none
TMG Reporting Failure

Question

• Hi,

I have an array TMG setup with my first TMG server as the reporting server. When I run a report from the EMS server for a specific user and date I get the following error.

ForeFront TMG Error|
    The Operation Failed
    The Microsoft Forefront TMG Control service could not be accessed.

The error occurred on object 'Reports' of class 'Reports Configuration' in the scope of array 'TMG Array'.

Any ideas why I would be getting this? If I run a normal One time report it all works fine.

Tuesday, January 04, 2011 3:39 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi !

Try to install latest update for TMG 2010 and if you possible give us more detailed.

For now try this.

Software Update 1 for Microsoft Forefront Threat Management Gateway (TMG) 2010 Service Pack 1

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=695d0709-0d8b-45ee-afdb-727c4428ca4d

and install only this update if you recognize that have this problem

Software Update 1 - Rollup 2 - for Forefront TMG SP1 now available

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2475183

Tuesday, January 04, 2011 8:59 AM
  • Its not a SP or update issue. There is a problem/bug with the program.

I have it working 100% in my dev enviroment with no problems but in production I just can't get this one report to work. Very weird and frustrating.

Friday, January 07, 2011 3:18 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for the post.

Would you please tell us the version of TMG 2010(English?) – RTM, Service Pack 1 or Update 1 to Service Pack 1?

Regards,

Nick Gu - MSFT
    Friday, January 07, 2011 5:34 AM
  • Has anyone been able to figure this out?

My EMS server was able to generate User Activity Reports last week, and now it generates the said error. I am updated to the latest Service Pack 1 Update for EMS and both Firewall nodes. All reports generate as expected when run from the Firewall nodes.

Help.

Frank Mbanusi
    Tuesday, May 24, 2011 8:11 PM
  • This doesn't work on my TMG 2010 with SP1; SP1 Update 1; Rollup 4. Still a problem.

Forefront TMG Error: The operation failed.

Error: 0xc00403ec

The error occurred on object 'Reports' of class 'Reports Configuration' in the scope of array <server>.

Tuesday, October 04, 2011 1:50 PM
  • This problem exist for many folks still. Can i ask the moderator why the post fromAhmet Abdagic is suggested/marked as answer, whereas it clearly shows this problem is not solved with the suggestion ofAhmet Abdagic.

In my case i have a TMG with SP2 the reports not working is still an issues. it worked from the day i installed TMG and even after  i had SP1 and all the updates. It has been broken after 2 months of successful reporting. Currently my error message is the same as what richard_artes wrote.

Sarbjit Gill
    Monday, December 26, 2011 2:28 AM
  • Yep, we are seeing the broken behaviour too; running site activity reports OR user activity reports.

1 x EMS Server
    2 x Front End Proxies in the enterprise Array
    All three boxes are running TMG 2010 SP2 (build 7.0.9193.500)

The exact message when attempting to run the reports is:-

The Operation Failed
    The error occurred on object 'Reports' of class 'Reports Configuration' in the scope of array 'Proxy-Array'.

Doesn't matter where we run the report from it always fails after arount 20-30 seconds.

We previously had the timeout issue when running user reports, but this was fixed with the registry key hack "RS_SOAP_CLIENT_TIMEOUT_IN_MILLISECONDS" This key still exists but that was specifically for the timeout issue.

Anyone any ideas? There is very little on the internet (nothing!) about this issue other than this thread. Any news on any Update Rollups Post SP2?

Thursday, December 29, 2011 5:03 PM
  • Had a similar issue and getting error:-

The error occurred on object 'Reports' of class 'Reports Configuration' in the scope of array <server>.

In my case have 2 x TMG appliances which are load balanced, the second acting as the reporting server. This error occurs when running monthly reports, on a TMG server which is not configured as the reporting server. Running the monthly reports directly on the Reporting server works.

My advice, make sure you running the report on the reporting machine of the array if there is one. Hope this helps.

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 12:04 PM
  • Try Netfee for TMG.

It can help you to create report correctly.

It need to change log to w3c or TMG file format.

Http://www.netfeesoftware.com

• Edited by tianyu.liu Tuesday, January 10, 2012 2:17 PM
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 2:09 PM
  • I also have TMG 2010 SP2 and installing SP1 update 1 rollup 4 does not seem to be the way to go.

Any news from Microsoft people?

Thanks,

LN

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 1:10 PM
  • Yet, Ahmet Abdagic has marked his response as an answer ! LOL.

It is about time someone changed this state of Ahmet Abdagic and can Nick Gu - MSFT make the change.

Back to the problem, i solved this by taking out the Exchange Edge  and Forefront Protection for Exchange 2010 out from the TMG.

Reports worked everyday from that day. Even better, with a stable TMG, i manage to add an addiitional network card to create a DMZ and deployed Lync Edge :)

Regards

Sarbjit

Sarbjit Gill

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 2:18 PM
  • Netfee is cool but i don't want to put anything besides TMG and Windows built in components on a TMG. Trust me.

Regards

Sarbjit Singh

Sarbjit Gill

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 2:20 PM
  • Any news regarding this issue? TMG 2010 SP2 can't gererate User and Site Activity reports.

