none
Migrating from Exch2007 to Exch2010 (but 2007 box is also a DC)

Pertanyaan

• We currently have 2 Exchange servers (1 - Exch2007 and 1 - Exch2010).  The 2007 server also is our primary DC, GC and DNS. (Yes, I know this is not a good practice, but at the time I didn't know better.)  I have in recent years added another DC, GC and DNS (not running Exchange).  Anyway, I have moved all mailboxes to the new Exchange 2010 server about 6 months ago and it's running great, but I'm worried about what will happen when I remove 2007 from that first server.

What I intend to do is setup a Send Connector on the new server... and point our spam filter service (MXLogic) to the new server.  After that, if mail is still flowing... I'll probably do small tests (for example, does mail still flow during a restart of the old server, etc.).  But eventually, I plan to uninstall Exchange 2007 from that old server.  I guess my main questions are:

1 - Am I going to run into problems because Exchange 2007 was on a domain controller?

2 - Is there another recommended path I should take/what else should I do?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer!

22 Juni 2012 16:01

Jawaban

• The only complication with Exchange being on a domain controller is that Exchange will onlyuse that DC. Therefore if your plan is to remove that server, then you will need to remove Exchange, then remove the GC role. Immediately restart the live Exchange server AD Topology service, which will restart everything else, but crucially force Exchange to update its list of domain controllers.

Send Connectors are not server specific, they are an org setting. Therefore all you need to do is change the source server from the Exchange 2007 server to the Exchange 2010 server and then restart Transport on both. Nothing else required.

"First" Exchange server isn't so critical on Exchange 2007 and higher. Ensure that you have moved the OAB generator, but otherwise the uninstall process will catch anything else that you have missed (public folder replication for example).

Simon.

Simon Butler, Exchange MVP
    Blog | Exchange Resources | In the UK? Hire Me.

• Ditandai sebagai Jawaban oleh Scotts444 25 Juni 2012 1:50
    22 Juni 2012 16:08

Semua Balasan

• The only complication with Exchange being on a domain controller is that Exchange will onlyuse that DC. Therefore if your plan is to remove that server, then you will need to remove Exchange, then remove the GC role. Immediately restart the live Exchange server AD Topology service, which will restart everything else, but crucially force Exchange to update its list of domain controllers.

Send Connectors are not server specific, they are an org setting. Therefore all you need to do is change the source server from the Exchange 2007 server to the Exchange 2010 server and then restart Transport on both. Nothing else required.

"First" Exchange server isn't so critical on Exchange 2007 and higher. Ensure that you have moved the OAB generator, but otherwise the uninstall process will catch anything else that you have missed (public folder replication for example).

Simon.

• Ditandai sebagai Jawaban oleh Scotts444 25 Juni 2012 1:50
    22 Juni 2012 16:08
  • to decommission I would recommend stopping/disabling Exchange services as a test (rather than shutting down the whole server) and leave them stopped for period of time (say a week or two) to ensure you don't have any issues before uninstalling. You will see errors on the other Exchange server not being able to communicate but as long as mail flow and all other functionality is there then you should be able to ignore those.

Chris Morgan

22 Juni 2012 20:03
  • Thank you for the guidance.  This won't happen tomorrow for me (because there are other pieces to the puzzle)... but I wanted to make sure I had some clear direction in mind. So again, thank you! - Scott
    25 Juni 2012 1:49
  • I might have to give this a try. I had been told at one point that (given my scenario) if I stopped services rather than a brief shutdown, I'd see problems. Thanks!
    25 Juni 2012 1:54
  • I might have to give this a try. I had been told at one point that (given my scenario) if I stopped services rather than a brief shutdown, I'd see problems. Thanks!

Yes, because Exchange expects the other server to be there. Removing Exchange is the best way, the uninstaller will tell you if something is missing.

Simon.

25 Juni 2012 11:08