none
Exchange 2003 -> 2010 Public Folder / Uninstall problem

Pregunta

• Well I may have committed the ultimate taboo in my haste to remove a  legacy 2003 server. 

We finalized the move of all User Mailboxes to the new 2010 server. I asked another tech to verify that Public folders had been replicated. He apparently mis-understood..... (should have checked I know). We attempted to uninstal Exchnage 2003 about 3/4 of the way through it barked up an error stating in could not complete. This was during the removal of the Public folders stage. It then prompted for a reboot.

During the reboot it hit me what had just happened.  I popped over to the exchange 2010 server to see the queue full of messages destined for the publicfolderdb but undeliverable.

I tried to launch the system manager on the old system and its not coming up. I did  a repair of exchange 2003 SP0 install and overlaid the service packs up still it cant find the MSC.

Whats the best move at this point?

viernes, 02 de marzo de 2012 6:24

Respuestas

Todas las respuestas

• The goal is to get the Public Folder data which is still on Exchange Server 2003. I don’t know what all methods you’re tried for removal
    hoping you didn’t delete the PF Database or its content. The solution I can think of the System state restore of the Exchange 2003.

Another method could be getting another server with same name and then trying the setup /disasterrecovery. This will going to work only if there is not too much damage done in Active directory and the setup was not reached a state where he started removing the entry from Active Directory.

Jasjit Singh Dhindsa | ITIL v3 | IASA Foundation Certified | MCITP: EMA 2010/2007 | MCTS: MES 2010/2007, OCS 2007 | MCSA: M+S | MCSE: M+S

viernes, 02 de marzo de 2012 6:42
  • I didnt delete anything so I assume all content is still in place, but since I dont care about any of the user data, what is in the public folder that I would care about.

Cant I just recreate the folder from scratch and rebuild the OAB and be done with it?

viernes, 02 de marzo de 2012 6:45
  • Recreating the folder will not bring back your old Public Folder data.

Jasjit Singh Dhindsa | ITIL v3 | IASA Foundation Certified | MCITP: EMA 2010/2007 | MCTS: MES 2010/2007, OCS 2007 | MCSA: M+S | MCSE: M+S

viernes, 02 de marzo de 2012 6:55
  • What would I loose if I did?
    viernes, 02 de marzo de 2012 7:16
  • Only to clarify your situation. Do you still need the data in the pf db or not? If not just remove the pf db from your exchange organization according to http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd876883.aspx after this you might get Events 2937 if you already applied sp1 or higher for exch 2010 so you would need to remove last links to your pf db in the ad according to http://forums.msexchange.org/m_1800543224/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm#1800543224 than you should be done. Just recreate the oad in the webservices and evrything should run fine.

If you need the data from the pf db then you should do an restore as Jasjit Singh Dhindsa said.

• Marcado como respuesta Connetic-EJS viernes, 02 de marzo de 2012 8:24
    viernes, 02 de marzo de 2012 8:10
  • No there is no data that anyone needed (the last time it was accessed was 9 moths ago), Ill recreate the OAB, I was having a panic attack because I assumed there was data that the org needed in there to function, like free-busy data and the ability for 2003 Outlook users to connect. 

If thats not the case Ill remove it. 

viernes, 02 de marzo de 2012 8:16
  • Since Exch 2007 you only need pf if having clients with outlook 2003 or earlier to work.
    viernes, 02 de marzo de 2012 8:26
  • Yea the 2003 clients may be the catch.

I tried to simply add a new PF DB but when I use the PF Folder Tool nether of the root folders expand. Is that because the references to the default PF DB in AD are hosed? 

and in that case would I need to point to the new DB correctly using this method?  http://www.vware.at/?p=169

viernes, 02 de marzo de 2012 8:40
  • I would first completely remove the pf databeses from the organisation, see my first link and follow the instrictions on removing the last pf database from the organisation. Than recreate one pf on the 2010 server. That should work.
    viernes, 02 de marzo de 2012 8:45
  • lol and another ....

The public folder database 'Public Folder Database 1810006364' cannot be deleted.
    Public Folder Database 1810006364
    Failed
    Error:
    Exchange can't remove the public folder database Public Folder Database 1810006364 because it's the last public folder database in an organization that has pre-Exchange 2007 servers. Organizations that have pre-Exchange 2007 servers must have at least one public folder database.

viernes, 02 de marzo de 2012 8:54
  • That`s okay. So can you bring up a new databese in the exch 2010 server first and then delete the 2003 one?

viernes, 02 de marzo de 2012 10:09
  • Thanks for all the help with this. 

Ill try that this weekend, as it stands no users have noticed anything weird so I think we are ok for now. I would like to get the PF back in place so Ill let you know how it goes.

Once again thanks! 

viernes, 02 de marzo de 2012 17:21