none
Omron BP791IT - Do drivers for this device actually exist?

Question

• I haven't been able to find ANY drivers for this device to get it to work with HealthVault, even though it is advertised as such. The drivers that the manufacturer provide only work with completely different models.
    Friday, November 01, 2013 7:36 PM

Answers

• Hi everyone,

I heard from Omron today:

From Omron Healthcare, we would like to assist you with the issues you are having related to using your Omron blood pressure monitor with Microsoft Healthvault.  Even though you may have talked with Omron before; we ask that you please contact us again so that we can assist to fully resolve the

issues you are having.  Please contact us at:   1-866.216.1333 and ask for

Glenna, who is the supervisor of our customer assistance team.

Thanks

Tomas

MS HealthVault Support

Thursday, June 19, 2014 11:55 PM
  • Hi everyone,

From Omron Healthcare, we would like to assist you with the issues you are having related to using your Omron blood pressure monitor with Microsoft Healthvault.  Even though you may have talked with Omron before; we ask that you please contact us again so that we can assist to fully resolve the

Thanks

Tomas

MS HealthVault Support

Thursday, June 19, 2014 11:54 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I have escalated your concern but also wanted to verify one more thing.  Have you tried installing the driver from this location: http://www.omronhealthcare.com/wpcontent/uploads/OmronHVDriver-x64.msi
    If not can you please try and let us know the results?

thanks

Tomas

MS
    HealthVault Support

Saturday, November 02, 2013 12:36 AM
  • Did you ever find the correct driver for the BP791IT?

If you have found it, I would appreciate your pointing me to it.

Thanks.

Wednesday, November 06, 2013 8:06 PM
  • Hello,

I apologize for the delay in getting back with you.  We have contacted Omron about this issue and we understand your concern.  I have heard from other customers that their issues were resolved by going to this location instead http://www.omronhealthcare.com/wp-content/uploads/OmronHVDriverBP791-x64.msi 

Can you please try this and let us know if it works for you?

thanks

Tomas

MS HealthVault Support

Thursday, November 07, 2013 5:25 PM
  • I have tried that driver. HVCC sees the device but just says "To upload, connect your device". Unplugging and plugging back in does nothing. Removing everything from my PC (HVCC, Omron drivers for healthvault, the portable device and it's drivers from device manager) and reinstalling as per all manner of posted methods yields the same result.
    At one point I installed the Omron program just to see if it could communicate with the unit, and it did. I then uninstalled that program and uninstalled and reinstalled HVCC, etc.; still nothing.

Alan

Saturday, November 09, 2013 3:00 PM
  • I have tried that driver. HVCC sees the device but just says "To upload, connect your device". Unplugging and plugging back in does nothing. Removing everything from my PC (HVCC, Omron drivers for healthvault, the portable device and it's drivers from device manager) and reinstalling as per all manner of posted methods yields the same result.
    At one point I installed the Omron program just to see if it could communicate with the unit, and it did. I then uninstalled that program and uninstalled and reinstalled HVCC, etc.; still nothing.

Alan

Yep, that's where I'm at too now =( I've uninstalled, rolled back from Windows Restore, then reinstalled everything (HVCC and correct driver), but no dice.
    Friday, November 15, 2013 11:05 PM
  • The driver installs, and it shows in HealthVault, but it still won't upload any data. It just leaves me with a "To upload, connect your device" screen.

When I connected the device, I will say the only drivers it found were the generic "HID-compliant Device" drivers. I tried to manually update the drivers to those installed from "C:\Program Files\Omron HealthVault Driver", but my system simply says "The folder you specified doesn't contain a compatible software driver for your device."

I highly doubt their driver team knows what the hell they're doing at this point... It's extremely frustrating that this is advertised as "HealthVault Compatible" when it clearly IS NOT.

Saturday, December 07, 2013 11:31 PM
  • No suggestions for how to get this thing to work? =(
    Sunday, January 05, 2014 11:15 PM

Alan

That's exactly what's happening to me—works fine with Omron Health Management Software, Health Vault Connection Center just sits there telling me to connect it, regardless of how many times and ways I do that.

What is so puzzling is that the recommended driver, etc, does seem to work with HealthVault for some people, as Amazon reviews show. Others say it works with neither OHMS nor HV. Reviewers have returned their devices, and the replacements did exactly the same thing, so it doesn't seem to be caused by hardware sample defects.

It is VERY FRUSTRATING!

Monday, January 06, 2014 5:45 PM
  • I sincerely hope somebody at Microsoft is monitoring this thread. Omron is insisting that all ongoing problems are Microsoft's, not theirs. I'm convinced that's not true, but they won't listen to me. Maybe they'll listen to MS and get back to work on their defective HV driver.

I tried setting up my BP791IT with HealthVault on a different computer, and it worked without a hitch. On both computers, I tried to set up HealthVault before installing the Omron Health Management Software (which works fine on both computers).

