none
Delivery of message sent by public folder has failed

Pertanyaan

• I have just shutdown our Exchange 2003 server in advance of removing it after completing the migration to Exchange 2010.  (I shutdown the 2003 server for a week to make sure that all connections have been updated before performing the removal.)  All mail flow appears to be working correctly.  However, on the 2010 server I'm seeing a series of Event ID: 2028 messages regarding public folders:

The delivery of a message sent by public folder 8AE710B921FD9D40B688A09AAF3F288B-000000793A86 has failed.
     To: customer1@company.com
    Cc:

The non-delivery report has been deleted.

I ran the command "Get-User “User A” | Fl DistinguishedName" using the Hex identifier above but received the error it couldn't be found on the domain controller.  The Hex identifier above was found in a mail enabled public folder that is used to archive marketing messages.  The Hex number is listed under the attribute 'TargetAddress' with a value of "expf:8AE710B921FD9D40B688A09AAF3F288B-000000793A86"

My question is: why does this appear only when the 2003 server is shutdown?  All public folders were successfully migrated two months ago.  Also, how do I resolve these errors?

Thanks,
    Joe

22 Juni 2012 12:18

Jawaban

• I'm going to have to check with the marketing guys that manage that mailbox, which won't happen until next week.  However, if an NDR is generated shouldn't in be created by the mailbox itself before the forwarding rule kicks in?

Im thinking it was a NDR sent to that mailbox and when forwarded the PF rejected it.

( Oh and the hub transport catagorizer process may be rejecting this, so it doesnt mean the message was "forwarded" to the PF)

23 Juni 2012 15:36
  • Sorry for the delay in posting a response.  I'm not sure if this issue was caused by a rule forwarding NDR's to a public folder, or if it was related to the shutdown of the old Exchange 2003 server.  (I had shutdown the old server prior to removing Exchange to make sure there were no unforeseen problems.)  I have now removed Exchange 2003 from the organization and the NDR errors have not reappeared.  I'm considering the issue resolved.

Thanks for everyones input.
    Joe

• Ditandai sebagai Jawaban oleh JWD2 03 Juli 2012 12:47
    03 Juli 2012 12:47

Semua Balasan

• Public Folders do not support NDRs. THis is by design and as far as I know, you cant suppress those warnings.  You can check message tracking to see which folder didnt accept that message.

• Ditandai sebagai Jawaban oleh JWD2 22 Juni 2012 12:36
    • Tanda sebagai Jawaban dihapus oleh JWD2 22 Juni 2012 12:36
    22 Juni 2012 12:36
  • Understood.  However, this public folder is NOT sending the messages so shouldn't be trying to generate an NDR.  Messages are forwarded to this folder from a standard mailbox using a server side rule so that multiple people have access to the messages.
    22 Juni 2012 12:37
  • Understood.  However, this public folder is NOT sending the messages so shouldn't be trying to generate an NDR.  Messages are forwarded to this folder from a standard mailbox using a server side rule so that multiple people have access to the messages.

What does message tracking show as far as the reason the message bounced?

22 Juni 2012 14:11
  • Message tracking shows nothing.  I select the mailbox with the forwarding rule and the recipient address from the error can not be found, either as a sender or recipient.
    23 Juni 2012 13:27
  • Message tracking shows nothing.  I select the mailbox with the forwarding rule and the recipient address from the error can not be found, either as a sender or recipient.

Was the forwarded message to that pf a NDR? Do you see the message in the maibox that is forwarding?

23 Juni 2012 13:36
  • I'm going to have to check with the marketing guys that manage that mailbox, which won't happen until next week.  However, if an NDR is generated shouldn't in be created by the mailbox itself before the forwarding rule kicks in?
    23 Juni 2012 13:39

Im thinking it was a NDR sent to that mailbox and when forwarded the PF rejected it.

( Oh and the hub transport catagorizer process may be rejecting this, so it doesnt mean the message was "forwarded" to the PF)

23 Juni 2012 15:36
  • hi JWD2,

any update?

thanks,

CastinLu

TechNet Community Support

25 Juni 2012 7:24
  • I won't have an update on this until tomorrow earliest.

Joe

25 Juni 2012 12:03
  • Sorry for the delay in posting a response.  I'm not sure if this issue was caused by a rule forwarding NDR's to a public folder, or if it was related to the shutdown of the old Exchange 2003 server.  (I had shutdown the old server prior to removing Exchange to make sure there were no unforeseen problems.)  I have now removed Exchange 2003 from the organization and the NDR errors have not reappeared.  I'm considering the issue resolved.

Thanks for everyones input.
    Joe

• Ditandai sebagai Jawaban oleh JWD2 03 Juli 2012 12:47
    03 Juli 2012 12:47