none
RecipientType user, not showing up in GAL

Question

• In our Active Directory we have Office 365 users and Google Apps users. Both are synced to Office 365 with Directory Synchronisation. All users have a E3 account, but the users with a Google Apps for Business account don’t have Exchange Online enabled but they can use Lync Online and SharePoint Online.

When we go to our Hybrid Exchange 2010 server, Office 365 users with a Exchange Online account have a Recipient type called: Remote User Mailbox. Users with a Google Apps for Business have a Recipient Type: Mail User

Office 365 user

Google Apps 4 Business users

The only problem whe have is that we can´t select all the the Google Apps for business users from our Global Adress List.

When I use Powershell to get a list of the users, the Google users which a cannot select from the Global Adress List have a different Recipienttype. In Powershell they have the recipientType: User.
    Other Google users which I can select from the Global Address List, have a recipientType address called MailUsers.

Google Apps users which i cannot select form GAL

Google Apps users which i can select form GAL.

How can we change the RecipientType from User to MailUser? So we can select them from the Global Address List.

Sunday, January 13, 2013 1:29 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Acutally, as we all know:

Mail users are similar to mail contacts. Both have external e-mail addresses and both contain information about people outside your Exchange Server 2010 organization that can be displayed in the global address list (GAL) and other address lists. However, unlike a mail contact, a mail user has Active Directory logon credentials and can access resources.

-----

Did you try to use EMC to change these User to MailUser?

I did one test in my environment which I hope useful to you or it will give you some ideas:

1). Open EMS and type "Get-User", then I can see one User named "krbtgt"

2). Open EMC in the Exchange Server, then Expand "Recipient Configuration" and "Mail Contact"

3). Click "New Mail User" on the right panel

4). Select "Existing user" and click "Browse" and select "krbtgt"

5). Click “Next”, and Type "Alias" and "External e-mail address", Click "Next" and "New"

6). Then I type "Get-MailUser" in EMS, I can see the User "krbtgt" changed to "MailUser". Also we can see all MailUsers in "Mail Contact" under "Recipient Configuration".

-----

And we can refer to following artilce to get more knowledge:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124381(v=exchg.141).aspx

-----

Hope all above helpful to you.

Regards,

Jerry Ye

--------------------------------------------------------------

Exchange 2010 | Exchange 2007 | Outlook 2010 | Outlook 2007 | SBS 2011 | SBS 2008

Finding problems is to make progress & Solving problems is to keep advance

Monday, January 14, 2013 5:02 AM
  • When we go to the wizard and want to select an Existing User, the users with the problems which don’t show up in our GAL can not be selected.

The users with all the problems are for example Jan Oord, Frank van Breugel (all users in the image below except the users above.

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 3:24 PM
  • Hi,

Please have a try to recreate the office 365 users as a contact mail in the on-premise exchange server.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Sean Xiao
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 5:24 AM
  • 1, On the on-prem server run the Exchange Powershell cmdlet: Disable-MailUser
    by identitiy, type in the user.

2, Check on-prem if the RecipientType is set to user instead of Mailuser, using the Exchange PowerShell cmdlet. Get-User

3, Run the Start-OnlineCoexistenceSync cmdlet.

4, Now use the GUI for the New Mail User wizard in Exchange.

5, Select Existing user

6, Enter alias and external e-mail address.

7, Finish the wizard.

8, After finishing the wizard, perform a second dirsync using Start-OnlineCoexistenceSync.

It may thake a while.

9, Check using Microsoft Online Services-module for Windows PowerShell cmdlet:  get-user

Monday, April 08, 2013 2:49 PM