none
How to forbid users from using Telnet service to connect port 25 on Exchange server?

질문

• Hi all,

Can I forbid users from using telnet service to connect port 25 on the exchange server?

I understand I won't be able to test smtp via port 25, but I don't want someone else using it against me either.

Thanks.

2011년 8월 4일 목요일 오전 7:03

답변

• Hi A.W,

Easy way is that you can create a Group Policy to disable running Telnet.exe on the client computer...

Frank Wang

Forum Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact

• 답변으로 표시됨 Frank.Wang 2011년 8월 11일 목요일 오전 1:35
    2011년 8월 5일 금요일 오전 7:57
    1. Also, if you have AV deployed on your client machines, they normally block this to prevent mass mail in case of a clinet infected with a virus.  If you have AV deployed on the clients, may  consider setting this up.

Sukh
    2011년 8월 5일 금요일 오후 9:43

모든 응답

• Hi

You mean from the internal network that users are trying to reach the Exchange server?

Are you using segmented networks?

Are the servers and clients on the same subnet?

Jonas Andersson | Microsoft Community Contributor Award 2011 | MCITP: EMA 2007/2010 | Blog: http://www.testlabs.se/blog | Follow me on twitter: jonand82
    2011년 8월 4일 목요일 오후 12:10
  • You could use the built in windows firewall to do this.
    Dont block port 25 from IP that need to communicate with your servers, such as incoming mail from Internet.

You could also configure the receive connector to make client connections fail. This will not strictly block the traffic only block users from submitting mail over port 25.

lasse at humandata dot se, http://anewmessagehasarrived.blogspot.com
    2011년 8월 4일 목요일 오후 10:11
  • Hi,

yep, both servers and clients in the same subnet. I just wanna forbid internal users from using port 25 to telent exchange server.

Thanks.

2011년 8월 5일 금요일 오전 5:58
  • Hi A.W,

Easy way is that you can create a Group Policy to disable running Telnet.exe on the client computer...

Frank Wang

Forum Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact

2011년 8월 5일 금요일 오전 7:57
    1. Also, if you have AV deployed on your client machines, they normally block this to prevent mass mail in case of a clinet infected with a virus.  If you have AV deployed on the clients, may  consider setting this up.

Sukh
    2011년 8월 5일 금요일 오후 9:43
  • Hi A.W,

Any updates?

2011년 8월 8일 월요일 오전 2:36
  • Hi all,

no updates, thankts for helping.

2011년 8월 23일 화요일 오후 12:38
  • Frank,

You stated that the

"Easy way is that you can create a Group Policy to disable running Telnet.exe on the client computer..."

My question is how? What are the steps and GPO path to make it work in an environment with Windows XP/Vista and Windows 2003 and Windows 2008 R2? How do you use GPO to disable telnet.exe from running on all these machines?

Thanks,

Tee

2012년 1월 30일 월요일 오전 12:59
  • Hi all,

Can I forbid users from using telnet service to connect port 25 on the exchange server?

I understand I won't be able to test smtp via port 25, but I don't want someone else using it against me either.

Thanks.

Why not just allow the IPs needed and include your computer's IP to the list?  Deny your internal network.
    2012년 2월 8일 수요일 오후 8:54