On my desktop (the first one I tried) everything seemed to be going well—HVCC installed correctly, detected the Omron BP791IT connected to a USB port, loaded the Omron driver, etc—but when it came time to upload data from the BP791IT it just sat there telling me to connect it; no amount of connecting/disconnecting/trying USB2/USB3 ports, etc, caused HVCC to see that there was a BP791IT connected to the PC anywhere.

I followed exactly the same procedure on my laptop, and it works great.

Both PCs are running W7-64 Pro, and they have practically all the same software, Internet security, etc installed on them. In fact, the desktop started life as an exact clone of the slightly older laptop, but that was three years ago. The (I think) significant difference is that the laptop has an Intel CPU and the desktop has an AMD. What I think is that Omron's driver has some hardware dependencies that are not yet compatible with AMD's USB implementation.

If I had any clout with Omron (but I'm only a customer!), I'd tell them to get their HV driver to work with AMD hardware. Maybe if someone at MS tells them that they'll listen.

• Edited by jm14620 Monday, January 06, 2014 10:18 PM
    Monday, January 06, 2014 10:17 PM
  • Unfortunately, I don't think AMD vs Intel is the problem in this case; my desktop (Intel CPU) still won't upload. =(

Edited to add:

Oh man, I dusted off my old laptop because of your post, jm14620, booted it up, and installed the drivers and it worked! It appears the Omron device gets along with SOME chipsets but not others. Curious.

Tuesday, January 14, 2014 9:46 PM
  • My experience is somewhat similar. I own an Omron pedometer (HJ-720ITC) which refuses to work on my 64bit PC (Windows 8.1 Pro) but works with my 32bit tablet, whereas my M10-IT blood pressure monitor works like a charm on my PC (and on my tablet as well). Omron are referring to Microsoft for support, but I think they're basically walking away from something which is their responsability. Oh, the Omron software worked for both pedometer and BPM on my PC, so Omron CAN get things to communicate, apparently.
    Tuesday, February 18, 2014 11:47 PM
  • Hello JM,

I am  from the Microsoft HealthVault support team, and I wanted to let you know that we have contacted Omron and their engineers are investigating this issue.  Once I hear new updates I will let you know.

Thanks for your patience

Tomas

MS HealthVault Support

Tuesday, March 11, 2014 7:57 PM
  • Hello JM,

I am  from the Microsoft HealthVault support team, and I wanted to let you know that we have contacted Omron and their engineers are investigating this issue.  Once I hear new updates I will let you know.

Thanks for your patience

Tomas

MS HealthVault Support

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! MAYBE Omron will do something this time!

I agree with others now that it is not ONLY an AMD vs Intel problem. I tried it also on a Lenovo laptop running W7-64 on an Intel Core i5, and HVCC initially sees the Omron device to load the driver, but once the driver's loaded the Omron device disappears.

So that exact same failure happens on a Lenovo Intel laptop and on a custom-built AMD desktop, but NOT on an HP Intel laptop - ALL running 64-bit Windows 7. It works as it should ONLY on that W7-64 HP Intel laptop and on an eMachines 32-bit Windows XP Intel Atom netbook. Unfortunately for me, the AMD desktop is the PC on which I do everything, including HealthVault.

I can see why Omron wants to deny this problem, because it will be challenging to isolate the cause, and all they REALLY care about is selling their products. Customer support clearly is NOT a high priority for them. But at least the problem in NOT intermittent, in my experience. Their HV driver ALWAYS fails on some PC hardware and NEVER fails on others, so the only real challenge is finding what hardware configurations it fails on and fixing it. It's certainly doable, if they will just do it.

The drivers they use in their own Health Management Software work on every PC I have, so they know how to do it - there's some defect ONLY in their HV driver. My guess is that they contracted some outside source to develop the HV driver and they don't really know it and don't want to have to pay to get it fixed. But if they're going to keep pushing this BP monitor based on its HV compatibility, it's going to come back and bite them eventually if they don't, either in lost sales or government regulation.

I don't know if home BP monitors come under the FDA's medical device regulations, but if they do, Omron could be looking at an FDA shutdown for making claims the device doesn't perform. Or the FTC could see it as false advertising if Omron keeps advertising a feature they know doesn't work but refuse to fix.

Tuesday, March 11, 2014 9:06 PM
  • So, a few months later, any update on this?

I just bought the Omron and it is so frustrating that I cannot get it to link to my HealthVault account.

Razvan Neagu

Saturday, May 24, 2014 7:36 PM
  • Hello Razvan,

Several other customers have had success by contacting Omron directly.  I am trying to get a direct contact for you.  Sorry for the delay.  I will reply to the post once I have more information.

I would start here:

http://omronhealthcare.com/service-and-support/product-support-and-solutions/

thanks

Tomas

MS HealthVault Support

Friday, June 06, 2014 8:06 PM
  • PLEASE don't close this thread!