Thursday, February 16, 2012 7:51 AM
  • The same problem. Version TMG is 7.0.9193.500. Where are all microsoft's MVP? Can any of them help?
    Monday, February 27, 2012 12:39 PM
  • Hi, it seems the solution here is to split TMG separate from Exchange Edge+Forefront for Exchange Protection 2010.

This worked for me and still working now.

i think re-configuration of the Edge + TMG + FF would also work. When running Edge + TMG, almost all management is done from TMG esepcially with FF in the same box.

Sarbjit

Sarbjit Gill

Monday, February 27, 2012 12:55 PM
  • Hi, it seems the solution here is to split TMG separate from Exchange Edge+Forefront for Exchange Protection 2010.

This worked for me and still working now.

i think re-configuration of the Edge + TMG + FF would also work. When running Edge + TMG, almost all management is done from TMG esepcially with FF in the same box.

Sarbjit

Sarbjit Gill

This is not my case.
    Tuesday, February 28, 2012 2:01 PM
  • Apologies for assuming.

Can i know what is your case ?

Regards

Sarbjit Gill

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 2:04 PM
  • I'm sorry I was offensive.

TMG installed only as web-proxy. There is no exchange server in the company.

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 2:31 PM
  • No worries, not offensive.

If the web-proxy, domain member?

Regards

Sarbjit Gill

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 2:43 PM
  • Yes, it's domain member. It can generate one time report for any period of time. It can generate user activity report but only for 1 day or less, if I choose a week or a month report I recieve the error message as in the first post.

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 4:51 PM
  • To remove the obvious, which you might have missed, have you gone thru this list.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff849731.aspx

Regards

Sarbjit Gill

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 6:22 PM
  • I do. Reports works but when it's not large. It's perfectly works when I choose users with minimal web traffic (any perod of time) but when I choose users that using internet a lot TMG gives me an error. It's looks like a timeout error.
    Wednesday, February 29, 2012 1:00 PM
  • ah... what is the server spec running TMG ... CPU/MEMORY.

this i agree when the load of traffic goes really high, this happens.

Sarbjit Gill

Thursday, March 01, 2012 1:34 AM
  • TMG 2X Xeon E5345(2.33 GHz) 12 GB Ram

TMG2 2X Xeon 5120(1.86 GHz) 8 GB Ram

Report server is TMG.

I think that 40 MB per day is not really high traffic but maybe i'm wrong.

Thursday, March 01, 2012 8:37 AM
  • Any update on this issue?

I am seeing the same error on my TMG Standard box running version 7.0.9027.400. This box also got Exchange Edge and Forefront Protection for Exchange installed on it.

As soon as I run any report I received the error

This appears to be a bug, Microsoft can you please fix?

Friday, March 02, 2012 5:26 AM
  • Download hotfix http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2649961.

It's works for me.

Friday, March 02, 2012 7:06 AM
  • Good to know it worked for you.

Regards

Sarbjit Gill

Monday, March 05, 2012 2:31 PM
  • Nguyen, you better off keeping the Exchange Edge + FFP for Exchange on a separate box from the TMG.

This is the whole issue with the control service. IF is done correctly from the beginning of installation, it works but trying to fix a installation / administration issue which is not working, it not going to work.

Regards

Sarbjit Gill

Monday, March 05, 2012 2:34 PM
  • Just tried this update on a machine with TMG SP2 + Exchange Edge 2010 + Forefront Protection for Exchange 2010.

It did not fix the report issue.  :(

Regards

Sarbjit Gill

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 4:19 PM
  • Please follow this KB article.

FIX: Threat Management Gateway 2010 administrators may be unable to generate reports

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2624178

When the SP2 Rollup1 doesn't fix the issue, it means that you still get a timeout as the report generation takes longer than 5min. You have to modify some registry keys according to your needs. This is explained in the article.

OB

• Proposed as answer by richard_artes Saturday, July 21, 2012 7:33 PM
    Thursday, March 08, 2012 2:42 PM
  • We happen to encounter the very same issue at a customer.

There is only one thing we notice. The error only occurs when you have an array of two or more array members. When you have an array with a single array member, the reports a generated perfectly.

I have implementated several TMG arrays at customers. This is the first time I encounter this issue. Any suggestions?

Boudewijn Plomp, BPMi Infrastructure & Security

Friday, October 12, 2012 7:13 AM
  • I was able to solve my issue. In our case it appears to be an communication problem with Intra-Array interface. Actually it was a network problem with the VLAN these interfaces where on. Our array-members are devided over two datacenters.

If you encounter this problem with an TMG array. Then temporary configure your array-members with their internal IP Address for Intra-Array communication. If the reports can then be genereated you can be pretty sure you have a problem with your intra-array network interface. This can of course cause the time-out.

Boudewijn Plomp, BPMi Infrastructure & Security

Friday, October 12, 2012 12:04 PM
  • Greetings Boudewijin,

What you said "The error only occurs when you have an array of two or more array members", is not true.

i am having this problem and others are well, with only one array member.

Regards

Sarbjit Gill

Sunday, October 14, 2012 3:31 AM
  • I got the same problem with one array, I try to fix but it seem useless , so I use this method to create report instead by going to SOAP endpoint. Even it need to select a report but it faster & reliable than report in TMG itself.

http://127.0.0.1:8008/Reports_ISARS/Pages/Folder.aspx

Monday, November 26, 2012 3:19 AM