Remove discontinued anti-virus engines

Frage

• How can I remove the discontinued A-V engines from Forefront for SharePoint? Already running SP3.

Thx

Just a Network Administrator in a Developers World
    Montag, 21. Dezember 2009 14:23

Antworten

• Hi,

Thank you for the update.

I’d like to know Which version of the product is the customer running ? As far as I know, on the latest version FSSP 10.3, the retired engines would not show up in the UI as long as they are not in use in the product.

Regards,

Nick Gu - MSFT
    Donnerstag, 24. Dezember 2009 09:40

Alle Antworten

• Hi,

Thank you for the post.

To remove the engine from all antivirus scan jobs

1. Open the Forefront/Antigen Administrator.

2.Under Settings, select Antivirus.

3.Deselect the engine you want to remove under “File Scanners” for each scan job that is listed there.

4.Click the Save button.

Regards,

Nick Gu - MSFT
    Dienstag, 22. Dezember 2009 05:49
  • Thanks for your reply Nick. I have already done as you described and while the discontinued A-V engines are no longer being used for scans they are still showing as an option to be used. I would like to remove them from that list in the Forefront Administrator console for two reasons:

1. I am leaving my company and turning this all over to someone with less experience than I have and I want to keep things as simple as possible for that person. If those option exist in the console what is to keep him from trying to use them if he doesn't know any better?

2. I already get a couple of hundred emails a day and by nature I have to look at anything that comes through my mailbox from Forefront (as well as a couple of other tools). Because the discontinued engines still exist in the application I get two emails each day telling me that they are no longer supported. You know what? I already know that and really don't need to be continually reminded. I would think that if MS is going to discontinue the use of the engines they would put out an update to the application that removes those entries.

Now as I mentioned I am leaving so that really isn't an issue here but what about when I get to my next SharePoint job? If MS can't come up with a way to better manage this kind of thing I would definitely be inclined to at least consider going with another product.

Thanks.
    Dienstag, 22. Dezember 2009 14:22
  • Hi,

Thank you for the update.

I’d like to know Which version of the product is the customer running ? As far as I know, on the latest version FSSP 10.3, the retired engines would not show up in the UI as long as they are not in use in the product.

Regards,

Nick Gu - MSFT
    Donnerstag, 24. Dezember 2009 09:40
  • That might explain it. We are running 10.2.0942 SP3 I'll see what we can do about getting it upgraded. Thank you for your help and have a merry Christmas
    Donnerstag, 24. Dezember 2009 14:04