none
Calendar and Task reminders not popping up

Domanda

• We have recently upgraded Office 2000 to Office 2007 for a group of test users, obviously this includes Outlook.  Outlook 2007 is connected to an Exchange 2003 server with SP 2 on Windows 2003 Server SP2.  The client is Windows XP SP2 with all patches.

No matter what I do with an Outlook client reminders do not prompt; however, if I access the mailbox via OWA the reminders prompt, even past reminders.  I have tried multiple computers so multiple instances of Outlook.  I have also tried the following switches with Outlook: /cleanreminders, /resetfolders, /cleansniff, /cleanfreebusy (just for the heck of it), but with no success.

I even installed Outlook 2000 on a new computer and tried to test reminders and still nothing.

I am hoping someone else would have a suggestion to try to get reminders to work.  I am almost at the point of removing the mailbox and recreating it; however, I still have a couple hundred users to upgrade and I would rather not have to worry about this problem impacting future upgrades.
    giovedì 19 giugno 2008 19:39

Tutte le risposte

• Hi,

I suggest we first check whether the reminder information exists in the folder.

1.Download MFCMAPI using the following link:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=55fdffd7-1878-4637-9808-1e21abb3ae37&DisplayLang=en

2. On the Session menu, click Logon and Display Store Table.

3. If you are prompted to select a profile, click the profile name in the Profile Name list, and then click OK.

4. Double-click the mailbox that contains the inbox rules that you want to delete.

5. Expand Root Container, and then expand Finder.

6. Double click Reminders, we will find some items did in this folder.

Note: Outlook will not display any reminders if there are no item in the reminder folder. One item in the reminder folder mean an reminder should be displayed in Outlook.

What’s the result?

Thanks

Allen

• Proposto come risposta Jineshv lunedì 24 maggio 2010 05:30
    martedì 24 giugno 2008 04:59
  • Allen,

First thank you for responding.  I ran through your steps above and found nothing in the Reminders folder.  So I logged off the users mailbox and logged on to my personal mailbox where reminders are working.  I saw many items in the Reminders folder.

The result of the mailbox not showing reminders is that nothing appears in the Reminders folder.

Chad
    martedì 24 giugno 2008 12:55
  • Hi,

Before going on, I would like to explain that the principle of the Reminders working for client.

Outlook processes Reminders from a special folder in your mailbox called the Reminders Folder. This folder is a Search folder which contains links to messages where the message criteria has the following conditions (could be either one or both):

Reminder Set = True

Recurring = True

When a new message arrives, is created, modified or deleted in the Inbox, Task and Calendar, the Exchange server will automatically check the message conditions. If the messages meet the above criteria, it will process the Search folder (Reminders folder) to either, add a link, change a link or delete a link.

For example,  if you get a new meeting request, the senders has set the Reminder to ON, when the message is delivered to your Inbox, the Exchange Server looks for the message which meets the criteria referenced above and will a link of this message to the Reminders Folder.

If you change an existing appointment with Reminder ON to Reminder Off, the Exchange Server notes that the message no longer meets the criteria and removes the link from the Reminder Folder.

Outlook then acts upon what is in the Reminders Folder. Outlook listens for any Change, Delete and Add events on the Reminders Folder. Outlook maintains a memory cache of what is in the Reminders Folder and this memory cache is used to trigger the Reminders that you see in the Outlook client.

So, if a meeting request arrives where a Reminder = OFF, then this item will never be added to Outlook's Reminder Folder and Outlook will never know that a Reminder needs to occur for this event. To make it function, we have to open these items and turn the Reminder ON manually.

Link to your issue, we can conclude that the issue can be caused by many factors, such as the Reminder Folder is corrupted, the incoming request where Reminder=OFF, the incoming request has been changed Reminder=OFF.

Now please first check the basic configuration of the Outlook.

Outlook | Tools | Options | Other | Advanced Options | Reminder Options | please check whether the Display the reminder option is checked.

If the issue persists, please use MFCMAPI to delete the Reminders Folder, then run outlook /resetfolders to recreate this folder.

Try to recreate one user’s profile of the Outlook to check this issue. And make sure the Default Reminder option has been selected on the side of the sender.

Thanks

Allen

• Proposto come risposta Jineshv lunedì 24 maggio 2010 05:30
    venerdì 27 giugno 2008 03:33
  • If the issue persists, please use MFCMAPI to delete the Reminders Folder, then run outlook /resetfolders to recreate this folder.

