none
POP AND IMAP from internet

Întrebare

• Hello All,

1-            My POP3 AND IMAP4 work from internal network, but not from Internet.  It fails to send message while configuring profile.  Any suggestions how to troubleshoot this?

2-           Can POP3 and IMAP4 be used without certificates in exchange 2010? Like it was used to be in Exchange 2003.  I do not want to have a certificate for POP3 AND IMAP4 in my SAN.

tHANKS INA DVANCE.

1 martie 2012 09:50

Răspunsuri

• Thanks for the replies.

Closing thread.........

1-  Port 25 or 587 should be open.

2-  Yes, it is possible by selecting correct Authentication method.

Hope it helps.

• Marcat ca răspuns de Geek Seek 12 martie 2012 19:15
    12 martie 2012 19:15

Toate mesajele

• 1: What is the error message you are getting?
    2: No, You have to just enable the Certs on these to protocols

Gulab Prasad,
    MCITP: Exchange Server 2010 | MCITP: Exchange Server 2007
    MCITP: Lync Server 2010 | MCITP: Windows Server 2008
    My Blog | Z-Hire Employee Provisioning App

1 martie 2012 10:32
  • Thanks for the reply.

1-  General error you get when configuring profile which fails to sends the message and asks you contact ISP or admin.

2-  I am confused.  So, Can I use IMAP and POP without SSL or Certificates or if Certificates are necessary, do I need them in the SAN?

1 martie 2012 10:42
  • Thanks for the reply.

1-  General error you get when configuring profile which fails to sends the message and asks you contact ISP or admin.

2-  I am confused.  So, Can I use IMAP and POP without SSL or Certificates or if Certificates are necessary, do I need them in the SAN?

For issue one, you also need to allow SMTP (typically port 587, authenticated) for your external clients as POP3/IMAP is for receiving only

For issue two, you can disable SSL/TLS requirements. You'll find this on the config for IMAP and POP3 in the Exchange Management Console, however as this exposes plain text passwords over the internet this is not neccessary.

Steve

Steve Goodman
    Check out my Blog for more Exchange info or find me on Twitter

1 martie 2012 13:27
  • Thanks for the reply.

1-  So, you are basically saying that I need to open port 587 on my external firewall? Cannot it work on port 25 from internet?

2-  So, would it not ask for certificate once disabled?

2 martie 2012 09:44
  • Thanks for the reply.  I would appreciate if someone coudl comment on that.  Thanks.
    6 martie 2012 19:27
  • Thanks for the replies.

Closing thread.........

1-  Port 25 or 587 should be open.

2-  Yes, it is possible by selecting correct Authentication method.

Hope it helps.

• Marcat ca răspuns de Geek Seek 12 martie 2012 19:15
    12 martie 2012 19:15