SP1 upgrade of EMS: points to wrong configuration storage server

Question

• When I start TMG SP1 upgrade of EMS it points the configuration storage server to the first array member, and of course cannot connect. The selection cannot be changed as it is greyed out. Only option is to cancel.

In TMG MMC configuration storage server is EMS.

The setup is healthy and has been running fine for more than 6 months.

Ole Thomsen

Saturday, August 28, 2010 6:23 PM

Answers

All replies

• I might add that SP1 setup on array servers points correctly to EMS.

Ole Thomsen

Saturday, August 28, 2010 6:38 PM
  • Can you let me know the Status of ISASTGCTRL Service on all Array Members and also on EMS?
    Sunday, August 29, 2010 2:32 AM
  • @Junaid

ISASTGCTRL service is disabled on array members, running on EMS.

Ole Thomsen

Sunday, August 29, 2010 5:49 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for the post.

To upgrade TMG, you may following this article and see if it helps: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff717843.aspx

Regards,

Nick Gu - MSFT
    Wednesday, September 01, 2010 7:07 AM
  • @Nick

I did follow the install guide.

Which part do you consider relevant for my problem?

Ole Thomsen

Thursday, September 02, 2010 5:08 AM
  • Hello Oletho,

Was the first array member ever an EMS for the TMG Enterprise (backup EMS, perhaps)? If not, could you run the SP1 installation on the EMS server again and provide the output from the Setup log(s).

Mohit Kumar [MSFT]| Sr. Support Escalation Engineer| CSS Security
    Wednesday, September 08, 2010 8:14 PM
  • @Mohit

No, the install sequence was servername TMG (EMS) then array members TMG1 and TMG2.

SP1 does not get as far as to write to the logs, at least not \windows\temp\isaxxx.log - I did not find any other logfile regarding TMG setup.

But I found something interesting in the setup logs from the initial install. It seems that at first the server was named TMG1 (same name as later installed array member), and at some point changed to TMG.

Now searching registry for TMG1 one hit was interesting. HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fpc\ADAMStorageServer had a value of tmg1.our.domain

After changing that to tmg.our.domain the SP1 install correctly suggests EMS as configuration storage.

I cannot finish the SP1 install as our service window is during the upcoming weekend. I cross my fingers that this single registry entry will do the trick.

Any advice is welcome.

Ole Thomsen

Thursday, September 09, 2010 6:19 AM
  • Hi Ole,

Good catch! Please keep us posted.

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 10:15 PM
  • I upgraded the array saturday and saw no problems, so far everything seems fine :-)

Thanks,

Ole Thomsen

Wednesday, September 15, 2010 3:52 AM
  • Good to hear that, thanks for the update!
    Wednesday, September 15, 2010 8:40 PM