none
Outlook Express resets "Leave copy on server"

Question

• Greetings:

I use the OE client for my mail.  I have about 10 pop accounts on a mailserver (Linux/Postfix/Dovecot) that I manage.  I have several PC that retrieve messages from that server and those accounts.

All PC's are set to "leave a copy on the server", except the "master" PC which is set to leave a copy for 3 days, plenty of time for the other PC's to retrieve the messages.

I am encountering a problem on one of the PC's.  Periodically it resets the "leave a copy on the server" flag and downloads all the messages (removing them from the server).  When you look in the accounts properties advanced, it is checked as it should be.  But it doesn't start that way.  Something is causing it to check itself. 

I do periodically copy the outlook message store from the master PC to this PC having the problem, becasue it is my fileserver and has tape backup.  After that copy however, the "leave a copy" is not checked, and the messages do get left.  It seems that a few days later, after a few restarts of OE the flag gets set to not leave a copy.

I have even written a regedit script to reset it.  It sticks for a while, then for no reason apparent to me it resets.

Any suggestions on how to prevent this behavior?

Thanks,

Scott

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 2:01 PM

All replies

• Hello,

I observe this same problem on my XP machine--every 6 months or so, some account gets reset. I hope it's not a hacker or virus.

PP
    Friday, March 14, 2008 5:12 PM
  • I and a couple of my clients have this same problem. Has anyone found a solution? If not, I am considering switching to Mozilla Thunderbird for my mail client to avoid this issue. I will also recommend my clients do the same. Please help Smile
    Friday, April 25, 2008 4:44 PM