Error Code: 500 Internal Server Error. (-1073479663)

Question

• Hello, recently all our clients are getting this error when browsing website through our forefront tmg gateway.

Error Code: 500 Internal Server Error. (-1073479663)

We tried google.com, yahoo.com, our website, website from our intranet, etc.  and this error message just kept popup randomly.

If i modified the hosts file in the windows/system32/drivers/etc directory to manually set the IPs to the web server, then it seems fine.

Not sure if DNS server is also related to this problem but can not find anything about it.

Your help is appreciated, thank you.

Leon

Sunday, June 27, 2010 4:49 AM

Answers

• Need more information.

1. Are the webproxy clients or securenat or Firewall client?
    2. Do you have an array?
    3. NLB? Unicast?
    4. What resolves the issue?
    5. Is it at all clients, all at once or random?

You say HOST File works, which points that these are securenat and if it works, I suggest lets take an HTTPWatch & a netmon on client and a netmon on the TMG with manually pointing the server as proxy in IE. It should tell you the point of faliure. This procedure shall help: (Remove the host entries before you try this)

1. Install Netmon (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=983b941d-06cb-4658-b7f6-3088333d062f) on your client and the TMG Server.
    2. Clean the IE Cache (cookies, temp files etc) and close all IE windows
    3. Set the TMG to capture all traffic in live logging.
    4. Clean TMG Cache, disable it temproarily if possible.
    5. Open Netmon on the client & TMG, select all interfaces and start the capture on both.
    6. Open IE after you have initiated the capture and start recording HTTPWatch.
    7. Try to access a HTTP website. Try by name and IP. (IP of yahoo.com is 209.191.122.70).
    8. Try to access googel.com. Search for something.
    9. Stop the traces and logging on TMG and Clilent.

Now, follow the TCP streams from your client to the TMG, right from the handshake for proxy and see where it fails. Cpmpare the stream with the internal and external NIC of TMG. Live logging will help you understand it better.

Also, please update the NIC drivers of the TMG Server. Try disabling all offloads and RSS from NIC and use "netsh tcp set global disable" command to disable the features from netsh.

You may also need to check the winsock at the time of the issue.

Regards, Amit Saxena. Keep Walking!
    Sunday, June 27, 2010 7:32 AM

All replies

• Need more information.

1. Are the webproxy clients or securenat or Firewall client?
    2. Do you have an array?
    3. NLB? Unicast?
    4. What resolves the issue?
    5. Is it at all clients, all at once or random?

You say HOST File works, which points that these are securenat and if it works, I suggest lets take an HTTPWatch & a netmon on client and a netmon on the TMG with manually pointing the server as proxy in IE. It should tell you the point of faliure. This procedure shall help: (Remove the host entries before you try this)

1. Install Netmon (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=983b941d-06cb-4658-b7f6-3088333d062f) on your client and the TMG Server.
    2. Clean the IE Cache (cookies, temp files etc) and close all IE windows
    3. Set the TMG to capture all traffic in live logging.
    4. Clean TMG Cache, disable it temproarily if possible.
    5. Open Netmon on the client & TMG, select all interfaces and start the capture on both.
    6. Open IE after you have initiated the capture and start recording HTTPWatch.
    7. Try to access a HTTP website. Try by name and IP. (IP of yahoo.com is 209.191.122.70).
    8. Try to access googel.com. Search for something.
    9. Stop the traces and logging on TMG and Clilent.

Now, follow the TCP streams from your client to the TMG, right from the handshake for proxy and see where it fails. Cpmpare the stream with the internal and external NIC of TMG. Live logging will help you understand it better.

Also, please update the NIC drivers of the TMG Server. Try disabling all offloads and RSS from NIC and use "netsh tcp set global disable" command to disable the features from netsh.

You may also need to check the winsock at the time of the issue.

Regards, Amit Saxena. Keep Walking!
    Sunday, June 27, 2010 7:32 AM
  • leon85321 did you ever resolve this problem as we seem to be experiencing the same kind of problems, although only intermittently
    Thursday, July 22, 2010 9:56 AM
  • I have the exact same problem with TMG 2010 and am unable to resolve it. It randomly throws out Error Code: 500 Internal Server Error. (-1073479663) and the page won't open till I refresh it for the next 10-20 seconds. I tried monitoring HTTP traffic and the only traffic that gets logged for the erroneous page is the browser to TMG request and TMG's error page reply. TMG doesn't even appear to make a request to the website. The logs show nothing at all, not even the request from the client.

Previously it was random, but today it occurs for almost 90% of all pages and even the published websites have stopped working with the same error. For published sites the error sometimes says The Parameter is incorrect (87), but mostly the error I first mentioned.

It happens for all clients, Firewall Client, SecureNAT and even on the TMG host.

Wednesday, September 08, 2010 8:08 AM
  • Kurian, is the TMG server backlogging alot of packets when it's doing this?

In our case it seems that there's a bug with TMG where it tries sending alot of RPC traffic to a machine on the internal network which ends up exhausting all the available ports causing TMG to backlog packets & affect web browsing until we restart the firewall service.

We currently have an open case with MS & are awaiting a patch.

Wednesday, September 08, 2010 8:12 AM
  • _penguin, were you able to resolve this issue? I am having the same problem. An answer would be very helpful for me.
    Saturday, September 18, 2010 7:45 AM
  • jp_12345 not yet we've had a support ticket opened with MS for a while now & they were working on a fix.

Yesterday we received a private unofficial test fix, but it's too early to tell if it has fixed the problem yet or not. As in our situation it can not occur for up to a week at a time then start happening.

I'd say your best bet is to open a support ticket as I'm not sure if this patch works or if/when it'll be released

• Proposed as answer by Dennis de Roo Wednesday, October 27, 2010 12:07 PM
    Saturday, September 18, 2010 2:19 PM
  • We also got this error. Im getting tired of restarting the TMG server so I realy hope the fix works for you ...
    PB
    Wednesday, October 13, 2010 9:42 AM
  • Hi Everyone!

Any luck with this? I've deployed a TMG2010 recently and we are getting the dreaded internal server error quite frequently... the error code is the same ("Error Code: 500 Internal Server Error. (-1073479663)).

Any clues on what might be causing this? Just waiting for a patch is kinda sorry excuse to give to a client, specially after we praised TMG so much...

Cheers,

Helder

Thursday, October 21, 2010 6:09 PM
  • Hi _penguin,

do you know if the test fix was succesfully? And if so when microsoft will release this fix?

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 12:08 PM
  • Hi Everybody,

we are facing the problem aswell, increasingly. It did not happen for long time after the installation, but now it happens quite frequently. The effect we are observing is the same as described here earlier, 20 seconds no change but Internal Server Error, then the error is gone as quickly as it appeared.

I'll check on answers on Monday and in case nobody has picked this up I'll also open a ticket with a reference to this thread.

C.

Saturday, October 30, 2010 8:45 PM