none
Exchange 2010 SP2 multi-tenant with linked mailbox

Pergunta

• Hi there,

We are planning to implement Exchange 2010 SP2 multi-tenant and migrate users mailboxes onto it.  I'm currently looking at the options of:

1. migrate both user accounts  and mailboxes from original forest to the new Exchange forest

2.  create linked mailbox on the new exchange forest and pointint to the user account at our original forest.

Can be setup Exchange 2010 SP2 multi-tenant as resource forest to host only the mailboxes while the user account are still hosted at our original forest?

Can we create linked mailboxes in the mulit-tenant environment and still able to achive the features of Exchange 2010 such as address book policy and archive policy?  From my understanding, user with linked mailbox created will have their account disabled from the Exchange forest.  Hence is this going to cause problems when creating policies in the Exchange environment?

Are we able to initiate move request to move the mailbox from original domain to the new Exchange environment?

Thanks

Winnie

• Editado Winnie Xu quarta-feira, 14 de março de 2012 22:21
    quarta-feira, 14 de março de 2012 22:01

Todas as Respostas

• Hi there,

We are planning to implement Exchange 2010 SP2 multi-tenant and migrate users mailboxes onto it.  I'm currently looking at the options of:

1. migrate both user accounts  and mailboxes from original forest to the new Exchange forest

2.  create linked mailbox on the new exchange forest and pointint to the user account at our original forest.

Can be setup Exchange 2010 SP2 multi-tenant as resource forest to host only the mailboxes while the user account are still hosted at our original forest?

Can we create linked mailboxes in the mulit-tenant environment and still able to achive the features of Exchange 2010 such as address book policy and archive policy?  From my understanding, user with linked mailbox created will have their account disabled from the Exchange forest.  Hence is this going to cause problems when creating policies in the Exchange environment?

Are we able to initiate move request to move the mailbox from original domain to the new Exchange environment?

Thanks

Winnie

quarta-feira, 14 de março de 2012 22:01
  • Hi Winnie,

You should be able to set up your Exchange 2010 SP2 environment in a resource forest type configuration. Exchange 2010 SP2 did away with the traditional off-premises hosted mode of Exchange which had feature limitations. To my knowledge, there are no core feature limitations when setting up Exchange 2010 SP2 as a multi-tenanted environment.

Is your plan to decommission the original domain eventually? Once the user has been migrated to the new domain, you can then convert their mailbox to a non-linked mailbox as per http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb201694.aspx

Regards,

quinta-feira, 15 de março de 2012 05:56
  • We are planning to implement Exchange 2010 SP2 multi-tenant and migrate users mailboxes onto it.  I'm currently looking at the options of:

Hi Winnie,

I'm afraid this is not supported.

What's Not Available in Exchange 2010 SP1 Hosting Mode

Resource forest

Understanding Exchange 2010 Multi-Tenancy

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff923251.aspx

Please also note:

New-AddressBookPolicy is not available in /Hosting mode. It is a feature only for non /Hosting mode deployments.

By the way, please seek the solution in the Exchange 2010 for Hosters forum if you are running in Hosting mode.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchange2010hosters/threads

Frank Wang

TechNet Community Support

sexta-feira, 16 de março de 2012 08:05
  • Hi Frank,

Thanks for your reply.  But in our case we are actually looking at Exchange SP2 multi-tenant not sp1 multi-tenant solution.  I believe the limitations have been resolved in SP2.

Regards

Winnie

domingo, 18 de março de 2012 19:47
  • But in our case we are actually looking at Exchange SP2 multi-tenant not sp1 multi-tenant solution.  I believe the limitations have been resolved in SP2.

Hi Winnie,

/hosting mode will be supported through the standard support lifecycle for Exchange 2010. It will still be available in SP2 and any future service packs or roll-ups. No additional functionality or features will be added to /hosting mode, however, and we don’t recommend using /hosting mode going forward due to its reduced feature set and the fact that it will add complexity to future upgrades.

For more information,please see:

Future of /Hosting Mode

http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2011/10/13/future-of-hosting-mode.aspx

Frank Wang

TechNet Community Support

segunda-feira, 19 de março de 2012 02:54
  • Hi Frank,

we are not looking at using the /hosting mode at all.  We are actually looking at using the Exchange SP2 to achive multi-tenant with normal Exchange installation. 

Thanks for your help.  I will log my question in another forum.

Winnie

• Editado Winnie Xu segunda-feira, 19 de março de 2012 02:57
    segunda-feira, 19 de março de 2012 02:57