2 years later, this fix still works :D.  Thanks!

edit:  The URL for the MAPI editor is now http://mfcmapi.codeplex.com/

venerdì 21 maggio 2010 17:13
  • This fix still works! Thanks Guys!
    venerdì 17 giugno 2011 18:41
  • Unfortunately, I cannot get this fix to work today. I have 32-bit Outlook installed on a 64-bit Windows 7 machine. The 64-bit MFCMAPI doesn't work with 32-bit Outlook, and the 32-bit MFCMAPI crashes every time. Is there a way out of this? Thanks.
    martedì 21 giugno 2011 23:40
  • Running the below from the command line worked for me.  Thanks to http://www.outlookpower.com/issues/issue200501/00001461001.html.

outlook /cleanreminders

lunedì 3 ottobre 2011 22:35
  • I have office 2010 on win xp 32 bit , i tried following all the instructions mentioned by allen above

checked if reminders are turned on - yes, they are

removed reminders folder using MFCMAPI and did reset folders, still no luck

Any other clues/tips please?

venerdì 14 ottobre 2011 21:47
  • If you guys still need help with this might want to try this. It worked for me.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/winserverTS/thread/bdb36714-eb48-4741-8454-e78b27a3e2a1

• Proposto come risposta Jonathan Plaza martedì 25 ottobre 2011 17:15
    lunedì 24 ottobre 2011 19:24
  • Pford0779,

Thanks for linking to this. Removing that KB was the only thing that worked in my case. A user wouldn't get reminders on their pc. I signed on with my account & would get reminders. So I recreated user's outlook profile & still nothing. I recreated their windows profile & still nothing! Only when I removed this KB did the reminders start to popup again. Weird thing is that my reminders would work on the user's pc & everyone else's pc that had the KB also was fine. Thanks.

• Modificato Jonathan Plaza martedì 25 ottobre 2011 17:24
    • Proposto come risposta Ken Francis venerdì 28 ottobre 2011 17:58
    • Proposta come risposta annullata Ken Francis venerdì 28 ottobre 2011 18:28
    martedì 25 ottobre 2011 17:21
  • I have been struggling with this one for a couple days and with the combination of several posts I found a solution that worked for my user.

Outlook 2007 running on Windows Vista.

A read in a previous post that turning on Cache mode would get the reminders to start poping up. In our environment, we do not run outlook in cache mode. I enabled cache mode, restarted outlook and received 50 reminders.

I found a HotFix that addresses several issues, one of them being reminders only popup when in cached mode.

I installed the HotFix, turned off cache mode, restarted outlook and received the 50 reminders again! yeah problem solved.

check to see if the reminders will popup in Cache mode and if so, here's a link to the hotfix (remember to turn off cache mode though).

http://support.microsoft.com/hotfix/KBHotfix.aspx?kbnum=2553028&kbln=en-us#step2

• Proposto come risposta Alvin Joseph1 martedì 13 marzo 2012 18:50
    venerdì 28 ottobre 2011 18:05
  • You are welcome! you might want to hide the update too cause windows will just see it during the next up date and install it back on the computer and the reminders will go away again. Just an FYI. Glad to hear that work for you tho!
    martedì 1 novembre 2011 12:19
  • Yes, I had forgotten about the automatic updates & the next day the reminders stopped working again because the update reinstalled itself. However, this time I just installed the hotfix on this one pc & reminders started to work again regardless of the update.

It's a weird problem. Like I said, all other computers with the update don't have a problems with reminders popping up. But I did noticed on these other computers that if you go to VIEW > REMINDERS WINDOW then the reminders window is empty. But reminder popups still work. I uninstalled this update on some other computers & then installed it again & the reminders window from the menu actually listed the reminders instead of being empty.

On my pc my reminders would popup but if I actually went to the reminder window from the menu it would be empty. I couldn't uninstall the update. The hotfix did nothing for it & neither did SP3. Not even uninstalling office 2007 & reinstalling would allow me to uninstall the update. But as long as my reminders popup I'm ok with it.

I'm still debating whether or not I should uninstall this update from all computers before I push SP3 since reminders are working. They are just not visible from the menu. Once SP3 is installed the update goes away so it can't be removed anymore.

• Proposto come risposta MissyFlower mercoledì 29 maggio 2013 23:32
    martedì 1 novembre 2011 13:04
  • Here is what worked for me - I downloaded MFCMAPI, deleted the Reminders folder through it, as described by Allen in above post, and did "Start>Run>outlook /resetfolders" This did not work for me at first.

However, I had read somewhere that this issue is caused by any one particular reminder that is corrupted. So in MFCMAPI, in the list of reminders, I opened the oldest reminder, removed recurrence and saved.

Then I deleted Reminders folder and opened outlook. This time it worked.

lunedì 14 novembre 2011 20:22
  • I had the same problem and fixed it by moving the mailbox with the Exchange Task Wizard.
    The move resulted in a rebuild of de Exchange store for the user without loss of data.

Took about 5 minutes.

mercoledì 23 novembre 2011 09:23
  • I had a user running xp with outlook 2007 with the same issue, this solution resolved my issue.  Thanks!
    martedì 13 marzo 2012 18:51
  • Enabling Cached Mode worked for my customer. Running Outlook 2007 SP2.
    mercoledì 28 marzo 2012 20:52
  • Hi, Allen

Great explanation.

It worked for my Outlook 2003 on XP. Apparently it didn't work on Windows 7 though. And idea why and how I can fix the same issue on Windows 7.

Cheers,

Samuel

venerdì 21 settembre 2012 01:52