none
DAG - Passive copy discrepancy

    Question

  • I have a 4 server DAG with 3 servers located at our HQ and 1 server at our DR site. These servers are multi-role servers (CAS, HUB, MBX).

    We have 12 DBs and all are reporting back their copy status as healthy. One of the DBs though, DB1, seems strange. We are carrying out FULL backups every night using HP DataProtector (reporting successful) but the log files are not truncating for DB1.

    Looking at the edb file sizes for DB1 reveals that on the three servers at HQ, the size is 205GB (correct) and at out DR site, the edb file is 83GB in size???

    If i remember correctly, i used a restored local copy of DB1 on server4 to server as the start of the mailbox database copy (see: http://exchangehero.tumblr.com/post/14116358283/seeding-mailbox-database-copy-from-local-file)

    Basically, i was wondering if this discrepancy was causing the log files to not truncate?? Can i just delete the passive copy at our DR site (server4), let things settle (hopefully the logs might truncate here at HQ), and then create a new database copy back at DR site???

    Any thoughts gratefully received

    Dirk

     


    Dirk Burger
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 10:50 AM

Answers

  • Thanks for the reply Leif.

    I decided to suspend and delete the copy on Server4. As soon as i did this, the live and two passive copies at HQ sorted themselves out and committed all the necessary log files. The setup on server4 was very strange as there were two different folders holding log files totalling 164GB. That must have been what was causing all the problems

    Thanks for your advise

    regards

    Dirk

     


    Dirk Burger
    • Marked as answer by Dirk Burger Wednesday, February 01, 2012 10:43 AM
    Wednesday, February 01, 2012 10:26 AM

All replies

  • Hi,

    You can reseed the database on server4.

    You need to suspend the database copy and then run the update database copy command

    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd335201.aspx

    Leif

    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 12:01 PM
  • Thanks for the reply Leif.

    I decided to suspend and delete the copy on Server4. As soon as i did this, the live and two passive copies at HQ sorted themselves out and committed all the necessary log files. The setup on server4 was very strange as there were two different folders holding log files totalling 164GB. That must have been what was causing all the problems

    Thanks for your advise

    regards

    Dirk

     


    Dirk Burger
    • Marked as answer by Dirk Burger Wednesday, February 01, 2012 10:43 AM
    Wednesday, February 01, 2012 10:26 AM