I don't know what "other customers" told you Omron has the answer, but they still DO NOT have the answer to this problem. I ran the Omron support gauntlet yet again, and their HealthNet driver STILL does not work on two out of three of my Win7-64 PCs, one AMD and one Intel.

If Microsoft lets Omron off the hook so easily, they will NEVER fix their driver, because they do not listen to their customers.

Friday, June 06, 2014 8:29 PM
  • Seconded. Omron are being less than helpful here.
    Friday, June 06, 2014 8:31 PM
  • I recently got an Asus tablet running Windows 8.1 (not RT), and the Omron driver for HV works on it.

Here's a summary of my experiences so far with the Omron BP791IT on various PCs with both Omron's own Health Management Software (HMS) and Omron's HealthVault driver in HV Connection Center (I don't see a way to make a table here, so I hope this comes out legibly):

PC                       CPU              OS        HMS works?  HVCC works?

self-built desktop  AMD 1090T   W7-64     YES              NO

HP laptop             Intel T3400   W7-64     YES              YES

eMachines netbk  Intel N27       XP-32      YES              YES

Lenovo laptop      Intel M520     W7-64     YES              NO

Asus tablet          Intel Z2760    W8.1-32  YES              YES

The failure mode is always the same: HVCC correctly sees that I have plugged in an Omron BP791IT, and it successfully downloads and installs the driver. Once the driver has been installed, it no longer sees that any recognizable device is plugged into the USB port, no matter how many ways I try plugging it in or what USB port I use. It sees the BP791IT ONLY when the Omron HV driver has not yet been installed.

On every PC I have, including the two PCs where HVCC fails, Omron's Health Management Software always connects to the BP791IT and uploads the data successfully, using the same BP791IT, the same Omron-supplied USB cable and the same USB port on the PC. There's nothing intermittent here; where it works it always works, and where it doesn't it always doesn't.

Since the BP791IT communicates successfully with Omron's Health Management Software on all of my PCs, using all the same external hardware, how can this be a problem with anything except their HealthVault driver?

• Edited by jm14620 Friday, June 06, 2014 11:12 PM correct "table" format
    Friday, June 06, 2014 10:56 PM
  • Thank you for taking the time to test this. Until now I was assuming a relationship between OS architecture (32bit vs 64bit) and HVCC functioning, but your HP laptop seems to disprove that theory (I'm only testing on Windows 8 though). I can add the following to your matrix:

Acer PC       Intel Q6600     W8.1-64     YES     NO

Acer PC       Intel Q8300     W8.1-64     YES     NO

Acer W500  AMD C50          W8.1-32     YES     YES

Acer W510  Intel Z2760      W8.1-32     YES     YES

Acer W3      Intel Z2760     W8.1-32     YES     YES    

Saturday, June 07, 2014 12:41 PM
  • I keep wanting it to be a simple 32-/64-bit problem, so I keep checking to make absolutely sure my HP laptop really is 64-bit, and it still is every time I look.

If Omron were even slightly responsive to our problem I might sympathize with them, but they're just too arrogant to feel sorry for. Other manufacturers solve problems like this all the time, and do it before they release a product (I have NEVER had failures like this with any other software product), so Omron could fix it if they were just willing to. It's really hard to understand why they don't. The only explanation I can think of is that they already have our money.

I really do like the blood pressure monitor a lot, but I despise Omron for their arrogant indifference to this HealthVault problem.

Saturday, June 07, 2014 1:00 PM
  • Hi everyone,

Thanks

Tomas

MS HealthVault Support

Thursday, June 19, 2014 11:54 PM
  • Hi everyone,

Thanks

Tomas

MS HealthVault Support

Thursday, June 19, 2014 11:55 PM
  • In order to keep all relevant information available and together, can we have reports of what happens next (after calling)? That way if there are solutions available other people may benefit as well.
    Friday, June 20, 2014 9:29 AM
  • In order to keep all relevant information available and together, can we have reports of what happens next (after calling)? That way if there are solutions available other people may benefit as well.

I agree. Just having a name and phone number doesn't solve the problem. The problem will be solved when the driver works.

This may be all Microsoft can do directly, but leaving this thread open for us to report our results will be a great service to others who come looking for a solution to the same problem.

Friday, June 20, 2014 9:38 AM
  • HI JM,

That is a great idea, I will leave this one open for now and then any of us are free to update with what we have found out. And yes, you are correct that at this time we, at MS, do not have any further information.

Tomas

MS HealthVault Support

Tuesday, July 01, 2014 2:11 AM
  • Has anyone found out from Glenna at Omron how to get their HealthVault driver to work with Connection Center on all PC platforms? I'm unable to use a telephone, so I'm hoping someone who can will get the information from her and share it here.

Thanks.

Jim

Thursday, August 07, 2014 10:59 PM
  • I tried calling Glenna, she "was in a meeting" and "would call you back". Kinda still waiting for that to happen.
    Wednesday, August 20, 2014 12:28 PM
  • Thanks very much for the update.
    Wednesday, August 20, 2014 1:22 PM