none
Calendar on Activesync causing high CPU on Exchange server

    Domanda

  • We have a user who just recently switched from a blackberry to an Android phone.  Shortly after adding his device to Activesync, our mail server Store.exe started consistently using over 50% CPU and repeatedly shows the Activesync event id 1008 in event viewer.

    If I disable calendar syncing on his phone, the high CPU and errors go away.


    Any ideas?

    Thanks,

    Zak

    As an update, I just added his email account to my iPhone and this issue does not occur, only on his Android(Motorola Atrix).

     


    venerdì 8 luglio 2011 21:30

Risposte

  • I was wrong with my previous conclusion.  Apparently I did not monitor the second Atrix long enough to get a valid test. 

    The cause of our problem was the following:

    We previously had a very large Public Folders master calendar which the whole firm shared for conference room and executive out of office notes.

    This user had inadvertently created a copy of the calendar nested under his calendar.  About 15 min after deleting this calendar from his mailbox, the CPU problem went away, and has not returned.

    Hope this helps others narrow down similar issues.

    Zak

    • Contrassegnato come risposta Zak Lyles venerdì 22 luglio 2011 22:21
    venerdì 22 luglio 2011 22:21

Tutte le risposte

  • Make sure the Android has the latest firmware.
    Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    sabato 9 luglio 2011 01:26
  • Hi
       Can you post your version of exchange?
       It is hotfix of exchange 2003.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/970103
       1. Please update your exchange and mobile phone to last version.
       2. If possible, can you try to connect to exchange by other program and test again?

    lunedì 11 luglio 2011 05:45
  • Sorry, we are running Exchange 2007 SP3.

     

    lunedì 11 luglio 2011 14:33
  • Hi
       As far as I know,  Iphone high store CPU usage on exchange 2007 has been fixed in Sp1. It is
    link.
       So iphone works well and android doesn’t. I can’t find patch to it. Your problem will be reported to development.

    martedì 12 luglio 2011 02:45
  • I will reply back later today, but it looks like it may be specific to his phone. 
    martedì 12 luglio 2011 14:26
  • Turned out to be something wrong with his particular phone.  I added his email account to another users Motorola Atrix and these symptoms did not occur.  He is going to take the phone back to get a new one.

    Thanks for the replies,

    Zak


    Zak Lyles
    • Contrassegnato come risposta Terence Yu mercoledì 13 luglio 2011 01:51
    • Contrassegno come risposta annullato Zak Lyles venerdì 22 luglio 2011 22:16
    martedì 12 luglio 2011 23:09
  • Hi Ed, we are currently have issues with exchange 2003 and 100% cpu utilization.  This came out of the blue, we have not installed any new version, how can tell for sure if this is something related to activesync or can there be another issue?  
    Raff
    giovedì 14 luglio 2011 18:31
  • Raff,

    In our case, the high CPU came out of the blue as well, so we checked the event viewer application logs on the mail server.  We noticed there were a ton of warning entries with the event id 1008 referencing ActiveSync. 

    At that point I went back to the last user I added to the server and removed the account from his phone, within 15 seconds the CPU usage droped back down to nearly nothing.

    Unfortunately the error message did not refer to any particular user or what was causing the problem, so if this is your problem and you have added a lot of mobile devices to ActiveSync, it could be troublesome tracking down the source of the issue.

    Zak

    giovedì 14 luglio 2011 18:56
  • would disabling activesync rule this out? we disabled it and still the cpu is 100%
    Raff
    giovedì 14 luglio 2011 19:11
  • I was wrong with my previous conclusion.  Apparently I did not monitor the second Atrix long enough to get a valid test. 

    The cause of our problem was the following:

    We previously had a very large Public Folders master calendar which the whole firm shared for conference room and executive out of office notes.

    This user had inadvertently created a copy of the calendar nested under his calendar.  About 15 min after deleting this calendar from his mailbox, the CPU problem went away, and has not returned.

    Hope this helps others narrow down similar issues.

    Zak

    • Contrassegnato come risposta Zak Lyles venerdì 22 luglio 2011 22:21
    venerdì 22 luglio 2011 22:21