none
Hardware load balance 2 TMG Standard servers (no array) - possible?

Question

• Hello all,

Is this possible - hardware load balance 2 TMG Standard (not Enterprise) servers (providing OWA, Outlook Anywhere and Active Sync) for redundancy.

There would be no TMG array this way, and I would have to manually keep the configs in sync - but would it work?

A related questions - Can I in-place upgrade my existing TMG Standard to TMG Enterprise and keep the configs and function working.

Trying to minimize the downtime / issues going from a single TMG server to 2 redundant TMG servers.

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 3:04 PM

Answers

• Hi,

you can use the Export/Import functionality of TMG to manually sync the TMG configuration and it is also possible to create a export/Import script and to schedule this with the Task planner.

And yes, it is possible to upgrade TMG Standard to Enterprise without a new installation. Start the TG MMC go to the System  Servers node and enter the TMG Enterprise Serial number. After that create a TMG Standalone Array for example

regards Marc Grote aka Jens Baier - www.it-training-grote.de - www.forefront-tmg.de - www.nt-faq.de

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 5:23 PM

All replies

• Hi,

you can use the Export/Import functionality of TMG to manually sync the TMG configuration and it is also possible to create a export/Import script and to schedule this with the Task planner.

And yes, it is possible to upgrade TMG Standard to Enterprise without a new installation. Start the TG MMC go to the System  Servers node and enter the TMG Enterprise Serial number. After that create a TMG Standalone Array for example

regards Marc Grote aka Jens Baier - www.it-training-grote.de - www.forefront-tmg.de - www.nt-faq.de

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 5:23 PM
  • If you have a HLB and two TMG 2010 Standard servers, and one node in the HLB group fails, will the client lose there session or have to re-authenticate? 
    Wednesday, April 11, 2012 4:04 PM
  • That would depend on the configuration of the load balancer and if it is front-ending the authentication. The TMG servers do not share authentication of current session with each other to my knowledge. The hardware load balancers can be configured to mirror connections so that the failover would be seamless from a connectivity perspective but not at the authentication layer without additional technology. If you are using F5 LTM then you should take a look at APM. 
    Friday, April 20, 2012 6:30 PM