none
DA on Server 2012 working almost perfectly. No information listed in remote client status or dashboard.

Question

• Hello, I have successfully configured DirectAccess on Server 2012 with a single network card and have our edge firewall configured to allow port 443.  Everything is working.  Clients that we have configured are able to access internal network resources without issue. Both clients that I have tested are using IP-HTTPS for the connection.  One is a Windows 7 client and the other Windows 8.  No issues on either one. However, when I go to the Remote Access Server Management there is no client information listed on the dashboard or the Remote Client Status page.  See below:

Everything looks okay, but we have two to four clients connected all the time.  Nothing is listed there.  I know I am connected and using DirectAccess because I took the two screenshots above over an internal RDP server.  I have checked the RemoteAccess Management Service and all of its dependencies.  There are no issues with any of them and everything is running without error.

Any ideas?

• Edited by Blurn Sunday, December 23, 2012 6:46 PM Clarity
    Sunday, December 23, 2012 6:43 PM

Answers

• Just wanted to update anyone that viewed this:

I have solved the issue.  Looking at setup guides and best practices I realized that Windows Firewall is a requirement because it does more than just block/allow connections.  The firewall was turned off via GPO.  I enabled it on both clients and server with the DirectAccess generated GPOs (WMI filtered).  It also fixed some other issues I didn't realize I had.

So, Windows Firewall with Advanced Security is VERY important.

• Marked as answer by Blurn Saturday, December 29, 2012 6:25 AM
    Saturday, December 29, 2012 6:25 AM

All replies

• Just wanted to update anyone that viewed this:

I have solved the issue.  Looking at setup guides and best practices I realized that Windows Firewall is a requirement because it does more than just block/allow connections.  The firewall was turned off via GPO.  I enabled it on both clients and server with the DirectAccess generated GPOs (WMI filtered).  It also fixed some other issues I didn't realize I had.

So, Windows Firewall with Advanced Security is VERY important.

• Marked as answer by Blurn Saturday, December 29, 2012 6:25 AM
    Saturday, December 29, 2012 6:25 AM
  • Hi, I am also facing same problem, can you guide me what settings you applied in DirectAccess generated GPOs.

Waiting for your kind response.

Thanks

Sunday, December 30, 2012 12:07 PM
  • blurn please can u tell me which firewall setting you modified or enabled? 
    Thursday, May 16, 2013 7:05 AM