Every client is orange with an explanation point

Question

•  

I have been on vacation. When I returned, every client on my network has an orange box with an exclamation point.

When I open the client, it tells me that the last update received was on 3/16. It also tells me to check for new updates. When I do that manually, it tells me there are no new updates. When I check my WSUS server, it tells me that the last sucessful sync was this morning at 1:00am which is when it's supposed to be. All the updates are there, on the server.

I am also receiving the auto emails that are generated when WSUS downloads new updates. The FF security updates and definitions ARE being downloaded to WSUS but for some reason the clients are not receiving them.

I have checked all the obvious network type things but there is no problem with access to the Forefront/Wsus server.

I'm unsure what to do next to continue to troubleshoot. Suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Sharyn

Wednesday, April 09, 2008 12:06 PM

All replies

•  

I ran the FF troubleshooting tool and I am getting this error...could this have something to do with the fact that nothing is being downloaded on the clients? Nothing has changed in my setup!!!

Error         81     4/9/2008 1:15:03 AM     DataTransformatio FF01            None            N/A                  Error Source: Microsoft Data Transformation Services (DTS) Package Error DescriptionStick out tongueackage failed because Step 'DTSStep_DTSExecuteSQLTask_2' failed. Error code: 80040428 \Error Help FileTongue Tiedqldts80.hlp Error Help Context ID:700   Package Name: Microsoft Forefront Client Security Package Description: Microsoft Forefront Client Security DTS Package ID: {4589F8C7-17D3-4A87-BB5B-0DBF47B6D00A} Package Version: {E78FCF7A-5C4F-4740-BD9A-C91FF6A07BFA} Package Execution Lineage: {D9E8F34B-F6CC-4028-ACBB-79F280C5A15A} Executed On: FF01 Executed By: SYSTEM Execution Started: 4/9/2008 1:15:03 AM Execution Completed: 4/9/2008 1:15:03 AM Total Execution Time: 0.172 seconds  Package Steps execution information:   Step 'DTSStep_DTSTransferObjectsTask_1' was not executed  Step 'DTSStep_DTSTransferObjectsTask_3' was not executed  Step 'DTSStep_DTSExecuteSQLTask_1' was not executed  Step 'DTSStep_DTSDynamicPropertiesTask_1' succeeded Step Execution Started: 4/9/2008 1:15:03 AM Step Execution Completed: 4/9/2008 1:15:03 AM Total Step Execution Time: 0.047 seconds Progress count in Step: 0  Step 'DTSStep_DTSExecuteSQLTask_2' failed  Step Error Source: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server Step Error Description:Cannot open database "SystemCenterReporting" requested by the login. The login failed. Step Error code: 80004005 Step Error Help File: Step Error Help Context ID:0  Step Execution Started: 4/9/2008 1:15:03 AM Step Execution Completed: 4/9/2008 1:15:03 AM Total Step Execution Time: 0.031 seconds Progress count in Step: 0  Step 'DTSStep_DTSExecuteSQLTask_3' was not executed
     Audit Failure 18456  4/9/2008 1:15:03 AM     MSSQLSERVER       FF01            Logon           NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM  Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM'. [CLIENT: 192.168.101.248]
     Error         364    4/9/2008 1:12:36 AM     Windows Server Up FF01            Synchronization N/A                  Content file download failed. Reason: The client does not have sufficient access rights to the requested server object.  Source File: /msdownload/update/software/crup/2008/03/windows6.0-kb938371-v2-x86_644580e132dcd6591bbbe6afe4fc270849678331.cab Destination File: e:\WSUS\WsusContent\31\644580E132DCD6591BBBE6AFE4FC270849678331.cab.

Wednesday, April 09, 2008 12:48 PM
  •  Make sure you have enabled Microsoft Update, not just Windows Update!! We have Forefront without MOM support installed on our client image. We had the yellow exclamation system tray icon on all our laptops. Its pretty disappointing, but apparently Forefront requires having Microsoft Update in order to get its definition updates!!!!
    After you get Microsoft Update, open Forefront and click 'Check for Updates' one more time.  It should work properly and give you a nice green check in the system tray ;)

To enable Microsoft Update:

For XP: On the client, go to http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-US and accept whever agreements needed to get Microsoft Update.

For Vista: Open Windows Update. Notice in the middle of the window it says "You receive updates:" If this says "For Windows Only," click the yellow boxed link which says something like "get updates for more products." Accept the agreement and you'll apply Microsoft Update.

If it says "For Windows and other products from Microsoft Update," you have already applied Microsoft Update.
    • Proposed as answer by jtherrell Thursday, July 31, 2008 11:41 PM
    Thursday, July 31, 2008 11:41 PM
  •  Make sure you have enabled Microsoft Update, not just Windows Update!! We have Forefront without MOM support installed on our client image. We had the yellow exclamation system tray icon on all our laptops. Its pretty disappointing, but apparently Forefront requires having Microsoft Update in order to get its definition updates!!!!
    After you get Microsoft Update, open Forefront and click 'Check for Updates' one more time.  It should work properly and give you a nice green check in the system tray ;)

To enable Microsoft Update:

For XP: On the client, go to http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-US and accept whever agreements needed to get Microsoft Update.

For Vista: Open Windows Update. Notice in the middle of the window it says "You receive updates:" If this says "For Windows Only," click the yellow boxed link which says something like "get updates for more products." Accept the agreement and you'll apply Microsoft Update.

If it says "For Windows and other products from Microsoft Update," you have already applied Microsoft Update.

Awesome.  Thank you.
    Friday, June 25, 2010 8:36 PM
  • That might cover the update part, the other event ID 81 is not part of that. Your DTS job is failing which could mean a few things. If you are using Server 2008 for your deployment, this might help, this explains adding the /maxconn:5 switch to your scheduled task which might fail in 2008:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/clientsecurity/archive/2010/04/28/event-id-81-and-fcs.aspx

There is also another issue that could be taking place, instead of typing it out, reference this link:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/Forefrontclientgeneral/thread/0e04b627-09e5-40d5-a15f-1e8fef944d88/

Hope this helps.

• Proposed as answer by Boozo_one Thursday, September 23, 2010 7:32 PM
    Saturday, July 17, 2010 1:27 AM
  • You can check this link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938054 .

Symptom 2

In the notification area, the Forefront Client Security icon becomes orange to indicate that an issue has occurred. When you open the Forefront Client Security client to view the issue, the client incorrectly reports that a product update is available for the Forefront Client Security client. A product update is not available.

Note In this scenario, the new product update notification differs from the new definition update notification.

That should help you out.

Regards,

Thursday, September 23, 2010 7:36 PM