none
exchange migration and mailbox database changing

Pertanyaan

• ok my server on which is exchange 2010 has its disk full around 75% so i have get new server and want to migrate on it

i will do migration with Setup /m:recoverServer

beacouse my databaes is 330GB and i have some users that are deleted from database aruond 30GB of data and when i deleted them mailbox databaes remain the same size, i know it is not good to delete mailboxes from databes, so i was wondering about changing my mailbox database configuration

i have around 130-140 users,

so picture this single database for single user, 130 users 130 database, ??? i can delete users and mailboxes easy, but what about server load did anyone tested this ever

or what about 10 users on single databes, so around 13 databases on single server???

what you think about this?? Please help!

22 Juni 2012 11:54

Jawaban

• Hi,

Mailbox databases don't autoshrink, if you want to shrink the size of the database you need to dismount the database and defrag it with eseutil.exe /d

Having one database is problematic but one for each user is overkill. I've never had any problems disabling mailboxes or clearing mailbox stores of old "moved" mail boxes

$Mailboxes = Get-MailboxStatistics -Database "Staff D" | where {$_.DisconnectReason -eq "SoftDeleted"}
    $Mailboxes | foreach {Remove-StoreMailbox -Database $_.database -Identity $_.mailboxguid -MailboxState SoftDeleted}

I have around 50 databases but performance will vary depending on your server sizing. If you're adding another server and keeping both Exchange servers have a look at setting up DAG's.

J

22 Juni 2012 12:37
  • First of all, you can't have more than 100db's with Enterprise on a server and with 130 users, I assume you have standard edition which has a limit of 5 DBs.

First thing you need to know is that the database size never goes down. Even if you delete mail and mailboxes, only the whitespace increases. Exchange automatically cleans deleted items and mailbox at the predefined times specified under the DB configuration. But the only way to reduce the actual DB size is to move the users to a new database and then delete the original.

Personally, I also think that 330GB is a bit big and introduces backup / recovery complexities, so perhaps go with 2-3 DBs, but not more.

Casper Pieterse, Principle Consultant - UC, Dimension Data North America, Microsoft Certified Master: Exchange 2007 / 2010

22 Juni 2012 12:41

Semua Balasan

• Hi,

Mailbox databases don't autoshrink, if you want to shrink the size of the database you need to dismount the database and defrag it with eseutil.exe /d

Having one database is problematic but one for each user is overkill. I've never had any problems disabling mailboxes or clearing mailbox stores of old "moved" mail boxes

$Mailboxes = Get-MailboxStatistics -Database "Staff D" | where {$_.DisconnectReason -eq "SoftDeleted"}
    $Mailboxes | foreach {Remove-StoreMailbox -Database $_.database -Identity $_.mailboxguid -MailboxState SoftDeleted}

I have around 50 databases but performance will vary depending on your server sizing. If you're adding another server and keeping both Exchange servers have a look at setting up DAG's.

J

22 Juni 2012 12:37
  • First of all, you can't have more than 100db's with Enterprise on a server and with 130 users, I assume you have standard edition which has a limit of 5 DBs.

First thing you need to know is that the database size never goes down. Even if you delete mail and mailboxes, only the whitespace increases. Exchange automatically cleans deleted items and mailbox at the predefined times specified under the DB configuration. But the only way to reduce the actual DB size is to move the users to a new database and then delete the original.

Personally, I also think that 330GB is a bit big and introduces backup / recovery complexities, so perhaps go with 2-3 DBs, but not more.

Casper Pieterse, Principle Consultant - UC, Dimension Data North America, Microsoft Certified Master: Exchange 2007 / 2010

22 Juni 2012 12:41