Tried renaming ALL sub folders.

Nada.

However, after disabling Norton Add In, this problem has gone away.  Why?  Norton, SP3 Office update?  Don't know.

I will keep searching as I'd prefer to have Norton enabled!!!

Wednesday, August 07, 2013 5:27 PM
  • Seriously, you don't need Norton - those addins tend to make outlook a slug. If it's the antispam addin, set outlook's filter on high; if its the antivirus addin, it gives you advance warning to potentially infected messages, messages you are likely to know are bad news without Norton telling you.  (And no, it clearly was not a GoDaddy problem - this problem affects a lot of IMAP users and is the result of Outlook 2010 SP2 and Norton.)

Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
    Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center
    Outlook Tips
    Subscribe to Exchange Messaging Outlook weekly newsletter

Friday, August 09, 2013 9:25 PM
  • If you are using any antispam addin then disable it or reinstall it to get the issue fixed.

otherwise observe the loading screen and check the addin it gives you the error at, simply close/disable/reinstall the addin.

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 6:00 PM
  • I had same problem the moment I switched from POP server to IMAP server at GoDaddy.com  The warning came up as Norton 360 was loading spam filters into Outlook as Outlook was launching.  One thread on this discussion elsewhere suggested turning the Norton 360 SPAM guard off............and this did the trick for me.  No problems after that.........but now I don't have the Norton SPAM protection.

This appears to be a combined incompatibility between Norton 360, Outlook 2010 and the GoDaddy IMAP server.  I mostly blame the GoDaddy IMAP server because I did not have this same problem with Google's gmail IMAP server.

Monday, October 28, 2013 4:06 AM