none
Public folder deletion

Question

• I accidently deleted  my public folders. (must have been too much work and not enough sleep --gotta blame something). I have tried the following to get them back;

1. used outlook 2013 recover delted items (this worked for some of the folders)

2. Used Exfolders (version 14.17.*.*) and I get recovery partially suceeded and it doesn't work.

3. tried digiscope and it didn't show the deleted folders. I don't want to spend money to use it unless I can get the folders back.

4. I have upgraded ex 2010 to sp2-5-2 rollup. and reran exfolders. no joy.

everything I have found says the exfolders 14.2.*.* will work, but my searching has not found that. I only see the 14.17.266.0.

Does anyone have a link for the latest version of Exfolders?

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Thaks in advance!!!

R

Rick G

Friday, January 04, 2013 2:59 PM

Answers

• No reliable backup and no replica's leave you to go to 3rd party products.  Digiscope should be able to do this.

What do you mean by partial recovery via Outlook or ExFolders? If Exfolders has worked not sure why you think getting another version will work unless it says/indicates it will?

Sukh

• Marked as answer by ralphtdog Tuesday, January 22, 2013 1:37 PM
    Friday, January 04, 2013 5:41 PM

All replies

• No PF backup?
    Friday, January 04, 2013 3:07 PM
  • backups are missing due to several other issues. We had an air condx failure that caused our center to go down before the holiday and then the power company caused damage when they backfed 480 to our 240 UPS. any other back up is more than 2 weeks old.

Rick G

Friday, January 04, 2013 3:19 PM
  • No reliable backup and no replica's leave you to go to 3rd party products.  Digiscope should be able to do this.

What do you mean by partial recovery via Outlook or ExFolders? If Exfolders has worked not sure why you think getting another version will work unless it says/indicates it will?

Sukh

• Marked as answer by ralphtdog Tuesday, January 22, 2013 1:37 PM
    Friday, January 04, 2013 5:41 PM

Sukh

I have done hours of reading and searching, Mutliple posts  in technet refer to a newer version of exfolders that should do the trick.  http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchange2010/thread/c89c2031-84c3-4bd0-b8a7-bb04790a8f0c/

I am thinking that digiscope may be my answer.

Rick G

Friday, January 04, 2013 6:00 PM
  • This is the latest. Digiscope is what you may have to resort to or another similar product from Quest/Ontrack.

Sukh

Friday, January 04, 2013 6:06 PM
  • Troy here from Lucid8 that makes DigiScope http://www.lucid8.com/product/digiscope.asp and;

1. The issue with ExFolders not being able to recover the data from PF deletions is fairly well known and nasty in that A: it works sometimes and B: I have seen where using it will cause the data to be non-recoverable thereafter.

2. The other issue of course is retention, i.e. how much time passed between deletion and attempted recovery  

3. You mentioned that DigiScope could not see the deleted folder structures which would seem to infer that the data is gone, however that said did you by chance make a backup of the PF EDB before attempting to do recovery?  If so you then I would recover that EDB to disk and then use DigiScope to recover the missing data from that

Troy Werelius
    www.Lucid8.com
    Search, Recover, & Extract Mailboxes, Folders, & Email Items from Offline EDB's and Live Exchange Servers or Import/Migrate direct from Offline EDB to Any Production Exchange Server, even cross version i.e. 2003 --> 2007 --> 2010 with Lucid8's DigiScope

Saturday, January 05, 2013 1:22 AM
  • Tony,

thanks for the input. I did back up the db before attempting recovery. I am working on that now. I di have an untouched copy of the database.

Deletion happened on Thrusday. and I noticed the problem on Friday.

Rick

Rick G

Monday, January 07, 2013 1:33 PM
  • Excellent, let me know how it turns out and once you get the EDB file to disk it should be straight forward, however if you need any assistance with DigiScope please contact our support department and they will be happy to assist you before you purchase

Troy Werelius
    www.Lucid8.com
    Search, Recover, & Extract Mailboxes, Folders, & Email Items from Offline EDB's and Live Exchange Servers or Import/Migrate direct from Offline EDB to Any Production Exchange Server, even cross version i.e. 2003 --> 2007 --> 2010 with Lucid8's DigiScope

Monday, January 07, 2013 4:29 PM
  • Digiscope did the trick after I did a eseutil repair. We had a power failure that took our a couple of our servers including the san which hosts our backups. We are good and I have been able to recover  just about everything I need. IT was a good time to remove some old unused folders.

RTD...

• Proposed as answer by Troy Werelius Tuesday, January 22, 2013 4:50 PM
    Tuesday, January 22, 2013 1:41 PM
  • Glad to hear we were able to be of assistance.

Troy Werelius
    www.Lucid8.com

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 4:51 PM