How to solve problem with long login times

Question

• Good morning everybody,

Recently we deployed Forefront TMG as a reverse proxy publishing OWA 2010.  Some of our users have reported that from time to time the login is taking over 30 seconds.  Most of the time it is about 6 seconds.  Anyway, I'm trying to think of ways that I can collect some data and analyze it to identify where we're slow and why.

I was thinking that it would be really cool if there was to keep track of the time that certain events occur for a given session.  For example:

• User requests TMG login form
    • User posts to form with username/password
    • TMG sends LDAP authentication request to our LDAP server
    • LDAP server responds
    • TMG sends HTTP Get to the CAS server
    • CAS server responds
    • TMG proxies the CAS response to the client
    I'd like to get the time between each event and the total time for the whole flow.  I'd need a way to correlate each of the above events to a specific session.  I haven't seen anything like a transaction ID or session ID in the TMG logging fields.

What tools/options are available to go about collecting this type of information?  Is there something out of the box?  Maybe there's an API I can use if there's no out of the box solution?

Also, I'm interested to hear what other folks would do to solve the same problem.

Thanks for your time I really appreciate it.

Michael

Wednesday, September 29, 2010 4:56 PM

Answers